Login

russian armor

Relic - A Word About Modding: Our Rules and Guidelines

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
26 Mar 2015, 19:34 PM

Says you

No, says how online DLC content works. You pay for the commanders to use them in automatch, you can also get them randomly via war spoils if you wait long enough.

Relic isn't going to lose DLC sales if people are using DLC commanders in custom games.
26 Mar 2015, 19:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge

They are if people are only playing mods to get access to DLC; now that seems unlikely because mods don't get popular enough.

However if a small group of people who only play each other create a mod for that purpose then relic are losing out.
26 Mar 2015, 19:45 PM

They are if people are only playing mods to get access to DLC; now that seems unlikely because mods don't get popular enough.

However if a small group of people who only play each other create a mod for that purpose then relic are losing out.

Losing out on a tiny amount of DLC sales is worth not alienating the entire modding community. This little temper tantrum by Relic about mods is so painfully dumb considering mods are what keep people playing their older games.

If people are violating the ToS through mods then deal with that when it comes up, don't write a blog post that amounts to a giant flaming middle finger to modders.
26 Mar 2015, 20:26 PM
Benefactor 115

Actually the giant flaming middle finger to modders is how limited your options are for modding.

Currently you can make maps and edit some stats with no information on what exactly Relic intend to unlock next regarding modding. (Unit Skins, Decals, loading new models etc.)
26 Mar 2015, 21:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Offtopic: can you still not watch your OWN replays if you don't have any of the WF armies?
28 Mar 2015, 18:35 PM
Coder Red Badge

I know you don't like DLC, however using mod tools to give access to paid DLC for free to get around that is a direct attack on an element of their business model and I'm amazed that you think they would tolerate that

Except it's not; it's actually free advertising. You can access every single piece of Dota 2 DLC for free as well, but if you want to use them in proper matches you have to buy them. That's a great way to do it, provided you're confident that the proper game is the mode that the majority of people are going to want to play. Given the historical popularity of mods in CoH, that really isn't a concern at all.

I have nothing against DLC; quite to the contrary, I think it's an amazing tool when used correctly. Relic's DLC model, on the other hand, is fucking atrocious, and now they're cracking down on a modding community that barely exists because they have zero fucking clue how to manage an in-game economy. The negative publicity something like this generates costs a whole lot more than any potentially lost sales from mods that provide access to DLC content.
28 Mar 2015, 18:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge

I don't think it is coincidence that we are getting this just before the patch, so that the patch will include things that would be affected.

And really, I don't see any evidence of "cracking down", I see a notification of the terms of use - which as Somen has noticed is usually something you hide in the update and that no ne actually reads.

Apart from that the only people getting upset about this are the same people who are upset about everything
28 Mar 2015, 18:43 PM

I don't think it is coincidence that we are getting this just before the patch, so that the patch will include things that would be affected.

And really, I don't see any evidence of "cracking down", I see a notification of the terms of use - which as Somen has noticed is usually something you hide in the update and that no ne actually reads.

Apart from that the only people getting upset about this are the same people who are upset about everything

The people who actually care about this game are the ones who get most upset with Relic, hope this helps.
28 Mar 2015, 18:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

The people who actually care about this game are the ones who get most upset with Relic, hope this helps.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
28 Mar 2015, 18:49 PM
Coder Red Badge

I just think it's a very silly thing to post because it accomplishes nothing except to give the appearance that Relic is going to heavily police modded content. I also think it's a silly policy because it's counter-productive (for the reasons stated above), but they're two separate aspects of silliness.

Posting something like this doesn't improve Relic's bottom line at all; instead, it gives people another reason to doubt their ability to effectively manage a game and a community. It's a net negative, just like the toxicity post was a net negative. Why post this now instead of waiting until a problem comes up and handling things on a case-by-case basis in the meantime? It doesn't make any sense from any perspective except a strictly legal one, and you've got some serious issues if you're letting your legal team manage your game for you.
28 Mar 2015, 18:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

When you love someone you are honest to them, you don't bullshit them. You think Siberian, CieZ, Barton and all the other content producers and community organizers criticize Relic because they hate Relic and hate the game? No, they want the game to get better and part of that is being 100% honest in your appraisal of things.
28 Mar 2015, 19:48 PM
Honorary Member Badge

When you love someone you are honest to them, you don't bullshit them. You think Siberian, CieZ, Barton and all the other content producers and community organizers criticize Relic because they hate Relic and hate the game? No, they want the game to get better and part of that is being 100% honest in your appraisal of things.

Last time I checked I was a content producer and I wasn't criticising Relic

Obviously that means I'm not a true fan then
28 Mar 2015, 19:55 PM

Last time I checked I was a content producer and I wasn't criticising Relic

Obviously that means I'm not a true fan then

Well you sure do love to play down peoples legitimate concerns when they are being 100% reasonable about their distaste for Relics actions.

The thing is that you accuse legit content producers of hating Relic and always being to negative when they are criticizing Relic because they want the game to get better.
28 Mar 2015, 20:12 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It's amazing the justifications people can come up with for acting in reprehensible ways

"No I'm not exploiting a bug for shits and giggles, I'm genuinely doing this for the good of the Community because I don't believe Relic will patch it otherwise"

"Yeah, I believe Relic are venal, greedy and incompetent and I'm going to keep telling them that. I don't enjoy saying these things at all, but it's for the good of the game"
28 Mar 2015, 20:17 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Well you sure do love to play down peoples legitimate concerns when they are being 100% reasonable about their distaste for Relics actions.

I hate DLC
Here have Warspoils
I hate Warspoils

I want to be able to get CAS and Advanced Warfare
Here, have them from MWNL2
I want new content you are just being cheap

The thing is that you accuse legit content producers of hating Relic and always being to negative when they are criticizing Relic because they want the game to get better.

No, they want what they want to make the game better for them and that's a very subjective judgement
28 Mar 2015, 20:18 PM

Relic will surely improve if we sit on our asses and wait months clapping at a dancing monkey...

No. Disregard is its own punishment, and is certainly a much more realistic way to make Relic do SOMETHING.

They get payed for a reason...
28 Mar 2015, 20:18 PM

It's amazing the justifications people can come up with for acting in reprehensible ways

"No I'm not exploiting a bug for shits and giggles, I'm genuinely doing this for the good of the Community because I don't believe Relic will patch it otherwise"

"Yeah, I believe Relic are venal, greedy and incompetent and I'm going to keep telling them that. I don't enjoy saying these things at all, but it's for the good of the game"

Well the Captain's "On me" was fixed after Price started abusing it, otherwise it would be still in game.

28 Mar 2015, 20:19 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Well the Captain's "On me" was fixed after Price started abusing it, otherwise it would be still in game.

Yeah, he's a real hero...
28 Mar 2015, 20:20 PM

Except none of the people I have mentioned have said these things. They have all been more than reasonable in express disappointment with Relic's DLC model, the massive amount of bugs still in the games years after release, and the lack of communication with the community as well as a distinct lack of new content and patching.

Thinking Relic won't patch something is absolutely correct thinking because they have failed to patch obvious stuff in the past, and saying Relic is incompetent isn't exactly without evidence when they say their maps go through a lot of QA, but all the maps are terrible.
28 Mar 2015, 20:21 PM

Yeah, he's a real hero...

That shows how the community can achive something...Relic would never have bothered with that bug.
PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS