Login

russian armor

Relic - A Word About Modding: Our Rules and Guidelines

• This thread is locked
PAGES (5)down
29 Mar 2015, 03:02 AM

I find the fact that they say we can't grand DLC Commanders specifically in mods for free even though their war spoils system already grants free DLC commanders. Kind of contradicting....

they're words of fear. it's a we play by their rules, or else, sort of deal. at least that's how i read it.
29 Mar 2015, 13:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Mar 2015, 21:49 PMRMMLz

I think they are not confident with their game. They think that if people have access to core files and can actually make a better game than them, they will lose credibility.

KO comment.
30 Mar 2015, 15:07 PM

Relic just needs to stop pretending like everyone doesn't already know they squandered millions of dollars in funding to mod the Essence engine for the third time.

It's taken literally hours for the community to make sweeping changes to the engine with the crippled tools they've provided and I can tell you there's zero justification that the funding they've used over time has gone towards anything tangible.

This is why I am pretty sure that there's so much legal tone to this. There's AAA funding at work in this game and nothing/very little to show for it.
30 Mar 2015, 18:32 PM

There's AAA funding at work in this game and nothing/very little to show for it.

When i saw the thread saying CoH2 sold X million copies and i look back at CoH2, i wonder where the hell the money from the sales went.
30 Mar 2015, 20:40 PM

I'm proud to say I'm probably partly responsible for this section:

"Community created mods cannot grant all pay-for DLC content to users of said mod.

Mods cannot grant an entire list of DLC content within one specific category (e.g. a mod cannot grant all USF commanders, or all OKW commanders)."

I made the mod that gave all commanders for free including non-released ones :D
30 Mar 2015, 21:01 PM

I'm proud to say I'm probably partly responsible for this section:

"Community created mods cannot grant all pay-for DLC content to users of said mod.

Mods cannot grant an entire list of DLC content within one specific category (e.g. a mod cannot grant all USF commanders, or all OKW commanders)."

I made the mod that gave all commanders for free including non-released ones :D

I still have that mod and i thoroughly enjoy the leaked commanders...

But how would making mods that include DLC content be different than your mod which gives CLOSED ACCESS YOU WOULD 99% USE AGAINST AI? Relic is being pretty insecure in this situation...

Joining a random lobby would put you at a disadvantage compared to the host who controls all the options. I dont know how unofficial mods can create the reaction that it puts a player at a disadvantage... Certainly does not sound like the current official game we have Kappa...
30 Mar 2015, 21:03 PM
Patrion 28

30 Mar 2015, 21:17 PM

How does USF and OKW getting new commanders have anything to do with getting stuff fixed? The balance, bug, and development departments are all different.

That's neither true nor false. The balance team were (are?) also the ones that fix the bugs which are just lines in the code. Like the T34 having a one second too short reload and such. There is also a rumored QA team - I won't say anything more about this, but looking at the credits tells a lot. Then there is the development team, which is different from them all. Yet what is the problem? All of them require engineers to do certain things that go beyond the scale of a designers knowledge - so even though the front is different, the back isn't, which means heavy focus on one of those elements can also hinder the others, simply due to the bottleneck.

Regarding the "No mods that release DLC content for free". Not really surprised. DLC content is still paid-for content. The fact you have a chance to unlock it it for free via War-Spoils does not mean it suddenly is free. If the mod does nothing but unlocking the DLC content then it adds nothing to the game. I am not even sure if it would qualify as a mod in the standard definition, as it goes against the ethics and ideas of modding.

I honestly found the EULA rather weird in other aspects like "Mods cannot include imagery or material that is offensive to Relic Entertainment or the Company of Heroes Brand (as determined in our sole discretion)" offering a free out of Jail card for any reasoning to ban a mod. On the other hand the whole EULA is presented in a way that would most likely not prevail in court. It's released after creation already happened and it's only visible online for legacy content and users. So basically anything prior to this should be unaffected by the EULA, at least where I'm living. :o
30 Mar 2015, 21:49 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

^^ ^^

Sounds about right :)
20 Jun 2015, 20:48 PM

not happening

Not with that attitude!
20 Jun 2015, 21:11 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Not with that attitude!

Don't necro! It has taken you three months to respond.. If you feel strongly, then start a new thread. Thanks.

PAGES (5)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment