Login

russian armor

2 new USF commanders (ideas)

nee
28 Mar 2015, 07:26 AM

Mobile Assault Company
Rapid Capture (1 CPs)
Designate a priority sector for capture, temporarily increasing the capture rate of any unit inside it.
• Increase capture speed by 50% in selected sector (lasts 30 seconds)
• Free ability
• 90 second cooldown

Armored Advance (2 CPs)
Temporarily allow all US Forces vehicles to capture territory sectors.
• Vehicles and tanks can capture sectors without disembarking crew (25% decreased capture speed)
• Presence of enemy infantry in sector will stop capture
• Costs 50 munitions and lasts for 60 seconds

Armored Sprint (4 CPs)
US Forces vehicles will move and fire more quickly for the duration of the ability.
• 75 munitions
• All vehicles gain 20% increased speed and rate of fire; tanks gain 20% increased turret traverse rate
• Lasts 15 seconds

M18 Hellcat (6 CPs)
Deploy an M18 Tank Destroyer. The Hellcat can camouflage when off-road and out of combat. Its first shot out of camouflage will always penetrate, though its 76mm gun is best used in flanking attacks.
• 250 MP, 80 fuel
• Fast tank destroyer that can cloak when off-road and out of combat (inherent ability)
• First shot from cloak guarantees penetration
• At rank 2, gains Concealing Smoke ability (25 munitions)
• Same armor as M10, but less HP

Allied War Machine (9 CPs)
Allied Command will grant replacement manpower and fuel for each unit lost while this ability is active. Only units lost in enemy or neutral territory will yield resources.
• 150 munitions for 30 second duration
• 120 second cooldown
• Combat losses in hostile or neutral territory generate manpower and fuel
• 20% of manpower cost recouped and a flat fuel amount recouped for infantry losses; vehicle losses return 20% of fuel cost

A comment regarding USF commander names: Relic seems to want them to reflect the way actual companies were named, re armour company and airborne company, etc. In that case "Mobile Assault" doesn't sound right. Perhaps something like "Cavalry Company" might be more suitable since the theme is something emphasizing speed and the attack.

Rapid Capture is nice but with zero cost it seems quite powerful, even the more trivial abilities like Radio Silence cost munitions. German abilities apply only to decapture, not capture rate, unless the ability is bugged or isn't doing what the text says it should.
Armour Advance seems pointless due to Rapid Capture, I think it should be discarded. We already have USF vehicle being able to dismount crews to do it, and this leaves an extra slot for more abilities, like a classic recon plane to scout out which area needs to be assaulted.
Sprint sounds too much like a cheat: every vehicle gets blitz ability and more. Perhaps instead a ripoff of the AA ability "Combined Arms" would work nicely- that is, units in proximity fight more effectively, perhaps more so or only if in enemy/neutral territory?
M18 is nice, but maybe not for this doctrine idea, I think it should be found more in an Anti-Tank or Tank Destroyer Company idea with abilities oriented towards AT defense (apparently despite being fastest TD in the war, M18s performed abysmally compared to the envision role and excelled in the defensive).
Problem I have with Allied War Machine is that it basically lets you spend munitions you gain from quickly taking sectors to play sloppily with your units because you will get them back if you lose them. Even worse, on top of that you gain extra resources for losing your men, including infantry. Far too OP. I think an off-map artillery that supports an assault would do better, like Pinpoint Artillery.
Another idea worth thinking is a Command Tank call-in, could just be a 76 Sherman with a permanent Radio Network that affects all nearby friendly vehicles, including those that normally don't get/give the Radio Network buff. Rate of fire and sight range is improved for all affected units, and the command Sherman's veterancy will improve these buffs gradually.

Artillery Company
Support attacks with a wide variety of indirect fire options. All officers can act as local artillery spotters while long-range 105mm batteries keep enemy vehicles at bay. Against heavy troop concentrations, call in advanced T40 Rocket Launchers to saturate the area with 7.2” high explosive rockets.

Light Mortar Team (0 CPs)
Deploy an M2 Mortar Team to the battlefield to provide indirect fire support. Effective against infantry and can fire M83 Illuminating Cartridges for reconnaissance.
• 3-man weapon team
• 240 manpower
• Comes with free smoke barrage
• Rank 1 gains Illuminating Cartridge to reveal fog of war (30 munition cost)
• Rank 2 gains increased HP and faster setup/pack time
• Rank 3 gains increased range and rate of fire

Recon Overflight (2 CPs)
Two high-altitude recon planes will perform a 10-second overflight of the target area.
• 2 P-47s circle target location for 10 seconds
• 80 munitions
• 30 second cooldown

Artillery Spotters (4 CPs)
The Lieutenant and Captain gain the ability to call pinpoint artillery strikes for 80 munitions. This ability is only available at veterancy rank 1.
• Lieutenant and Captain may also call artillery strikes
• Both strikes cost 80 munitions and drop 4 shells after 6-second delay and smoke
• Ability does not improve with veterancy ranks 2 and 3

Anti-tank Overwatch (9 CPs)
Off-map batteries will automatically fire on enemy vehicles in the target area for the duration of this ability.
• 150 munitions, lasts 15 seconds
• Off-map artillery identifies vehicles in a large target area and automatically fires shells
• Drops smoke and shows radius of effect to opponents
• 3-second delay
• Best used on snared vehicles

T40 Whizbang Rocket Launcher (12 CPs)
Deploy a T40 Whizbang Rocket Launcher mounted on an M4 Sherman to the battlefield. Devastates infantry formations and static structures from afar, and able to defend itself with the Sherman's 75mm main gun.
• 380 MP, 160 fuel
• Sherman equipped with rocket launcher ability, 90 second cooldown
• Fires 20 HE rockets most effective against infantry, weapon crews, structures and light vehicles; will do some damage to heavy armor as rockets may score rear armor hits
• Fires main gun with slower turret traverse and 10% slower rate of fire, AP rounds only
• May not mount MG
• Slower top speed and acceleration than regular Sherman
• At rank 1, gain Concealing Smoke
• At rank 2, reduce rocket barrage cooldown by 10 seconds; increased vision range
• At rank 3, reduce rocket barrage cooldown by additional 10 seconds; increased range

The M20 is OK, I think it's a little redundant given the non-doc artillery options USF already have. It would have to occupy some niches like firing raster or can camouflage or something.
Recon flight is OK, I'm never too keen on that ability though, since it's not only a plane that can be shot down or not something you can really rely on with timing, but that's just my bias.
Artillery Spotters seem pointless: first the officers need vet1 just for the change, then it costs munitions to perform what the Major can do. perhaps an improvement is a Victor Target ability similar to that used by Brits in CoH1: all owned artillery units like pack howitzer and M8 Scott would fire onto the target, regardless of range, but accuracy will be negatively affected for balance. It could even mark a point on the minimap to allow allies to also fire their artillery regardless of range. This ability could also replace the need for recon overflight or even the light mortar idea.
AT overwatch is really nice, it was nifty in AA. I think an addition (or a alternative) idea is that it also has chance to suppress infantry if they happen to be in the splash radius; if consistently suppressed they may be pinned. Another balance consideration is that the overwatch ability only stuns or inflicts critical damage to the vehicles, so while they will rarely destroy them outright, they are prone to being crippled so that other units can finish them off.
I don't like the T40 idea though, it's just an inbreeding of a Sherman with a Katyusha, especially if it can fire main gun. I think a simpler idea would be off-map rocket barrage of the same weapon, which could replace one of the other ideas.
On the whole the idea is a bit limited in that it's just officer unlocks plus two artillery units on top of the two USF already has, and two offmaps. I think something like Rifleman Forward Observers or evn I&R Pathfinders might be more useful.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★