Login

russian armor

Turn I&R Pathfinders to Snipers?

23 Mar 2015, 22:35 PM

JLI have a more direct combat role, Pathfinders have a utlity role with their three deployable scanners.

how much more effective JLI are, i havent used them so I wouldn't know.

I do know that Pathfinders can be modifed with BARS and when I used them before I put down the faction, can track enemy armies efficently, and provide reinforcement points for airborne squads.
23 Mar 2015, 22:47 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2015, 22:35 PMUnited
JLI have a more direct combat role, Pathfinders have a utlity role with their three deployable scanners.

My point exactly.

What else has a utility role? Engineer units.

How do they differ from mainline infantry? Much worse in combat, but has utility, costs much less and takes up much less pop.

How does Pathfinders differ from JLI? Worse in combat, but has utility in their beacons and...has utility in their beacons.

:(

Of course the divide between Pathfinders and JLI in combat isn't precisely like that between engineer units and mainline infantry...but I'd also hardly say JLI's booby traps aren't utility as well.

I'd be happy using Pathfinders and their beacons with Paras if I had some goddamn pop with which to get Paras still while having Pathfinders. Of course, playing the Americans quickly consists of wishing you had pop in general.
23 Mar 2015, 22:52 PM

Yes, that was my point. I was aiming to have JLI's health max toned down, however, to reflect their current DPS and to avoid overlap with dedicated 'snipers'.

It was only a thought experiment anyway, but I'd sure prefer it.

Pathfinders just need some help, JLI are fine as they are now.
24 Mar 2015, 17:51 PM

Pathfinders just need some help, JLI are fine as they are now.

...Did you even try read my original post?
24 Mar 2015, 17:52 PM

...Did you even try read my original post?

Yes, you said you wanted Paths and JLI to crit at 40%, which would be a nerf to JLI who only have 1 rifle as opposed to the Pathfinders two rifles.
nee
28 Mar 2015, 13:42 PM

I think the USF has the unique opportunity in implementing sniper roles in multiple units. First, the Airborne Pathfinders are pretty much the equivalent, though I believe their sniping is depending on the health of the unit rather than the classic sniper style unit we're familiar with through the Ostheer.
Second, Riflemen could implement this through a copy of Brits' Marksmen upgrade in the first COH1 game: basically a different method of using recon for Riflemen is to unlock a Springfield Upgrade, which once complete trades firepower for line of sight and ability to use Deploy Marksman, allow you to selectively pick off units like Obersoldaten for munitions and cooldown.
Obviously this idea will never go alongside Pathfinders, and the two are different enough to justify existing in the same faction: pathfinders are more like scouts that just happen to also be able to give instakills to units below a certain amount of health, and Riflemen with a Springfield is a dedicated sniper unit with numbers and according firepower to remain a mainstay combat unit. For balance the Springfield upgrade could occupy two weapon slots, or provide two Springfield, so you can never have a Sniper Rifleman squad that can also use a bazooka or LMG.
I can't imagine implementation being that hard: you just link the Pathfinder's rifle texture and icon to Riflemen via the upgrade, and use the Assassinate ability found in the AA campaign, which performs exactly the same thing.

As for I&R Pathfinders I was always under the impression that they still performed like Airborne Pathfinders? I don't know I don't have that commander.
28 Mar 2015, 13:50 PM

They are a bit to expensive reduce mp to 180 for the squad.
But as a support unit they do their jobs well.
28 Mar 2015, 14:02 PM

How about making them spawn from buildings? Or reduce the cost.
28 Mar 2015, 21:22 PM

Spawn from buildings and call in Arty will be OP.
28 Mar 2015, 21:54 PM
Patrion 14

and get wiped on retreat.
nee
29 Mar 2015, 04:53 AM

Regular Pathfinders can spawn from buildings in AA. Would be a nifty doctrinal ability, even if they're not the I&R type.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★