Login

russian armor

Your Map Veto Guides

14 Mar 2015, 08:57 AM

As per a suggestion in the Shoutbox, I thought I'd create a space where people could offer their current map veto recommendations for COH2 and provide some justification for those decisions. There never seem to be enough vetoes, personally, so I expect people will have varying suggestions.

Here are my suggestions for vetoing in 1v1:

USF
Map: Langreskaya
Reasons: Just a bit too open. Rifles can get mowed down at a distance by LMGs due to lack of cover for flanking. The games on this map always go so long that you'll probably have to deal with serious heavy armour as well (although Jacksons will have room to counter).

Map: Crossing in the Woods
Reasons: Much the same as above.

Map: Minsk Pocket
Reasons: Stalemate map. Very limited flanking opportunities. Substantial risk of late game Axis weaponry breaking through your lines easily.

OKW
Map: Stalingrad
Reasons: Allied infantry generally favour close range combat. Volks prefer range, and sturmpioneers are expensive, slow to build, and fast to die. There are also key points where infantry can garrison very solid buildings and OKW have no effective means of countering beyond overwhelming numbers or infiltration grenades.

Map: La Gleize Breakout
Reasons: This map is filled with garrisonable buildings at key areas. OKW have to rush the buildings first, or use infiltration grenades to stand a chance.

Map: Semoskiy Winter
Reasons: As with the other two, the buildings on this map can be frustrating to clear. There are also two cut-off points denying you precious ammunition constantly. I went with the snow one because snow sucks. That said, sturms aren't slowed down by it at all, so if you have to choose then this one might actually be better in some circumstances.

Wehrmacht (Ostheer)
Map: Stalingrad
Reasons: A very tight map. Grenadiers are easily rushed and MG42s lose their wide arc of fire. Assault grenadiers can be useful, but that limits your doctrine choices.

Map: Kholodny Ferma Winter
Reasons: Only one side of the map is worth holding and grenadiers are easily rushed there, or focused into mined chokepoints. Deep snow everywhere can mean your squads get wiped frequently as well.

Map: Semoskiy Winter
Reasons: Hard to hold ammunition points, and much harder to hold a vital fuel point compared to the non-winter version.

Soviets
Map: Crossing in the Woods
Reasons: Open map. Hard to flank or use molotovs.

Map: Langreskaya
Reasons: Open map. Hard to flank or use molotovs. Also practically guaranteed to last long enough for German players to get out heavy armour.

Map: Minsk Pocket
Reasons: Relatively open map. Favours long range weapons in the middle. Flanks are limited and games usually lead to boring stalemates thanks to far-back VPs and lack of cover. Optional veto, really. Soviets are probably the most flexible faction.
14 Mar 2015, 09:11 AM

Need a Veto guide?
Here it is:
Play custom maps
14 Mar 2015, 09:24 AM

Need a Veto guide?
Here it is:
Play custom maps

Not really an option for people who want ranked automatches. That said, I would certainly be interested in seeing some of the better community maps being introduced to shake up the many dubious official maps. However, that is not something I can make happen, and not the topic at hand.
14 Mar 2015, 10:45 AM

Interesting guide, but for me minsk pocket is nice map for soviets and langreskaya too.Personnaly
I like to untick whit
soviets: crossing,semois winter i dont like deep snow and khlodny winter
Usf:the same I know langreskaya is bad fo allies but its realy good for tank combat because not much obastacle so your tank micro should work here like charms and I like jacksons
okw:semois summer,stalingrad and breaktrough
ost;could I have more veto please ;)
14 Mar 2015, 15:40 PM

As for OKW, I would prefer veto semois summer, its much worse to get back to the game if u start on north and enemy locks u at ur cut off. In general I have vetoed almost same maps like you.
14 Mar 2015, 16:41 PM

My vetos:

OKW and OST:

Stalingrad: i quess you can figure it out yourself :snfPeter:

Kholodny winter: Only one munitions point, weird victory points, deep snow; i just hate this map and veto this with all factions

Minsk pocket: I know this is axis favoured map, but i just hate this map; too much pathing problems etc.

USA:

Langresgaya: this is german favoured map if they spawn south and camp with Elefant or Pak43 + scwhere flak gun and King Tiger it is too hard to counter

Kholodny winter

Minsk pocket: I just cant play this map with any faction lol

Soviets:

Minsk pocket

Kholodny winter

I dont even need third veto when i play soviets.
15 Mar 2015, 20:18 PM

A lot of hate for Minsk, it can be a weird map with the native fuels and corridor feel, but I think it can produce some great games. I esspecially love it as soviets due to the large size, so its easier to cap large parts of map as soviet.

Personally for Werh I think Faymonville sucks due to how spread out the resources are making it difficult for Werh to keep forces close together. Might depend on build and playstyle though.
15 Mar 2015, 21:27 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

20 Mar 2015, 18:24 PM

Axis: Stalingrad, Minsk Pocket

Allies: Minsk Pocket

I hate Minsk Pocket. All those trees fucks with my pathing and it's too big for a 1 vs 1 map.
26 Mar 2015, 04:53 AM

I didn't know this existed. Thank you.
26 Mar 2015, 08:01 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

My 2v2 Veto

All Variations:
Crossing in the woods. This map is made for 1v1 and it shows. The river makes sides camp their respective fuel and the map will end up in is vs ele most of the time

Hurtgen Forest
Horrible map for USF and boring to play overall as it is 2 1v1s most of the time

Ettelbruck Station
Bash your head against the enemy blob in one of the 3 lanes time and time again.

All Axis variations
Rhzev Winter. Too much walking for my volks and gren blob

2x USF
Rails and Metal. Narrow and long map is bad for the medium tank USF and you lack the katyusha to soften up concentrations

Other Allies variations
Rails and Metal or Minsk Pocket. Same problems as rails and metal
26 Mar 2015, 14:15 PM

About Stalingrad if you play OKW and you manage to get a Sturmtiger and hopefully you have either Fortifications or Specops, it just owns everything there.
26 Mar 2015, 17:36 PM
Admin Red  Badge

My 2v2 Vetoes:

Every Composition:

Hurtgen Forest since it is the most terribly balanced map I have ever seen. Southern side has easier access to both fuel points and can defend them far better.

I.) As Axis:

Rzhev and Moscow Summer and/or Winter. Rzhev is too big for a 2v2 map in my opinion and heavily favours southern side. Moscow Summer/Winter allows to flank Allies from every possible side which makes it nearly impossible to setup your defensive units to defend fuel or cut off and leads mostly to disatvantage in early game. Furthermore is the southern side favoured in this map. Northern side suffers due to many buildings surrounding the cut off to your natural fuel point combined with the fact that building clearing measures takes too much time at this stage of the game. Allies can compensate spawning on northern side due to their high mobility in early game whilst Axis can be easily cornered due to their lameness in early game. OKW can probably be better in this case since they can set up forward heal head quarters. Consquently, they do not have to retreat to main base and need a shorter way back to cut off or fuel point.

II.) As Allies:

I think here you have to differentiate between double Soviets and mixed Allies/double USF.

1.) Double Soviets:

This combination allows you to adapt to any given situation, may it be bunkerous double OKW, versatile mixed Axis or flexible double Ostheer. You have great access to indirect fire (120mm mortar, Katjusha, howitzers), strong infantry/anti infantry (conspam, guards, shocks, sniper) and tanks (T34/85, IS-2, ISU-152, M4C Sherman) as well as powerful, formation disbanding ablilities such as the flame barrage as well as abilities which are suited to destroy Axis armour such as Mark Target. Due to all these strengths it isn't necessarily required to veto maps but to make life easier. I veto Ettelbrück Station, Rails and Metals and Minsk if I feel to since all these maps favour Axis (Volks-)Grenspam as well as MG42/34 and Axis armour.

2.) Mixed Allies/Double USF:

Having one Soviet player less or none at all does considerably shrink your options. USF has weaker indirect fire options and lacks strong allrounder tanks in late game. Their infantry doesn't scale very well to Axis counterparts in late game unless you upgrade them which costs munitions you need for abilities. USF has no real counter to it like snipers. So the main part of their army, armour, can be engaged by PaK40s/PaK43s and schreck blobs as well as Axis armour quite comfortably. Losing in the early game is therefore not an option for USF unless you want to fight a strenuous yet unforgiving uphill battle. Therefore, in my opinion USF has to play the armour counter role in mixed Allies team to make it possible for Soviet player to concentrate on anti infantry measures which are desperately needed if you consider blobbing. The best doctrine to choose for this quest is Airforce whilst Soviet player has to go for 120mm mortar doctrines.
Regarding double USF I cannot further elaborate because I lack experience of it but I can say that maps such as Rails and Metals are hell to play on for double USF since their flanking potential is restricted due to map design. Furthermore, Elephants or Jagdtigers limit armoured movements and combat possibilities by an huge amount.
Vetos for Mixed Allies: Ettelbrück Station, Rails and Metals, Minsk Pocket
Vetos for double USF: same like Mixed Allies
30 Mar 2015, 12:06 PM

i think okw can ply well in semo winter,i dont like semo summer as axis.minsk is my favoriate.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 36
unknown 28
Mexico 14
Germany 884

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %