Login

russian armor

BandOfBrothers and Generation War series

13 Mar 2015, 20:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Is there any more series like this two?

Generation War is pretty much a favorite for me now.
m00
13 Mar 2015, 20:13 PM
Donator 11

I still have to check out Generation war, but I really enjoyed The Pacific.
13 Mar 2015, 20:37 PM
Donator 11

Is there any more series like this two?

Generation War is pretty much a favorite for me now.

There is Pacific.
13 Mar 2015, 20:38 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

"Generation Kill" is fantastic. It's about Iraq and not WWII. I was disappointed by "The Pacific" overall, but the last episodes (the ones about Eugene Sledge) I thought were really very good.
13 Mar 2015, 20:40 PM
Patrion 14

Make sure you see generation war ( unsere mütter, unsere vater) its fucking epic.
13 Mar 2015, 20:59 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

^^ ^^^

And in a different way, so was'Heimat'
13 Mar 2015, 20:59 PM

Band of Brothers/The Pacific, while outstanding pieces of television, in the end are for the lack of a better word conventional war movies and as such fairly onedimensional, "the Pacific" maybe less so. Both Generation Kill/War are IMO a good deal more multilayered and interesting, your mileage may vary of course. Generation Kill is also flat out hilarious, I would recommend anybody to read the book.
14 Mar 2015, 00:04 AM

Generation Kill is a great portrayal of the Iraq War, honest, without an agenda, feels almost journalistic in it's approach. Some freaking hilarious scenes, other shocking and revolting, won't say more not to spoil you. I've always saluted the USA's capacity of self criticisms and reflection during major conflicts (See Korea/Vietnam/both gulf wars). Europeans rarely allow the the media to touch the subject while a war is ongoing. Takes us about 10 years to let the air clear up, and make a film or series about it.

Generation War, well it's decent, but has an agenda unlike Generation Kill, it's not an honest series. it's true that characters are not one dimensional hero types and eventually acknowledge their shared guilt. But the series is basically filled with the same self pity, "germans were all poor victims tricked by Hitler and suffered for it" crap. This is mainly due to the characters being in their 20s, and not showing the 30 to 50 year old fellas who built Nazism and benefited from it and wanted the III Reich to win. It also portrays Nazis like Aliens, a separate entity different from the characters or the viewers, 'Mothers & Fathers". However, the series takes some brave steps in portraying the Wermarcht's war crimes, dispelling to a large audience the myth that only the SS/Gestapo committed them. Still worth watching thought!

Not a series, but Indigènes (Days of Glory its the English title) is the most recent French WW2 movie that comes to mind. Perspective from French colonial troops with several mulitlayered characters that have to deal with racism and discrimination, starts in north Africa, then Italy, ends in France. The movie is driven by a political agenda though, calling for pensions rights of soldiers from the former French colonies (In which it succeeded).
14 Mar 2015, 00:25 AM
Patrion 14

so you are looking for good war series?

doesn't matter. i recommend The Wire
14 Mar 2015, 00:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2015, 00:25 AMpigsoup
so you are looking for good war series?

doesn't matter. i recommend The Wire

Recommend it too, it's the same show-runner of Generation Kill, David Simon is the man!
14 Mar 2015, 00:34 AM

a friend and i were discussing this early last week and he recommended a film called 9th company. no idea what it's about.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★