Login

russian armor

New Sub-Forum - The Library - dedicated to history

10 Mar 2015, 12:12 PM

Just an idea that's been bumping around in my head for a while.

Given that a lot of our topics devolve into historical debates, I think it would be worth having a seperate sub forum dedicated to those, rather than having a bunch of balance threads always devolving into historical debate.

Plus personally, I like discussing history, particularly on applying history in games. :)

Call it The Library or something.

Hell, I'll even moderate it if no one else will. :D
10 Mar 2015, 12:31 PM
Patrion 14

I like this idea !
10 Mar 2015, 12:32 PM

As someone who is just finishing his Bachelor in History i dont know if it would be a good idea to let amateur "historicians" discuss semi historical stuff on a greater basis.
The discussion that do happen here most of the time get way out of line. Mostly due to people not havin real sources for their arguments. Reading that stuff just makes me annoyed. People should at least say where they get their information from, and a lot of it IS just stuff that they are guessing or have heard "somewhere".
But if more people want this, Meh. I just wont dare to wander into that subforum :P
10 Mar 2015, 12:41 PM

I think Total War Center is a good example of a site where its history forum is pretty vigorously moderated and controlled. I believe there's a forum dedicated to general historical discussion and then a subforum where the truly detailed topics are kept and where all points are required to be backed up by sources etc.
10 Mar 2015, 13:13 PM

As someone who is just finishing his Bachelor in History i dont know if it would be a good idea to let amateur "historicians" discuss semi historical stuff on a greater basis.
The discussion that do happen here most of the time get way out of line. (...)

I know what you mean and I share your thoughts, but in the General World War 2 Discussion Thread it works quite well. And after some time you know the quality of some posts and know who is trolling and who is serious.

I mean I find it interessting to share opinions of different people from different countries beyond the historiographical debates although this is the internet and not a seminar of historiography.

The idea to have a thread for history in general is a nice idea. :)
10 Mar 2015, 13:15 PM

I can't believe someone would oppose this idea. So what if some amatuer historians want to argue about history? They can do all they want.

I mean they often start into flame wars but i think thats very good for the forums Kappa
10 Mar 2015, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2015, 13:15 PMBurts
I can't believe someone would oppose this idea. So what if some amatuer historians want to argue about history? They can do all they want.

I mean they often start into flame wars but i think thats very good for the forums Kappa

Yes you´re right. Like a german saying roughly translated: It is like dancing with eggs. But it can work and does in the WW2 General Thread.
10 Mar 2015, 13:47 PM

We English speakers have a similar saying, in our case its "walking on eggs".

I think the German saying sums up what's meant better though. :) I think breaking the eggs is a forgone conclusion in the English version.
11 Mar 2015, 22:16 PM

It's a good idea. But only if it is vigorously moderated.

The General WW2 Discussion thread had a bad start, due to a 2 or 3 pages long knife fight between two posters. Then it went silent for a while. Took the thread a couple of weeks to have meaningful contributions again, right now the thread is on healthy state. I mostly ask questions on that thread, and some posters are very knowledgeable about WW2 and can debate in a mature way.

Thus I think this can work if people are not allowed to go off-topic too much; and especially as long as the usual SS Mystical Elite German armour Wikipedia trash spammers with their cardboard arguments and intellect of an Ape are vigorously moderated.
28 Mar 2015, 11:17 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Thanks to Janne, you got what you wished for, guys!:)

It might be an idea to use this thread to sort out the initial admin.

We cannot appoint sub-board Moderators, but hopefully you may not need much moderating :)

Subject to concensus, I envisage that any future sub-standard thread should be removed to somewhere else, probably the Scrap Yard. I can always insert a poll for a vote, where there is concern.

The Report button still exists, if needed.

Please let me know if there are other existing threads you want moved in here.

e.g. this early thread (slight necro :p )? Or maybe you want to start a new one?

http://www.coh2.org/topic/454/coh2-reading-list

28 Mar 2015, 15:07 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

GL HF with this forum. Yes, we are taking a bit of a risk, knowing that flame wars may sprout up here often, but we are confident in our moderation team led by MajorBloodnok, who will endeavor to keep things civil.

This game franchise Company of Heroes is based on one of the defining events of the 20th Century and many if not all of our families have been touched by it in one way or another. Use this forum to share stories, information, images, and opinions about World War 2, and be sure to keep our site rules in mind and show respect to one another!
29 Mar 2015, 09:05 AM

Woo!

Thanks guys. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment