5 Mar 2015, 13:27 PM

HAIL NIGO
5 Mar 2015, 13:33 PM

4 million sales! top 10 of sales in 2014

of course it's gonna be there
5 Mar 2015, 14:00 PM
Benefactor 115

What does this mean?

it means it gets ported to some kind of non-directX renderer (opengl/mantle) which would also mean Mac version and (less likely) other Linux distros support
5 Mar 2015, 15:19 PM

Well, thats probably the thing relic has been working on and excited of..:guyokay:

:snfPeter: :snfQuinn:
5 Mar 2015, 15:43 PM
Benefactor 115

yeah all those couch and pad users are very excited to play an RTS Kappa
5 Mar 2015, 16:11 PM

Will this be an RTS on a console? How will that work?
5 Mar 2015, 16:27 PM
Patrion 14

so if i get steamOS... how would that work? so i would start the computer in steam OS mode?

also does this mean better performance?
5 Mar 2015, 16:29 PM
Benefactor 115

yah, steamOS is a linux based operating system.

doesn't automatically mean better performance though, have to wait and see how good the port is.
6 Mar 2015, 11:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2015, 15:43 PMtuvok
yeah all those couch and pad users are very excited to play an RTS Kappa

probably playing this
6 Mar 2015, 12:23 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

so if i get steamOS... how would that work? so i would start the computer in steam OS mode?

also does this mean better performance?

Steam OS mode? No. SteamOS is an operating system based on Linux with the focus on gaming with Steam. It was developed for the steam machines (valve's alternative for consoles) so you are able to play on your TV with their own controlers. You can build your own steam machine though by just installing SteamOS on your computer. Correct me if I'm wrong. Haven't heard of any performance reviews.

I'm just wondering, what's the point of making COH2 (or any other RTS) available on SteamOS since it will be (most likely) terrible to play with a controller. And if you don't want to use it as a console for the living room why not just stick to windows. Guess we'll see once they are released.
6 Mar 2015, 12:37 PM
Benefactor 115

Yes Steam Machines are just regular PC and likewise you can make any PC a Steam Machine by installing Stemos on em.

As for rts on the couch, well, Valve has been claiming that their controller will be able to tackle much wider scenarios, from fps to rts (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-14-valve-shows-steam-controller-working-with-real-time-strategy) so it makes sense for them to try and get a major strategy game on their OS (they might even have supported Relic directly or financially in that).
6 Mar 2015, 12:47 PM

They also do that for people to be able to play with a console controller and mouse. They want you to be able to run everything on that platform. Otherwise a lot of people wont install it, because they'd need 2 Operating Systems.
6 Mar 2015, 12:47 PM

I'm just wondering, what's the point of making COH2 (or any other RTS) available on SteamOS since it will be (most likely) terrible to play with a controller. And if you don't want to use it as a console for the living room why not just stick to windows. Guess we'll see once they are released.

With the controller it will be surely handicapped experience vs mouse/keyboard, but maybe enough for campaign etc. The bigger point is that people who don't use Windows as their OS can play CoH2 also. SteamOS isn't just alternative for consoles, but for Windows also. Great news for people who has to keep Windows partition purely for CoH2.
7 Mar 2015, 03:11 AM

SteamOS is simply an alternate OS based on Ubuntu, a Linux derivate. So, if no fake this info basically means coh2 gets ported to Linux (as someone wrote it has to use a different graphics API , openGL, since DirectX is Microsoft only).

This port is not bound to SteamOS, SteamMachine and its SteamPad. You can play it on every Linux distrubution you are able to install steam on and proper driver support (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc.).
And of course you play it with mouse and keyboard there.

Relic/Sega won't just do this port simply cause they are such huge Linux fans. It's simply tipping into a growing market.
The SteamMachine will launch in Novemeber 2015 - next to the PS4 another assumingly big, NONE Microsoft derictX system.

Hopefully this will give the Linux market in steam, which is already quite noticable, a significant push. Big enough to get the attention for bigger publishers (and their AAA titles).

Developing crossplatform isn't anything new for their teams cause of Windows/Xbox and PS4. Hopfulley Linux will get added to that list by default in the future.

Relic and Saga for sure want to be on board, not only for sales but also to aquire the know-how for crossplaforming on Windows and Linux for future projects.

I for my part would love to switch to Ubuntu completely. I am only on Windows because of gaming (and lazyness maybe :) ).

And FYI: MacOS != Linux
MacOS is a Unix system (Darwin) which is similar to Linux but still a thing for its own and requires its own dedicated ports.
The Apple attitude, you know... "dedicated" design.

Regards
ace
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight