Login

russian armor

COH2 sold 4 million units in 2014

PAGES (10)down
5 Mar 2015, 17:37 PM

It is great to see strong sales figures, I just wish the player retention was higher.

5 Mar 2015, 17:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2015, 17:35 PMwuff

We still make games because we love making games.

I don't doubt that one second.
5 Mar 2015, 18:12 PM

Great - so now there goes the excuse for those that claim people are "entitled" asking for bug fixes etc and that Relic don't work for "free"...
5 Mar 2015, 18:15 PM
Coder Red Badge

a member of the CoH Experts clan and as such I have a reputation to live up to

lol
5 Mar 2015, 18:50 PM

The irony of all this is people who joined into the coh community late (post coh2 release) will finally figure out they've been fighting against making the game better for the past 1.5~2 years. "The game is fine as is"... Heard it a million times. Maybe you like it, but lets take a realistic perspective on the amount of players who DON'T. That's the main issue, many people play it and pass. I'm not saying casualize the game, but they could at least balance the damn thing and remove strategies that feel cheesy, make the game more tactical like how it sells itself to be. Stop blobbing effectiveness? It's a pipe dream now to ask for global upgrades, reworking of commanders, restructure of armies... fine. Just make what you've got work and fun.

In it's current state the multiplayer is frustrating. For funsies (and assuming I'm not retarded at math) if we took the 4 million in 2014 and assume they are the only 8k who regularly play the game, that's .002 that actually stick around, just in 2014. The game has been out since June 2013, that's not even counting those who pre-purchased, purchased on launch etc etc.

Where is the retention? How could it sell so much but maintain such a small regular amount of players. In my honest opinion I think just due to the first games success people bought into the second, and on top of that when it was on sale. There are now just better games out there.

By the way good points inverse, I feel the exact same way about this game as you do. I see your posts, you've been saying the same stuff for years and you're not wrong, maybe sooner than later people will stop arguing and realize you had some valid / logical points and reasons to think like you do. Just sayin.
5 Mar 2015, 19:03 PM
Benefactor 115

In it's current state the multiplayer is frustrating. For funsies (and assuming I'm not retarded at math) if we took the 4 million in 2014 and assume they are the only 8k who regularly play the game, that's .002 that actually stick around, just in 2014. The game has been out since June 2013, that's not even counting those who pre-purchased, purchased on launch etc etc.

8,000 peak concurrent players (which is a number we can find out from steam charts) doesn't equate to 8,000 active players. Judging by achievements the retention percentage is at about 4, not great by any means but better than 0.002

5 Mar 2015, 19:03 PM
Patrion 14

Maybe you like it, but lets take a realistic perspective on the amount of players who DON'T. That's the main issue, many people play it and pass....

isnt that the case with most of the more sophisticated games? im sure many many people bought it for ww2 theme and all the cool vehicles. and novelty ran out and they just stopped playing. pretty sure the reason for most of the people who dont play this game regularly isn't that they see all the balance issues, design flaws and such.

but if the game was perfect, i agree, i believe there would be much higher retention rate, but out of millions of people who bought this game, it would still look minuscule imo.

i remember when i was in middle school, i bought coh1 because i saw cool ww2 us soldiers and a plane on the back cover with cool screenshots. i thought it was a shooter like cod2, which was like the first game i got into. then i realised it was rts and i returned it lol.
5 Mar 2015, 19:21 PM
Donator 22

in 2014 ther were on average 4000 people online.
with 365days a year and 24 hours a day that makes for 35 millon hours of playing coh2.

now if you estimate the typical player to play the game for 10 hours that would mean that you had 3.5 millon people playing coh2 in 2014.

10 hours of coh2 may not seem much (i myself got 400) but i guess a lot of people got this game on sale, or as a gift and never even played it or just tested it for a couple of hours.

I would even say, 10 hours is quite a lot for an average player. Really a lot of steam games bought on sale are actually never played on average.

I like your approach, your analysis.

And in the end, it does not matter if the average is 10 or 5 or 20h ;-)
5 Mar 2015, 19:46 PM

"Dear boy?" What's that supposed to mean?

Perhaps you didn't see my elaboration, i edited it in afterwards. What i wrote was:

I grew up with a golden era of games that was not made to make shitloads of cash but to be an artistic outlet of the people making them. Games like Monkey Island, Doom, Commander Keen, Deus Ex, Worms, Omikron, Black & White, Thief etc, where made with a different mindset. I understand that the gaming industry has changed and is a completely different thing now. The games are way too advanced to make in your garage and cost way too much money to develop. However, i still don't think that just because a game makes lots of money it automatically should be seen as a great game.

Some of my fondest gaming memories comes from playing mods and they didn't make any money at all.

Aww dude I grew up in that age.
But you forgot Dune 2, Populous the Beginning and Wolfenstein 3D.
Note: Thief is my favourite game of all time.
Man what went wrong? It was looking so promising. Mind you I think the Total War games and VCoH shone through...
5 Mar 2015, 19:49 PM

Well its always good to have more people! coh2 deserves to be enjoyed by as many people as possible =)

I thought the on-line player figures were showing as relatively stable and not changing up or down for the last year.
5 Mar 2015, 19:50 PM
Coder Red Badge

Average daily players have gone up by around 2000 in the past year.
5 Mar 2015, 19:51 PM

How many of those figures are from people buying multiple factions to use on alt accounts? I myself bought 14 OKW factions during a Steam sale last year for alt accounts and other stuff, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people did the same.

LOL! Wtf Dude!!??
5 Mar 2015, 19:55 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. For clarification on my first paragraph, my teammate(If i'm playing a 2v2 ranked random) would rather leave the game than see me win due to my infamy on Gamereplays, this site, and admittedly my in-game behaviour during games. In 1v1's, my opponents go into try-hard mode if they find out it's me they're facing since apparently it's cool to go try-hard against CoH1 veterans and a member of the CoH Experts clan.

It's not really sad but quite logical. I'm a CoH1 veteran(Top 10 ranked 2v2) and a member of the CoH Experts clan and as such I have a reputation to live up to; I should be the one posting replays of my defeated enemies, and not them so thus it's why I use alt accounts for 1v1's and sometimes 2v2's.

This is sad.
5 Mar 2015, 20:16 PM
Patrion 14

4 Million copies were sold in 2014? I bet they all play in Offline modus

http://steamcharts.com/app/231430

I can't believe that millions of people buy a game without playing it even a sec?
5 Mar 2015, 20:19 PM
Benefactor 115

there are loads of people that just buy games and never play them, you also have to remember that humble bundles only now use one product key, so people will buy bundles for one or two games they want but a bunch of others games they might not care about get added to their library.
5 Mar 2015, 20:19 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I can't believe that millions of people buy a game without playing it even a sec?

Its called the GABE'S SYNDROME or just Steam.
5 Mar 2015, 20:22 PM

During steam sales, I often read about people who buy 20+ games but only end up actually downloading and installing maybe half that. Who knows? Perhaps they will play them in a year or two? Probably not, since there will be that many more games by then, but some people can't pass up a "good deal" regardless.

Edit: Also, REforever, that is one of the saddest, most pathetic things I have ever read on this site, and there have been some doozies.
5 Mar 2015, 20:38 PM

8,000 peak concurrent players (which is a number we can find out from steam charts) doesn't equate to 8,000 active players. Judging by achievements the retention percentage is at about 4, not great by any means but better than 0.002

That is a good point, I didn't take that into account. Either way the numbers still can't be too high :/
5 Mar 2015, 20:44 PM
Benefactor 115

its between ~100k to 200 k TOTAL players, games like SC2, Dota2, LoL, CS:GO, SMITE etc can have that many players online at any given time.
5 Mar 2015, 21:27 PM

Most of my friends on Steam have bought CoH2 at some point. Only a handful actually ever play it, and the rest take heavy convincing to even try a match or two. I can't even get my original vCoH buddies to play a 1v1 in CoH2. People that have tried the game know that it's more than some number tweaks away from being the game they bought/were advertised.

I'm fairly certain I will be hard pressed to convince any of them to try or buy any future Relic games/releases.

At least we have Mod Tools. I mean, I still play OMGMod from time to time.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 82

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment