Login

russian armor

Relic on update the Automatch map pool

5 Mar 2015, 01:57 AM
Senior Editor Badge

from Cynthia:

We've answered this before, but I'll answer it again. Before something goes into the auto-match pool, it has to be heavily QA'd. That requires staff resources to be pulled off of other development, and we can't always do that to put community maps in. We are aware that this is something the community wants. It comes down to resources.

Also - to the question 'how much work is there?' or the similarly (and frequently received) phrased 'how much work can it really take?!' - the answer is always 'A LOT more than the community thinks'. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, sadly

Trust me when I say that we're not sitting here going 'this would be a really easy thing for us to do and we know the community wants it, but naaaahhhh.... we're not going to do it!' - that wouldn't really make much sense, eh?

I know that you're frustrated, as are many others - but nothing is ever as easy as it seems, and there are always other related concerns that we have to consider.

There's a lot that we're working on, and it's going to take us some time - more time than you guys would like, but there isn't much I can do about that.

http://community.companyofheroes.com/forum/company-of-heroes-2/company-of-heroes-2-general-discussion/155715-update-the-map-pool

One hint from Monobacon here: http://www.coh2.org/news/31609/monolithicbacon-s-irregular-update

Sittard (which may or may not be getting celebrity status sometime soon (!!!)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275013812

During Operation Blackcock, the township of Sittard changed hands progressively, playing host to both the Wehrmacht and Allied defensive lines. Sitting comfortably upon the Geleenbeek River, the bridges of Sittard became fortresses to be held and disputed for a number of months, until the Roer Triangle began to shrink. Narrow streets, tall buildings and deadly chokepoints make Sittard a complexity, conquered only by patient and ruthless commanders; what to sacrifice and when could make the difference between three bridgeheads, or none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Blackcock

my bet: they will update the map pool on the next expansion, like always :D
5 Mar 2015, 02:09 AM
Patrion 14

gonna be interesting. . . . . . . .

the most important thing though is more vetoes.
Pop
5 Mar 2015, 02:27 AM

New maps is always something I feel I will enjoy.

Content I can get hands on with.
5 Mar 2015, 03:08 AM

Good to know Relic's expert QA team is on the case, the same expert team that gave us such great maps as:

City 17 Winter
Rostov
Hill 331
Semosiky
Moscow Outskirts
The map with all the mines in the middle that overheats your computer
Eddlefucked

and much, much more!

I look forward to a whole new host of maps that are flagrantly unbalanced because symmetry, what's that?
5 Mar 2015, 06:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I think relic is run by some bureuacratic maniac. How about they tell us what needs to be done to get a map into the mappool.
My guess:
-Localization. Map description must be made for each language. Considering they supposedly got the grammar for kholodny Ferma wrong they're using google translate.

Optimization. Is it a snow map? Your map is doomed no matter what you do. Don't think it's possible to get worse performance than on lanzerath ambush so no work needed really since that map is in rotation too.

-Balance. Considering Rostov is in rotation it's a moot point.
5 Mar 2015, 07:28 AM

Add 4 maps or however many per player count, give us 4 more vetoes. If the maps are bad, we veto them.

Simple
5 Mar 2015, 07:59 AM

I suspect this will just be a gigantic load of horse shit. Unless some one has actually made numerous changes to current maps then nothing will improve. There are very few maps that aren't favorable to certain starting positions..

It is generally accepted that maps could be greatly improved with the smallest amount of effort but relic obviously are blind to the problem.

I cannot comment on community maps as I only play automatch, maybe there are community mappers that can produce balanced maps, i certainly hope so. However i sense this is some half arsed gesture to add community maps to appease the community..

Wait n see i guess. I hope i am wrong but i have zero faith in relic...
5 Mar 2015, 08:46 AM

I think relic is run by some bureuacratic maniac. How about they tell us what needs to be done to get a map into the mappool.
My guess:
-Localization. Map description must be made for each language. Considering they supposedly got the grammar for kholodny Ferma wrong they're using google translate.

Optimization. Is it a snow map? Your map is doomed no matter what you do. Don't think it's possible to get worse performance than on lanzerath ambush so no work needed really since that map is in rotation too.

-Balance. Considering Rostov is in rotation it's a moot point.

This exactly. Need I remind you that the Germans had a m2 Browing 50.cal accuracy bulletin?

BTW, the German bulletin for Rifleman and Rear Echelon troops from Ardennes Assault says 'Riflemen cost 10% less'. (should be reinforce 10% faster)

The other two...meh. Optimisation isn't the QA team's fault, and while Rostov is terrible for competitive play, there is something unique about playing on this map.

This might be a terrible analogy, but Yugioh is probably the most pay 2 win, imbalanced, luck-based game in the world. But it's still the most popular card game by sales volume.
5 Mar 2015, 09:00 AM

I can appreciate that it might take a lot of QA time before relic puts a map into auto match but why not get the community more involved to assist with the burden? Relic already has a polling system in game. Why not use it to ask for map feedback? That way players could vote on existing maps in order to help relic identify which maps the community likes and/or feel are unbalanced.

Relic could even expand the feature further by creating a community map spotlight featuring a few community made maps each month for players to provide feedback on. Since relic refuses to place untested community maps into the auto match queue for testing purposes they could encourage testing of the featured community maps in custom games by offering bonus warspoil drops, bonus xp, or bonus supply for players testing the maps. Highly rated community maps could then be passed on for QA. Since the maps would already have been vetted by the community hopefully they wouldn't require very much if any QA work to meet relic's standards.
5 Mar 2015, 09:12 AM

Add 4 maps or however many per player count, give us 4 more vetoes. If the maps are bad, we veto them.

Simple

Shut up!!! Relic is working on more important things that you are not allowed to know about or you will have to be shot.

Also someone has to make sure to test those community maps so, balanced map doesn't sneak in.!!!

5 Mar 2015, 09:13 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Good to know Relic's expert QA team is on the case, the same expert team that gave us such great maps as:

City 17 Winter
Rostov
Hill 331
Semosiky
Moscow Outskirts
The map with all the mines in the middle that overheats your computer
Eddlefucked

and much, much more!

I look forward to a whole new host of maps that are flagrantly unbalanced because symmetry, what's that?

Rostov gets a pass because it's a TOW map, also I'm fine with a map being 60:40 so long as it's not permanently imbalanced to one side or another - which it was when there were fixed starting positions

City17 Winter and Hill 331 just demonstrate that most people can't handle anything other than a straight fight on open Steppes
5 Mar 2015, 09:52 AM

Winter 17 was on of my favourite maps and how I miss the Summer Days on Rzhev....
5 Mar 2015, 16:08 PM

Rostov gets a pass because it's a TOW map, also I'm fine with a map being 60:40 so long as it's not permanently imbalanced to one side or another - which it was when there were fixed starting positions

City17 Winter and Hill 331 just demonstrate that most people can't handle anything other than a straight fight on open Steppes

The reason people want symmetrical maps is because in competitive play you can win a game 100% of the time by just knowing how to abuse the advantage the map gives you.

You can have symmetrical maps, but still interesting maps. TF2 has proved this time and time again.

And no people hated City 17 winter and Hill 331 because both were horribly imbalanced. Hill 331 was kind of ~okay~ back in Vanilla, but the WFA factions forward reinforce make it so which ever team had the most WFA factions won.
6 Mar 2015, 13:31 PM
Patrion 28

17 winter wasn't a great map but i don't remember it having any balance issues. it was an interesting map at least and the towers gave it a nice gimmick, even if the towers were a LOT more powerful than most people realized.

summer lakes map (pretty sure it wasn't rezhev) is a similar story.

and then we have rostov...
6 Mar 2015, 13:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

But there are much better TOW maps. mud road is a cool one I think
6 Mar 2015, 13:51 PM
Senior Editor Badge

But there are much better TOW maps. mud road is a cool one I think

theres at least 5 or 6 good TOW maps ready for automatch.
7 Mar 2015, 13:55 PM
Patrion 14

There's a lot that we're working on, and it's going to take us some time - more time than you guys would like, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Take your time and better make it someting decent this time :facepalm:
7 Mar 2015, 14:37 PM
Patrion 14

I couldn't do her job, having to be a scratched record repeating the same thing over and over and over and ov....

7 Mar 2015, 14:41 PM

For the love of God, remove Stalingrad and fix Winter K. Ferma.
10 Mar 2015, 14:56 PM

I liked City 17 winter, the fuel in the hangar just favours the north team, because it is super easy to wire that shit, very easy to fix tho. Hill 331 had terrible long ways, u were punished so goddamn hard for retreating and okw laughs about that with their FHQ.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS