Login

russian armor

Soviet Flame tank counter

4 Mar 2015, 05:58 AM

IS there any reliable counter to this damn thing?

Every time I manage to really dominate into mid game, they pull this thing out and it just obliterates everything I have.

Would a Puma do it? I can't think of anything else. It can chase down volksrgrenadiers very easily and is fairly maneouverable, has thick frontal armor so side and rear shots are required. Whats worse, if it gets past your defenses (it usually does, the OKW doesn't have much mid game for anti armour) it can burn down your trucks in no time.

If I manage to lure one into a trap and blow it up, by the time I manage it, they pull out another one.

One other question - how much does the "crew stun" ability cost from the Soviet AT guns or maybe its the IS2 that does it... something did that to me Jadgpanzer 3-4 times in a row.

Danke shuhn , kamaraden!
4 Mar 2015, 06:05 AM

Further to this, rather than create a new topic - does anyone with expertise have any general tips for mid-late game?

I am fairly reliable for gaining control early into mid game or at least keeping it competitive but it gets away from me somewhere in there - I always seem to end up getting overrun with what seems like endless hordes of Soviet hordes/US tanks and I just can't replenish my troops fast enough. In the time it takes me to create 1 panther they get 4 tanks.

Verdammnt!
4 Mar 2015, 06:56 AM
Patrion 14

As OKW, you cant rely on your armor to keep up with that of your enemies. You need to put down mines and play defensively with vehicles so that you always have the homefield advantage. You volks schrecks are very good vs. medium armor, and you should always have them near enough to support your armor in a pinch. 1-2 Raketens will definetly help if you are in a position where you cant pay for shrecks.

Try using the jagdpanzer4. It is a very high DPS TD, and is only vulnerable if flanked. 2 raketens supporting it will make it the hard counter to armor, especially with mines. A kv8 (flametank) will be useless vs. a JP4 due to its terrible main gun.

On the topic of crew stun, that isnt an ability. Some vehicles (Like the IS2) have a chance to shock the crew of vehicles if they fail to penetrate.
4 Mar 2015, 08:26 AM
Patrion 14

Get a Jagdpanzer. It's great vs both the KV8 and the likely IS2.
4 Mar 2015, 08:27 AM

You can't use mines - theyre too expensive for munitions that you need for panzershreks - by the time the flame tank appears its too late. Even if you spent alot of munitions on mines and MP on rakketenwerfer, the rakken is worthless unless veteran.

I have a hard time stomaching how these flame tanks can take 5-6 panzershreks and survive. How much do they cost exactly? I've seen 3 at once before and considering how devastating they are to infantry when all I have is infantry.. I dunno.

Again, I almost always do well into the mid game (90% of the time) and then it falls apart and I lose (100% of the time). I dunno how to close out games or how I'm letting people creep back in. They use enormous tank ins or build 3-4 shermans or t34s etc and overrun my defenses.

Usually they just micro run around my infantry with the tanks so they are unable to shoot back - they wont fire the panzershrek the tank just keeps driving around them and shooting at them while htey keep trying to get out of the way of the tank. I try to spread them out so at least some of them can fire but if theres more than one tank it's useless.

In opposition to the overwhelming (omfg OKW is so OP this game is unbalanced and broken) I think OKW is actually much more difficult to win with, at least for me. I have a much easier time with the USF and soviets.
4 Mar 2015, 10:40 AM

You can't use mines - theyre too expensive for munitions that you need for panzershreks - by the time the flame tank appears its too late. Even if you spent alot of munitions on mines and MP on rakketenwerfer, the rakken is worthless unless veteran.

I have a hard time stomaching how these flame tanks can take 5-6 panzershreks and survive. How much do they cost exactly? I've seen 3 at once before and considering how devastating they are to infantry when all I have is infantry.. I dunno.

Again, I almost always do well into the mid game (90% of the time) and then it falls apart and I lose (100% of the time). I dunno how to close out games or how I'm letting people creep back in. They use enormous tank ins or build 3-4 shermans or t34s etc and overrun my defenses.

Usually they just micro run around my infantry with the tanks so they are unable to shoot back - they wont fire the panzershrek the tank just keeps driving around them and shooting at them while htey keep trying to get out of the way of the tank. I try to spread them out so at least some of them can fire but if theres more than one tank it's useless.

In opposition to the overwhelming (omfg OKW is so OP this game is unbalanced and broken) I think OKW is actually much more difficult to win with, at least for me. I have a much easier time with the USF and soviets.

A wolf pack of well microed Pumas will make short work of any Allied tank that is not Jackson, SU-85 (that one is pretty flankable), IS-2 and ISU-152. Against Jackson, you still stand a fair chance especially with smoke and if you gang on Jackson. You can get away from Jackson with some caution but it can't get away from you unless it has a defensive line waiting for it covering its retreat.

And once you get King Tiger, unless you had absolutely nothing else until that point and are completely overmatched as a player, your chances of winning dramatically increase. T-34/76 is hardly competent against the best heavy tank in the game.
4 Mar 2015, 15:02 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

3 volks and a raketen can deal with a kv8 no prob if you spread them out
5 Mar 2015, 11:49 AM
Honorary Member Badge

IS there any reliable counter to this damn thing?

Every time I manage to really dominate into mid game, they pull this thing out and it just obliterates everything I have.

Would a Puma do it? I can't think of anything else. It can chase down volksrgrenadiers very easily and is fairly maneouverable, has thick frontal armor so side and rear shots are required. Whats worse, if it gets past your defenses (it usually does, the OKW doesn't have much mid game for anti armour) it can burn down your trucks in no time.

If I manage to lure one into a trap and blow it up, by the time I manage it, they pull out another one.

Volks with Shreks by itself will be dicey, because they have vet and a muni upgrade and you don't want to lose them

Volks with Shreks by their flaktruck backed up with some raketens in nearby buildings is a better deal even without vehicles. If the KV-8 attacks the raketens first, well then they are cheap and expendable.

Raketens in buildings by your trucks is often a good idea anyway for when you are floating manpower and have nothing else obvious to buy. They won't stop anything by themselves but they will slow it up and cause damage.

One other question - how much does the "crew stun" ability cost from the Soviet AT guns or maybe its the IS2 that does it... something did that to me Jadgpanzer 3-4 times in a row.

Danke shuhn , kamaraden!

IS2 can stun stuff through RNG, it's not an ability per se.
5 Mar 2015, 12:59 PM

You must rely on mines and rakettens if you're rushing for T4 Panther. Rakettens usually penetrates and shreks do aswell at close - medium range. Every truck has good/ soft counters to it. Jagd from t2 and Puma from T3. You should not have any problems against this unless it utter surprises you. It should'nt be hard to predict it either when you see the shock troops on the field.
Mines on common spots are obv. important
6 Mar 2015, 07:31 AM

Yeah so none of that worked. As far as Im able to surmise, it mostly comes down to luck. That flame tank is way too tough to kill for just guys with AT rockets.

Any competent player doesn't just charge in with a flame tank and nothing else, they come with shock troops and MGs etc. The rakkens don't last 5 seconds they are squishy.

Panzershreks do 0 damage from the front, even from point blank, very little and sometimes 0 from the sides and it takes 5 hits from the direct rear to kill and once it takes one or two hits it just redirects and melts all of your men, even if they are spread out its easy to kill many of them very quickly.

I don't want to throw around the term "OP" or anything, but this KV-8 has ended many a game for me simply because there is no reliable counter to it and it has impenetrable front armor and can just chase down your fleeing infantry and burn them down. Not only is it seemingly better armored than a T34, it drives twice as fast as one too.

Something isn't right about this thing.

Even when I have 4-5 Panzershrek units (If i choose to lay mines, the best I can do is 2 or 3 and that's useless against this thing) it isn't enough. Last game I just played it took 3 hits to the front and they all bounced off.... but panzershreks penetrate shermans and t34s just fine.

Very aggrivating, as this always happens when im dominating the game, this thing just comes out and chases everythnig around the map and eventually comes to burn down my base nomatter how carefully I try to lure it into a trap.

I don't always lose to this, but I'd say it's in the realm of 75% of the time.
6 Mar 2015, 07:32 AM

I guess I'll have to build a Jagd or puma hit squad from now on whenever I see shock troops
6 Mar 2015, 07:46 AM

Something isn't right about this thing.

Yeah, pure anti-infantry doctrinal tank counters infantry. Something isn't right.

I suggest to try Jagdpanzer IV or luring it into a mine. Or both.
6 Mar 2015, 07:57 AM

May we have a replay plz? I find it hard to fathom a KV-8 coming out before a Panther.
6 Mar 2015, 18:55 PM

I'll try and remember to save a replay the next time a good example presents itself but it' mostly my fault for not remembering to push for a Jagd or Pumas or something ahead of time.

I just find it frustrating that it can absorb so much anti tank fire from hand held infantry weapons like it's an IS2 or something and still drive and maneouver at the speed it does.

What does it cost to call in ? Im not sure what it costs so I can't say if its unreasonable or stupid on my part that I dont have a main battle tank by the time this thing arrives but panthers are relatively expensive...

I never once claimed to be good at this lol just trying to get better here.
6 Mar 2015, 19:22 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I'll try and remember to save a replay the next time a good example presents itself but it' mostly my fault for not remembering to push for a Jagd or Pumas or something ahead of time.

Good idea.:) 2 Strategists and 2 other members of staff have already tried to guide you in this thread, w/o real insight into what may be going awry.

Post replays of your losses -preferably near wins - that way, they can help you faster, and far more effectively :;

7 Mar 2015, 00:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge

What does it cost to call in ? Im not sure what it costs so I can't say if its unreasonable or stupid on my part that I dont have a main battle tank by the time this thing arrives but panthers are relatively expensive...

It is CP9

390 MP
145 FUEL
14 POP CAP

I agree replay would help, because that arriving should be a problem, but not a game ender
7 Mar 2015, 05:15 AM

I love KV8, because the meta is luchs 1st, and if you see that, you can quickly rush for kv8 and half ignore the luchs and go for his inf and trucks before he gets his panther out.
7 Mar 2015, 08:25 AM

Yes, I've generally learned the Luchs is a luxury and often at times a very, very bad idea long term lol. Save the fuel for a real tank.
20 Mar 2015, 14:00 PM

Post a couple of replays so we can get a better idea of what you might be doing wrong and thus we would be able to better critique and advise you. Cheers.
20 Mar 2015, 14:02 PM

Good idea.:) 2 Strategists and 2 other members of staff have already tried to guide you in this thread, w/o real insight into what may be going awry.

Post replays of your losses -preferably near wins - that way, they can help you faster, and far more effectively :;

Damn it, I should have read the whole post didn't see this lol.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 54
unknown 23
Germany 18
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %