Login

russian armor

Did I do better this time?

2 Mar 2015, 11:08 AM

Hey lately I've been in terrible shape with the Ostheer so this was the first win in about 5 games. How did I do? My unit preservation is still somewhat lacking, sorry about that. It's just hard for me to divvy up my attention as of now but I hope it'll come with practice. What else could I improve?

Thanks for watching!

2 Mar 2015, 11:19 AM

I'll have a look in the morning if you like. :)
2 Mar 2015, 17:43 PM

That would be awesome!
3 Mar 2015, 02:08 AM

Ok! Thanks for uploading :)

A couple points of criticism if I may:

I'll start with your low level tactics, which for the most part were fairly sound; however, you should emphasize forming more of a front, with your MG the main point of emphasis, and the grenadiers providing supporting fire. Focus firing with your units here would also improve their efficiency. This also makes things easier to micro when you come in with a plan and what you expect from your units. Far too often did you lose men/whole units entirely from molotov's and shock nades. Not to mention buildings: which I feel you just put units in, because you couldn't come up with anything better to do with them. For instance the first pio squad in a wooden building with 1 window, is basically nothing more than a death trap, especially with heavy cover walls a step away.

Despite the game being neigh on over, losing a gren squad + mg at the end in buildings is really unacceptable and under other circumstances could've been your undoing.

Along those lines, I feel you had a few too many squads. You should be able to get by with a support weapon and 3 grens into T2. When you start to get above that mark in the early game you can start to starve yourself of MP with the reinforcing, and with the Whermacht's expensive tech structure, one squad can mean minutes on your precious tier levels.

I'll take a moment to applaud the HT as well, that was a good choice to allow you to keep the pressure on the south flank; however, with that said, it's best to pair it with a healing bunker and form a bit of a make shift fall back point, it isn't an offensive unit and unfortunately fell victim very quickly to the ZiS due to a lack of recon/misuse. A healing bunker regardless of it's position is really useful, again if you cut back on a squad, it isn't an issue.

Finally in regards to your capping order I found it incredibly strange, you mustn't disregard the benefit of the standard points, this isn't CoH1, 2 standard points can provide the income of a single specialized point. By the 5th minute your opponent had double your income in almost every aspect, because he decided to cap all the points, not rushing for a fuel for instance, (i thought the wire to be a gratuitous waste of time as well, considering it would of been just as simple to vault or go around, the time spent capping is worth more in my opinion) which leads me to the final point along capping order, the whole game you didn't cap the 3 (eventually you capped 1) points near your base, robbing you of double digits worth of income, at 11 minutes, your opponent still had twice your fuel income despite you owning half the map, you have to have to haveeeee to cap those, it really should go without saying.

I hope I didn't come off as too harsh, thank you for putting up your replay, it takes a lot of courage to put your play on display and want to improve, and I hope this input can help us all improve our games.

cheers,
3 Mar 2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the extensive review! Don't worry about being harsh, I'm fine with honest criticism.

I wasn't aware of the benefits of strategic points in this game, so thanks for pointing that out. Do you think 3 gren squads are enough? I'm asking because I see many of the top tier players have at least 4 grens before T2.

Again, thanks for your input ;)
3 Mar 2015, 23:34 PM

^^
my pleasure,

Personally I think 3 grens are enough if you're supplementing them with one other infantry squad, such as: panzer grens, assault grens, or an extra weapons squad. In your case with the, (afraid I can't remember) 2 pg's? I'm not aware of the numbers but if your army would of maintained its composition, I believe it could of cost you anywhere between 40-120 mp/m which is a lotttttt, especially when lacking a medic station or other army components.

I will add, the decision is pretty situational, by building 3 grens as a, core always have on hand army composition, you're given the flexibility and choice to requisition other units as necessary.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★