Login

russian armor

Map Hacking

• This thread is locked
27 Feb 2015, 22:25 PM

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the amount of times they have suspected their opponent of map hacking? I think it might be getting more frequent and more players resorting to cheating to help with balance.

Suspecting my opponent of map hacking has been getting somewhat more frequent for me lately, and I have put it down to the stale meta and unsatisfactory balance of the game.

So for example, in the past 2 weeks I have suspected about 3-4 opponents of map hacking, but before that it was lucky to be 1 player since release and even then I wasn't sure. But now, blatant map hacks like driving around teller mines, artying units spot on in the fog of war (every time no miss), flanking with infantry and going around mines. Completely and totally avoiding troop concentrations and attacking the most vulnerable units (every single time), with no scouting. Calling in AT Partisans in a house next to OKW truck setting up in fog of war. (If any of these can be explained please enlighten me)

I even had one player drive a single SU 85 into my base to get a shot at a Panther I was repairing, completely avoiding a concentrated attack me and my team mate were forming up for on the other side of the map in the fog of war. There was no way he could of known my base was undefended.

I know some of these things can be luck, but I find more often then not that it can't be if it keeps happening to them time and time again.
27 Feb 2015, 22:29 PM
Honorary Member Badge

you should save those replays and watch them see what he can see so to speak. it could have easily been blind luck.

edit: also please no public accustaiotns on the forums. use enforcemnt@relic.com to send them the stuff. just a reminder no rules been broken yet.
27 Feb 2015, 22:32 PM

Past the 7 years I have played coh I've maybe had around 6 to 12 suspicious players in game.
27 Feb 2015, 22:39 PM
Patrion 14

never. in like 1000s of games i played.

and at least one of those is a confirmed map hacking case by the enemy, but we didnt suspect it at all.
27 Feb 2015, 22:57 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

never until couple days ago when someone riflenades all my mines.
27 Feb 2015, 23:06 PM

I would like to hear other peoples thoughts on the amount of times they have suspected their opponent of map hacking? I think it might be getting more frequent and more players resorting to cheating to help with balance.

Suspecting my opponent of map hacking has been getting somewhat more frequent for me lately, and I have put it down to the stale meta and unsatisfactory balance of the game.

So for example, in the past 2 weeks I have suspected about 3-4 opponents of map hacking, but before that it was lucky to be 1 player since release and even then I wasn't sure. But now, blatant map hacks like driving around teller mines, artying units spot on in the fog of war (every time no miss), flanking with infantry and going around mines. Completely and totally avoiding troop concentrations and attacking the most vulnerable units (every single time), with no scouting. Calling in AT Partisans in a house next to OKW truck setting up in fog of war. (If any of these can be explained please enlighten me)

I even had one player drive a single SU 85 into my base to get a shot at a Panther I was repairing, completely avoiding a concentrated attack me and my team mate were forming up for on the other side of the map in the fog of war. There was no way he could of known my base was undefended.

I know some of these things can be luck, but I find more often then not that it can't be if it keeps happening to them time and time again.

Not ruling out your suspicions, but there are several possible explanations:
-Unless you're placing mines in really unique spots, their placement can be pretty predictable, especially on certain maps.
-Arty landing right on troops is relatively poor proof since it has pretty decent spread. Also it's not that uncommon to throw out barrages in possible locations even without sight.
-If you listen closely in the fog of war you can hear vehicles and things (possible that your opponent heard the truck and/or saw stuff get crushed?).

Like others said though, a replay is the closest to real proof you can provide, even though it's still not concrete.
27 Feb 2015, 23:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

never until couple days ago when someone riflenades all my mines.

And demos, rushes a Panther into an M3 which is hidden on a corner of the map, etc... Other top ranked AT also met them at experience the same.
27 Feb 2015, 23:08 PM
Patrion 28

only once. do not have replay; it was months ago.
27 Feb 2015, 23:19 PM

IMO if you really want to think that your enemy cheats then you will see cheating in everything.
Most of the time it's just luck or something you don't know of. A cloaked sniper etc.
I had a game in the last days where my opponent constantly commented when I called in a Tiger resulting in myself wondering how he did that. Honestly I did not think about cheating more about if he was able to hear the engine. But in the end it was the Radio Intercept.
27 Feb 2015, 23:22 PM
Admin Red  Badge

And demos, rushes a Panther into an M3 which is hidden on a corner of the map, etc... Other top ranked AT also met them at experience the same.

+1

Same stuff through the same guys here.
27 Feb 2015, 23:34 PM
Donator 33

Yeah you have to watch the replay OP because there are lots of ways to get sight, such as crawlers, pathfinders, an airstrike leaving the map etc. Setting up mines, you can be observed without noticing.
27 Feb 2015, 23:48 PM
Patrion 14

huh. that is disturbing. 2nd round of relic's ban hammer/name shaming these mofos.
28 Feb 2015, 00:27 AM

I was under the impression that this wasn't really a thing atm. Should I be looking out???
28 Feb 2015, 01:14 AM
Coder Red Badge

Maphacking is always going to be an issue in client-based games like RTS, but in reality the frequency of maphacking tends to be extremely low, and high-level play can often resemble maphacking to less skilled or less experienced players. I played CoH1 for many thousands of games and I honestly can't remember a single instance where I suspected an opponent of maphacking.

Note as well that battle servers make hack detection a lot easier for Relic. Many hacks leave telltales or traceable signatures in replays or the commands that are sent to the battle servers, which can be detected by Relic. A number of maphackers were caught using replay analysis tools developed by Relic in CoH1, and a few months after CoH2's battle servers went online Relic announced they had banned a number of accounts for maphacking, likely thanks to the detection methods mentioned above.

In summary, it's possible, but you're likely overreacting.

A funny aside from the past, Snej was one of the CoH1 players who was banned when Relic's replay analysis found evidence of hacking in this replay he posted himself vs. DrHorse: http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=details&id=72933
28 Feb 2015, 01:38 AM

To drive an SU85 into your Base for a panther he could use armoured vehicle detection.

All the above stuff sounds fishy, but yeah replay to be sure.
28 Feb 2015, 01:50 AM
Patrion 14

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight