Login

russian armor

Soviet WW2 movies

15 Apr 2015, 18:51 PM

KLUGE YOU DICTATOR!!!!! BTW everyone knows Soviet WW2 movies are very much full of unrealistic tendencies given their overwhelming sense of national pride....oh wait thats every countries movies :p
22 May 2015, 13:11 PM

I don't know, I thought that sort of thing was fairly thin on the ground, to my eye. At least, I was expecting more of it. That's part of why I listed Western movies which I thought were similar in tone; I don't think they were any more triumphalist than something like A Bridge Too Far; they simply dealt with the situation for the most part.

At the very least, our western perception of the USSR is in large part a propaganda stereotype of a massively centrally directed society. But the movies, made in this period by people still who still were formally trained as Communists, doesn't present that sort of image at all. Quite frankly, the degree of direct "insubordination" displayed in several cases would never have been tolerated in a Western army at all.

This was essentially what I found intriguing about them, and why I didn't include later movies like the 2013 Stalingrad, which, while good in terms of imagery, I saw with a translation that was virtually useless, and which had little or nothing to do say about the social relations among soldiers and officers and civilians. The fact that these movies were made under the auspices of the USSR, rather than under the influence of a modern Hollywood style, is what makes them interesting as historical documents.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 33
unknown 20
Mexico 18
Germany 819
New Zealand 10

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L