Login

russian armor

Advice on 50 cal and 240 mm?

23 Feb 2015, 15:38 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

a fighting position is a static position, and youre not always gonna manage to put one up to cover a flank while youre advancing. thats the benefit of the 50cal team, you can constantly reposition and help cover new approaches where as the fighting position cant. also i trust MG teams in green cover since its pracically impossible to wipe a full health squad in green cover with one mortar or grenade.

Just to be clear I never said 50 wasnt better as an aggressive MG. Im agreeing with you in that sense.

But im saying would you want a .50 cal defending your cutoff/flank (Like kharkov cutoffs,Kholodny ferma cutoffs) or a fighting position. Thats the "Flank" im talking about.

Id hope you'd pick spending a little bit of manpower and munitions over wasting double the manpower and ~7 pop cap,in a faction thats starved for manpower and popcap.

And regarding the nades...maybe your lucky and havent lost a game due to a .50 getting blasted by RNade or GrW 34 and then finished in one burst of gren LMG, and it then being turned and used on you.
23 Feb 2015, 15:54 PM

Just to be clear I never said 50 wasnt better as an aggressive MG. Im agreeing with you in that sense.

But im saying would you want a .50 cal defending your cutoff/flank (Like kharkov cutoffs,Kholodny ferma cutoffs) or a fighting position. Thats the "Flank" im talking about.

Id hope you'd pick spending a little bit of manpower and munitions over wasting double the manpower and ~7 pop cap,in a faction thats starved for manpower and popcap.

And regarding the nades...maybe your lucky and havent lost a game due to a .50 getting blasted by RNade or GrW 34 and then finished in one burst of gren LMG, and it then being turned and used on you.

id prefer the mobile option any day. also i try not to leave support weapons by themselves so if they do get decrewed i can instantly recrew it.
23 Feb 2015, 19:05 PM

make sure youre looking at the correct weapon. http://www.coh2-stats.com/small_arms/m2hb_50cal_mp
http://www.coh2-stats.com/small_arms/hmg_team_mg42_mp as you can see the suppression per burst is very similar to each other.

a few edits after looking at the numbers again:
fighting position does have higher suppression but still significantly less dps at long range

But I am. The supression of the 50 cal falls of much more with range than for the MG42. That seems to be the problem.

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Feb 2015, 08:29 AMEsxile

If the player knows what he does, neither one or the other will stop him.

Personally I would use a rifle squad as bait & scout and reposition the MG to catch the mob out of cover.

Believing a single MG/bunker can stop a mob is purely 100% an Axis fanboi idea :foreveralone:

Yes, that's folly. Exactly the baiting is my favorite way of using an MG. And that's why it really gets to me when the MG I bait the enemy into gets gibbed itself. This is very rare for the MG42 and te Maxim.

If you choose the airborne commander you can always drop it to the soviets on maps with a lot of fences...

The russians already have a lend-lease doctrine, lol.
You weren't serious, I gather?

23 Feb 2015, 19:09 PM

50cal suppression per burst:
close: .4950
medium: .3375
far: .2400

mg42 suppression per burst
close: .4990
medium: .3944
far: .2722

pretty similar
24 Feb 2015, 01:18 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

id prefer the mobile option any day. also i try not to leave support weapons by themselves so if they do get decrewed i can instantly recrew it.

Guess ill give Ma deuce another chance. Its failed me so many times that its hard to click the build button knowing itll cause me more trouble than good.
24 Feb 2015, 05:17 AM

Guess ill give Ma deuce another chance. Its failed me so many times that its hard to click the build button knowing itll cause me more trouble than good.

as with all things, at what stage of the game the hmg comes into play matters, as well as insuring your support weapons are actually supporting and not doing things on their own.
24 Feb 2015, 05:45 AM
Donator 11

Its the best building MG in the game.

Actually it's not. The best, yet least used building mg in game is DShK, there is no major difference in reload (which is also the time of changing windows from what i know) and DShK deals more damage, has AT rounds, 6 men crew and last but not the least it's arc of fire is as big as the one of mg-42 while shooting from the window.
24 Feb 2015, 15:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Actually it's not. The best, yet least used building mg in game is DShK, there is no major difference in reload (which is also the time of changing windows from what i know) and DShK deals more damage, has AT rounds, 6 men crew and last but not the least it's arc of fire is as big as the one of mg-42 while shooting from the window.

DSHK is doctrinal which is probably why its relatively uncommon,CP restricted,its more expensive and the AP rounds are....not very good in my experiences. All MGs have bigger arcs in buildings besides Mg42/34

Also maxim and 50 do the same thing but cheaper and no restriction of doc

24 Feb 2015, 20:26 PM

Another tip for .50 Cal, I would keep it in a building or green cover at all times. The MG is TERRIBLE in open areas due to easy 1 shot rifle grenades since its a 4 man squad. In buildings, I got my man power worth due to its fast suppression and damage.
22 Mar 2015, 04:12 AM

Bring it with your rifle-blob and it will shine.

Other than that, a building.
22 Mar 2015, 06:54 AM
Patrion 27

The .50 gets -40% reload speed at vet 3. It's the only HMG in the game that gets a reload bonus upon veterancy.

DsHK only comes in crap commanders.
27 Mar 2015, 05:20 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear the 240mm arty is target seeking. If there is something in the AOE, it WILL get hit. (If there is more than one unit in the AOE, then obviously only one unit can be hit at a time.) Problem is that the ability does not distinguish between friend and foe. So you effectively deny the area to both the enemy and yourself.

28 Mar 2015, 13:41 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear the 240mm arty is target seeking. If there is something in the AOE, it WILL get hit. (If there is more than one unit in the AOE, then obviously only one unit can be hit at a time.) Problem is that the ability does not distinguish between friend and foe. So you effectively deny the area to both the enemy and yourself.

it does indeed track targets...seemingly.....but it still sucks.

Before

Multiple units of all allegiances. (M10s were still arriving to the test scene)

After. The Arty seemed to target the Medical HQ,as two shells landed directly on it(Doing pitiful damage... they were direct hits..the m10's did not shoot the HQ at all upon arrival, that was 240 muni worth of damage. awful..it killed some volks that were nearby..thats it.)

Other shells seemed to aim for Allied M10s,but missed due to scatter,it seemed.

one missed,the other nearly nailed one of the M10s and took away a bit of health.

And obviously it didnt even bother to hit the volks on the bottom. Other shells just went wayy off target.

28 Mar 2015, 16:56 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

The 240mm does not track targets, it fires 5 shells in a radius of 30 for 1 minute
28 Mar 2015, 17:40 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The 240mm does not track targets, it fires 5 shells in a radius of 30 for 1 minute

then why did it seem like it was trying to hit anything(allied,friendly,or neutral) in the radius? Thats too coincidental for me :snfCHVGame::snfCHVGame:

Shell 1 BG HQ
Shell 2 Same spot as shell 1
Shell 3: friendly M10
Shell 4: Other Friendly M10(Miss)
Shell 5: Nearby neutral building(miss)

:snfCHVGame:
28 Mar 2015, 18:03 PM

It seems I'm just extremely unlucky then, but it has happened several times that if I move a squad through the AOE (even just the edge of it), sure as hell the next shell goes BAM! and my squad is gone... It happened to me when playing Axis as well as Allies. I concluded that the pricyness for those 5 shells is justified by the fact that they must be target seeking...

11 Apr 2015, 01:56 AM

My problem with the 50 is the aim time. It's the worst MG for acquiring targets, changing targets and reacquaint after reload. You can circle strafe any building that it's in being half awake and clear it out. Often times I have set it up in a building following my rifles to just se it stuck aiming at infantry until it dies. It also has the same aoe suppression of the maxim. It's a gimped DSHK basically. Very similar just less damage to vehicles and less health.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS