Login

russian armor

M8 Greyhound Canister shot is extremely OP

29 Jan 2015, 19:10 PM

Greyhound is fine, you need to flank it.

"But Axis don't need to flank! Because OKW they somehow get less resources and its not built in the factions playstyle to flank!"
29 Jan 2015, 19:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2015, 18:46 PMDucati

The only factor in balance is blob discouragement? OK, lets give the kubelwagen a 5 munitions Sturmtiger shot, 60 range, no cool down. That's fair, right? Because blob discouragement is all that matters.

When you can't think of an argument, there he comes to the rescue!
29 Jan 2015, 22:40 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2015, 19:11 PMKatitof

When you can't think of an argument, there he comes to the rescue!

I'm not sure how to reply to your post Katitof.

ActActer suggested that this ability is balanced, reasoning that the ability to controls blobs was king (over cost, the enemy's ability to counter, user experience). I disagree with that idea and used Hyperbole to illustrate the faults in that theory.

What am I missing in your post? What are you trying to communicate?
29 Jan 2015, 23:08 PM

That knee jerk reactions are bad for balance discussions, because they make you look like a rabid monkey instantly.
29 Jan 2015, 23:43 PM
Benefactor 115

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2015, 23:08 PMKatitof
That knee jerk reactions are bad for balance discussions, because they make you look like a rabid monkey instantly.

OK...ummm.... are you saying your post was a knee jerk? Did you take my post out of context? My posts are certainly not emotional outbursts; my words are chosen carefully.
30 Jan 2015, 00:03 AM

This unit is useful as many other call in from other generals.
I think there is many more important balancing issues that should be discussed before this one should ever be.

The new cover system is what made this unit more deadly, as now are grenades or the main gun of many tanks.

This unit is particularly vulnerable to mines, to shrecks and pumas, so the best way to fight it is to be prepare. The moment you know that this commander is chosen, you know what you have to do, just do it.
30 Jan 2015, 01:44 AM

This unit is useful as many other call in from other generals.
I think there is many more important balancing issues that should be discussed before this one should ever be.

The new cover system is what made this unit more deadly, as now are grenades or the main gun of many tanks.

This unit is particularly vulnerable to mines, to shrecks and pumas, so the best way to fight it is to be prepare. The moment you know that this commander is chosen, you know what you have to do, just do it.

the usual timing of the thing, hits around when there is little AT and definitely not a puma. Mines are a good bet since it has to drive up to you to do the wipes anyhow.
30 Jan 2015, 09:06 AM

Timing is around 1-2 minutes before Puma hits the field in a 50/50 map control.

I don't understand why people just not insta-retreat when they see the greyhound coming. It is not like it had a huge range to use its ability...
30 Jan 2015, 15:13 PM
Patrion 28

because if you're always retreating you have no map control and nothing prevents it from driving into your base.
30 Jan 2015, 16:55 PM

because if you're always retreating you have no map control and nothing prevents it from driving into your base.

Except OKW Flak Guns.

Ost this may be true it still takes a beating passing the MGs leaving it ripe for a Faust.
30 Jan 2015, 23:34 PM
Donator 11

Greyhound is a doctrinal unit and comes into game at a point when volks have shreks, sho mines are planted and raketenwerfer waiting in the bushes
31 Jan 2015, 00:08 AM

Greyhound is a doctrinal unit and comes into game at a point when volks have shreks, sho mines are planted and raketenwerfer waiting in the bushes

so what does OST do? The trend atm is if something allied is up the counter via OKW is the answer. Though in this case the okw dont have a insta solution other than mines prepared ahead of time. Personally i always have a rakten out in case of clown cars and fast aa ht. As ost, I have seen the thing come before a pak is out.
31 Jan 2015, 10:48 AM

If you think M8 insta wipe ability in early game is fine, than according to your logic Schreck blobs and KT squad wipe is perfectly balanced too....
31 Jan 2015, 10:53 AM

so what does OST do?

a-moves it with with 222, which cost half the resources and obliterates M8?
31 Jan 2015, 11:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2015, 10:48 AMRiCE
If you think M8 insta wipe ability in early game is fine, than according to your logic Schreck blobs and KT squad wipe is perfectly balanced too....

It's not insta wipe.

Insta wipe are B4, Stuka, Sturmtiger.

Units that are wiping all the time are KT, TA, ISU, KV2, Bulldozer.

But those units can wipe with every shot.
M8 need to pay 50ammo and still you don't have 100% chance to wipe (you are acting like every shot = wipe).

What's more, did you hear about Puma? Becasue Puma can counter M8.
Oh.. but I forget... Calling Puma will ruin OKW meta Volks->Obers->Panther :lol: :lol:
Or even raketen... 2 raketens in building can do the job really well.

And Ost should get 222 to counter it (with upgrade) but first Relic must rework this unit because it's useless.
31 Jan 2015, 11:32 AM

It's not insta wipe.

M8 need to pay 50ammo and still you don't have 100% chance to wipe (you are acting like every shot = wipe).

Oh.. but I forget... Calling Puma will ruin OKW meta Volks->Obers->Panther :lol: :lol:

And Ost should get 222 to counter it (with upgrade) but first Relic must rework this unit because it's useless.

Its not about the counters. Everyone knows how to counter an M8.

Its about the ability is too much in early game. 50 ammo ability and 100% chance to wipe out any soldier in its target area.

I dont care if Puma counters it or not. My problem is this racing car randomly drives in the field and bites out full sized squads from my infantry. Its like you pay 50 ammo and just erase an infantry squad whenever you want. Garanteed.
31 Jan 2015, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Jan 2015, 11:32 AMRiCE

Its not about the counters. Everyone knows how to counter an M8.

Its about the ability is too much in early game. 50 ammo ability and 100% chance to wipe out any soldier in its target area.

I dont care if Puma counters it or not. My problem is this racing car randomly drives in the field and bites out full sized squads from my infantry. Its like you pay 50 ammo and just erase an infantry squad whenever you want. Garanteed.

Nothing is guaranteed. I had games where M8 wiped full squad 7/10 times but I also had games where it wiped only 1 squad per 8 shots.

But you still have to pay ammo, while Luchs does not need to pay anything and it's a way more deadly.

Hide inside building, make 2 raketens, keep your squad in reasonable distance.

When I'm playing as OKW, this unit is little pain in the ass but I'm OK with that.
Same thing for USF and Luchs. It's huge pain to deal with quick Luchs but it's manageable.
Just need to find something to counter it or keep it at distance.

Lure it with Obers squad and then step out around the corner with 3 volks or something like that.

It's not I-win-button.
2 Mar 2015, 04:40 AM

All it has to do is deal less damage to units in cover.

Units out of cover don't bunch up nearly as much to get wiped as easily, and units on the move are much harder to hit with the canister shot.

Units and blobs all mashing up on each other as they path around corners has nothing to do with Canister shot.
2 Mar 2015, 04:42 AM

This unit needs a buff.
2 Mar 2015, 05:30 AM

It's not insta wipe.

The point is that it's a really stupid RNG unit that either does nothing or sends 3 squads into low orbit despite being a relatively early game unit. And nobody gets Puma's because it's a 70 fuel unit that delays your Schwer (and thus all your best units) that becomes basically useless the minute the first enemy AT gun hits the field.

It's a broken RNG unit that should preform more consistently, as said before just make it's gun better and give it a new ability. It's armor and speed are both fine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★