russian armor

Tips & Tricks for Newbies

30 Jan 2015, 23:15 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

sandbag ghosting is frowned upon by the majority of players though
31 Jan 2015, 07:25 AM

One more:
-You can put tank traps behind enemy vehicles to stop them from using reverse gear.
31 Jan 2015, 14:32 PM

Hmm, perhaps i shouldn't include these "gray areas".
3 Feb 2015, 09:26 AM

Edited the OP to make it easier to read. Would be great to have some more faction-specific tips for factions besides OKW, if anyone has any good ones.
3 Feb 2015, 10:16 AM

- Stand still to fight. Precious dps is lost by moving. Take cover instant and dont move.

Maybe we could add a listing of the units and their chances in different matchups? I think thats one of the hardest to realize for a lot of people. Its just dudes with stuff shooting dudes with stuff. I'm a bit in a hurry so my example is not complete, but i hope you get what i mean!

Conscripts:

Close range (+): Volks, Grens, Fussiliere and Ostruppen.
Close range (=): -
Close range (-): Every other unit.

Medium range (+): AssGrens, Ostruppen
Medium range (=): Volks, Grens, Fussiliere
Medium range (-): PGrens, Stormtroopers(AG44), Grens(Lmg42)

Long Range (+): AssGrens, Sturmpioniere
Long Range (=): PGrens, Stormtroopers(AG44)
Long Range (-): Grens, Volks, Fussiliere

3 Feb 2015, 10:28 AM

- Stand still to fight. Precious dps is lost by moving. Take cover instant and dont move.

Maybe we could add a listing of the units and their chances in different matchups? I think thats one of the hardest to realize for a lot of people. Its just dudes with stuff shooting dudes with stuff. I'm a bit in a hurry so my example is not complete, but i hope you get what i mean!

Conscripts:

Close range (+): Volks, Grens, Fussiliere and Ostruppen.
Close range (=): -
Close range (-): Every other unit.

Medium range (+): AssGrens, Ostruppen
Medium range (=): Volks, Grens, Fussiliere
Medium range (-): PGrens, Stormtroopers(AG44), Grens(Lmg42)

Long Range (+): AssGrens, Sturmpioniere
Long Range (=): PGrens, Stormtroopers(AG44)
Long Range (-): Grens, Volks, Fussiliere

This is an excellent idea but i'm not sure i have the in depth knowledge about every unit to do this. If some one has time and knowledge to do this, ill gladly add it in.
3 Feb 2015, 10:37 AM

This is an excellent idea but i'm not sure i have the in depth knowledge about every unit to do this. If some one has time and knowledge to do this, ill gladly add it in.

This is RNG based. Grens lose to Cons even at long range sometimes, if they lose a model faster than Cons do. It has been discussed, you can't say "Grens are always better at long range".
3 Feb 2015, 11:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Feb 2015, 10:37 AMRMMLz

This is RNG based. Grens lose to Cons even at long range sometimes, if they lose a model faster than Cons do. It has been discussed, you can't say "Grens are always better at long range".

It's all about probabilities man. I look at this game like texas hold 'em. Pocket aces will in most games win against a 10-9 for example, but in some cases the 10-9 pull ahead. Does this mean you cannot suggest to a new player that pocket aces could be more relied on than a 10-9?

You see my point? Everything in this game is RNG based but there usually is a probable outcome. Just because random numbers are involved doesn't mean you can't give advice on unit match ups… If grens are more likely to win at long range then cons are, i think you should advice a newbie to engage at long range with grens, rather than to say "it's all about luck anyway so engage at any range".
3 Feb 2015, 11:39 AM

It's all about probabilities man. I look at this game like texas hold 'em. Pocket aces will in most games win against a 10-9 for example, but in some cases the 10-9 pull ahead. Does this mean you cannot suggest to a new player that pocket aces could be more relied on than a 10-9?

You see my point? Everything in this game is RNG based but there usually is a probable outcome. Just because random numbers are involved doesn't mean you can't give advice on unit match ups… If grens are more likely to win at long range then cons are, i think you should advice a newbie to engage at long range with grens, rather than to say "it's all about luck anyway so engage at any range".

I guess I'm a little bit frustrated of Cons rushing my Grens... I see your point.
3 Feb 2015, 17:14 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Edited the OP to make it easier to read. Would be great to have some more faction-specific tips for factions besides OKW, if anyone has any good ones.

USF:
-You don't need to have your priest crewed, while on cooldown. You save up mp and popcap by just crewing when you need to barrage.
-If you are using AT mines from Infantry/AssEng put them on groups of 3/4. Debuffs don't apply with 5+ mines.
-Airborne MG and AT gun breifly gives vision. I'm would love seeing someone make use of it someday.

OH:
-You can deploy smaller patches of minefields by simple moving away after each batch of mines is built. This let's you customize how big you want it to be.
-On the same way, minefields are cheap and awesome for sinking tanks on ice.
-Target weakpoint for Stugs/Tiger Ace actually target tanks in comparison to paks.
-Vet3 + Spotting scopes 222 is a constant maphack.

SU:
-You can cancel your initial building to fake your tech early on. This can also be done midgame for T3/T4.
-Good idea on putting demos behind LOS, specially on buildings. People "never" turn the camera.
-Vet3 T70 using the scout ability is on the same level of vetted 222 + spotting scopes.
3 Feb 2015, 20:14 PM

-Airborne MG and AT gun breifly gives vision. I'm would love seeing someone make use of it someday.

You mean the planes that deliver them?
4 Feb 2015, 01:28 AM

Kv8's gun can be switched from flame thrower to a small canon.
4 Feb 2015, 01:33 AM

Great thread.

The -nomovies command for the launch properties is awesome! Does this work for all games on steam…? Is there a database/list of commands for that section…? Just interested to know more about its capabilities…

4 Feb 2015, 02:25 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

You mean the planes that deliver them?

The actual gun when it falls :P
4 Feb 2015, 07:38 AM

Here's some easy tricks that come time mind:

Wehrmacht:
-You can sink enemy tanks with rifle grenade (yes even ISU)

-Elite troops Mod.24 Stun is one of the best anti garrison weapons in the game.

-Close air support's Stuka AT strafe will 1 shot a B4 and most allied tanks. (If it connects)

-Festung armor doctrine is one of the best defensive doctrines in the game, Hull down'd ostwinds and P4 command makes it near impossible to approach your pak 43's without indirect fire. (Ost's shoot down planes stupid fast like this as well as it up's there range and firerates)

-If you place a Teller and don't complete it, You can then place a Riegel on top you create a mine that can almost 1 shot tanks.

-222 AC With spotting scope upgrade has insane vision range.

-Sniper's Incend round is off the attack timer, So you can fire and then instantly stun shot.

-When using elite troops take a Panzer IV 10% exp bulletin to instantly vet 1 it as it hits the field.

-When using the artillery officer you can fire Panzerwerfer's normally and then use his barrage ability to get 2 sets of barrage's instantly

-When using the artillery officer His barrage double's the range of the gr.38 mortars.

-Katyusha's giving you problems and you need a unit that you can throw away? up gunned 222 fit's the build perfectly. (a lot of people forget about 222 in this situation)

-Burning down buildings with a Flame HT can help you a lot if you are being harassed by partisans.

Soviet Union:

-Don't underestimate the power of Demo's, getting muti wipes ends games.

-TM35's Everywhere, A good mine can end the game. While on the subject of mines TM35's Have a increased chance of heavy engine damage while placed on negative cover.

-Vet 3 B4 with For mother Russia active will 1 shot a JT/KT/Ele/TA

-Demo's can be placed on top of mines.

-Partisan's Spy net works on your entire team.

-Partisans can lay TM35's It is easy to litter a map with them using parts.

-For mother Russia while near a forward HQ's bonus is insanely strong.

-This is highly variable depending on the skill of the player;
When con spamming and get into a large army on army engagement,
Have each con throw a Moly, More likely then not he will not dodge them all in time.

-Picked up Panzerschrecks with for mother Russia active do more damage.

-Strafbat's Flamethrowers cannot be blown up from a crit.

United States:

-Assault engi's can lay demo's

-M20 mine's immobilize tanks.

-Screening your Jacksons with a Sherman or Bulldozer is very advantageous

-BAR's on Pathfinders is very strong.

-USF gets wire and TT's This can cut off big areas of the map.

-Switching out a vet 3 crew into a bigger tank gives it a lead on experience.

-Jumping out of your tanks lowers your pop cap and can go past 100

-A fun cheese strat is 3+ USF doing airborne and muni spamming.
Up to 6 P47's on the map at once! and will melt axis armor stupid fast.

Oberkommando West:

-Assault artillery can take out a B4 if he is dumb enough to place it close to a strat point.

-2X stuka's will 1 shot a B4.

-Artillery Flares are sometimes hard to spot and don't show up on the minimap allowing other offmaps to go on unnoticed.

-Popping a Fallshrim out of a building can deal with Kat trucks on urban maps with ease.

-Assault grenades can deal heavy damage to buildings when facing a forward HQ user

-Stuka 1 shots most forward HQ's

-Panzer II can stealth behind enemy lines to kill Kat's

-Sturmtiger is a great Ice denial weapon like on Faceoff at rostov.
(Destroys a huge amount of ice)

-IR StG44 is effective vs units in buildings.

-Ober's boobytrap ability is the same as the Russian one from FHQ doctrine but cheaper.

-If one of your obers drops a LMG34 pick it up, Any unit wielding this thing is like Rambo. It is especially funny on Ostruppen or Volksgrens.

-If i think of more later i will add.

4 Feb 2015, 09:42 AM

Here's some easy tricks that come time mind

Thanks a lot, lots of good ones here. Will add in later.
4 Feb 2015, 10:03 AM

Man this thread is evolving...
4 Feb 2015, 11:58 AM

- sandbags or any heavy cover (stonewalls) does provide directional cover vs direct tank cannon fire. It does provide some protection against most medium armor with moderate splash (panzerIV, stugG, T34/76,T34/85, T70, Sherman HE)

- its always better for riflegrenades or any other grenades thrown directly (2 models) behind the enemy units in heavy cover (no accuracy modifiers on light cover)to have maximum damage potential. Wrong placement of grenade thrown will usually yield no-light damage.

- grenades AOE does have effect on garrison units. Unit models in the garrison that are not within the grenades AOE will not take any damage. If you suspect that the enemy might react to the grenade toss, toss the grenade at the door entrance for a possible squadwipe. Note that molotov is exception and assault grenades/infiltration grenades dont give a fuk after the building nerf :(

- Also infantry behind heavy cover when flank by a tank with HE is usually devastating as the shell is very likely to hit the cover and killing most of the units clump up nearby.

- incomplete sandbags can also used to block direct cannon shots and infantry & light vehicles movement. note that, AT guns will likely destroy the sandbags if the target is nearby to it.

- Terrain will influence alot in accuracy of tank vs infantry and support weapons. It is always best to have tanks on the hill shooting down. Maps like Langreskaya are particularly finicky for assault guns.

- tank shells rendered in game actually do have trajectory. So its always a good idea to issue your tanks/AT guns to overshoot in Fog of war when catching a fleeing tank. Its possible for tanks with shells that have high scatter to travel further and possibly knocking off something that its not intended.
4 Feb 2015, 12:07 PM

When microing tanks facing uphill at infantry they will often miss, as they will hit the hill's geometry. Being on level ground or on high ground shooting down is essential to tank vs infantry combat.
4 Feb 2015, 13:36 PM

Updated list, thanks for everyone that contributed. The list has become much better than i thought it would when i started the thread and i learned a lot while compiling it. Great stuff!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★