Login

russian armor

Tips & Tricks for Newbies

28 Jan 2015, 08:09 AM
Patrion 15

This is a great list, thanks for putting it together!
28 Jan 2015, 08:21 AM

Pros dont share their secrets

idk there arent that many 'secrets' in this game. theres a few sleeper OP things that most of the players dont use or think they suck, but for the most part this game is just about learning unit matchups and maps.
28 Jan 2015, 08:28 AM

It's great. Although most of them are pretty obvious after a couple hundred hours of playing, I still learned a few tricks so thanks.

I DEMAND RELIC TO IMPLEMENT THIS LIST IN LOADING SCREEN. Much more useful than their original tips and tricks.

PS: A total "Introduction to CoH2" guide would be great. New players can't learn anything from campaign and when they try MP they get CRUSHED in provisional matches. Creating such a guide would help the community to grow. It's a lot of work though.
28 Jan 2015, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 08:28 AMRMMLz
It's great. Although most of them are pretty obvious after a couple hundred hours of playing, I still learned a few tricks so thanks.

I DEMAND RELIC TO IMPLEMENT THIS LIST IN LOADING SCREEN. Much more useful than their original tips and tricks.

PS: A total "Introduction to CoH2" guide would be great. New players can't learn anything from campaign and when they try MP they get CRUSHED in provisional matches. Creating such a guide would help the community to grow. It's a lot of work though.

I might be able to write such a guide since i'm unemployed and the course I'm taking is ending this week. Will not have much to do anyway, but sit around with my cats and wait for the lady to get home. I will probably need a "pro" to take a look at it before publishing though since there are quite a few things in this game i'm not 100% sure of.
28 Jan 2015, 09:45 AM

you can know the retreat path of a unit by clincking right click on the enemy base.....you´ll see a white line in the minimap showing the path the unit will follow when retreating...

sorry for my bad english.
28 Jan 2015, 10:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 09:45 AMFul4n0
you can know the retreat path of a unit by clincking right click on the enemy base.....you´ll see a white line in the minimap showing the path the unit will follow when retreating...

sorry for my bad english.

Do you mean issuing a move command to one of your units will show the path they will take on the minimap and this path is the same as the enemies retreat path?
28 Jan 2015, 10:22 AM

Do you mean issuing a move command to one of your units will show the path they will take on the minimap and this path is the same as the enemies retreat path?

sorry my english is so bad (studying to improve....)

What I mean is that if you want to know wich retreat path a enemy unit is going to follow from that muni or fuel point in that map you´re playing, you only have to put a unit of your own in that sector, and while the unit is selected if you click in the enemy base, you´ll see in the minimap a white line showing the path your unit will follow.

It is the same path that a enemy unit will follow when retreating from that sector...So you can prepare ambushes or put units in that path to try to wipe and finish retreating enemy units....this kind of things....in coh1 I used this trick all the time to lay mines in the more frequently used enemy retreating paths....

Or you can use this just to predict wich path your units will follow to reach that point you just asked them to cap....so you will know if your unit will travel through a safe path or if it will pass through enemy forces or part of the map that you want to avoid for any reason.....sorry, I can´t explain better with my english skills.

I hope you get the point now...it was the same in COH1 btw.

Regards,
28 Jan 2015, 10:34 AM

another old trick from COH1 was related to throwing grenades....

if you are closing the gap with a enemy squad in order to throw a grenade, and you just issued a command to get your squad in green cover... if you issue your command to throw the grenade before your squad reach that green cover where your squad will stop and stay, the squad will throw the grenade without stoping all the members of the squad, so your enemy will have more problems to see the animation, and you will have more chances to kill the enemy....

Not sure if this is the same in COH2, though.

If IRC, there was a weekly tip in gamereplays about this grenade trick for COH1, and other for the "retreating path white line" too.
28 Jan 2015, 10:49 AM

Excellent, thanks for clarifying. If some one can confirm that grenade trick works in CoH2 ill add that as well.
28 Jan 2015, 11:17 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jan 2015, 10:22 AMFul4n0

sorry my english is so bad (studying to improve....)

What I mean is that if you want to know wich retreat path a enemy unit is going to follow from that muni or fuel point in that map you´re playing, you only have to put a unit of your own in that sector, and while the unit is selected if you click in the enemy base, you´ll see in the minimap a white line showing the path your unit will follow.

It is the same path that a enemy unit will follow when retreating from that sector...So you can prepare ambushes or put units in that path to try to wipe and finish retreating enemy units....this kind of things....in coh1 I used this trick all the time to lay mines in the more frequently used enemy retreating paths....

Or you can use this just to predict wich path your units will follow to reach that point you just asked them to cap....so you will know if your unit will travel through a safe path or if it will pass through enemy forces or part of the map that you want to avoid for any reason.....sorry, I can´t explain better with my english skills.

I hope you get the point now...it was the same in COH1 btw.

Regards,

It's an old trick worthwhile bearing in mind......hence the cursing about "f***ing parthin'" (sic) in CoH2, which does not just play tricks with tank manoeuvres...
28 Jan 2015, 11:25 AM

Excellent, thanks for clarifying. If some one can confirm that grenade trick works in CoH2 ill add that as well.

I think that doesn't work in CoH2, they squad will stop no matter what. This happened after a patch, like one year ago IIRC.

And about the guide if you are considering, I think a lot of strategists here are willing to help. It doesn't have to be in details though, just simple mechanics of the game like meta, basic build for different factions, when to tech up, soft and hard counters and things like that. We have great guide on this site for people to learns different tactics, just something to help new players to move from campaign to compstomp and then to MP. Most people get crushed in provisional matches because they have no idea what to do.
29 Jan 2015, 05:48 AM

im pretty sure merging conscripts into shock troops doesnt give them them more armor, they just get ppshs (and they adopt all accuracy/etc stat of the shock troopers)
29 Jan 2015, 06:49 AM

There was actually two new things for me in that list. After 500+ hours of COH2. Oh well...

Perhaps add this one: You can deny the enemy the use of green cover by putting wire next to his side of for example sandbags.

29 Jan 2015, 10:35 AM

im pretty sure merging conscripts into shock troops doesnt give them them more armor, they just get ppshs (and they adopt all accuracy/etc stat of the shock troopers)

That's what i wrote...
29 Jan 2015, 11:49 AM

There was actually two new things for me in that list. After 500+ hours of COH2. Oh well...

Perhaps add this one: You can deny the enemy the use of green cover by putting wire next to his side of for example sandbags.

sure I´m wrong or I didn´t get your point but the only purpose of sandbags is to provide green cover. Isn´t it?

of course, wire will do the trick as you said.
29 Jan 2015, 13:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jan 2015, 11:49 AMFul4n0

sure I´m wrong or I didn´t get your point but the only purpose of sandbags is to provide green cover. Isn´t it?

of course, wire will do the trick as you said.

You did not get the point. When you build sandbags, or when you want to deny cover you simply set up wire on the enemy's side, so only you can you cover. This is very handy in maps like kholodny (car wreck near middle point) or semosiky (the graveyard in the town)
29 Jan 2015, 15:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

-Panthers wrecks can be salvaged (there are 4 on Rails and metal)

-Sandbag helps blocking light vehicles and to change pathfinding on the map. While they can be vault, support weapons are gonna have problems with it.

-Whenever you drop a PTRS with guards don't pick it up :P
It reduces the chance of dropping weapons to 3 models, it increases DPS, you can pick up other weapons, your 4th model dying doesn't mean fighting with 2 PTRS and 1 DP, you you keep your DPS weapon.

-Not all buildings have windows on all sides. You can actually shoot inside and receive no damage at all.

-You can use attack ground with flamers to attack from out of LOS.

-OKW flak bunkers will take popcap if he has to recrew them.

-There are several maps on which base bunkers doesn't cover completely the base or manage to supress fast enough to avoid units getting inside. There are even maps on which you have neutral buildings inside or nearby :/ (Ettelbruck north/Rails n Metal south)

-Crashing firepits gives xp

-Lategame, SwS are good one time minedefusers.
29 Jan 2015, 18:41 PM

-Panthers wrecks can be salvaged (there are 4 on Rails and metal)

-Sandbag helps blocking light vehicles and to change pathfinding on the map. While they can be vault, support weapons are gonna have problems with it.

-Whenever you drop a PTRS with guards don't pick it up :P
It reduces the chance of dropping weapons to 3 models, it increases DPS, you can pick up other weapons, your 4th model dying doesn't mean fighting with 2 PTRS and 1 DP, you you keep your DPS weapon.

-Not all buildings have windows on all sides. You can actually shoot inside and receive no damage at all.

-You can use attack ground with flamers to attack from out of LOS.

-OKW flak bunkers will take popcap if he has to recrew them.

-There are several maps on which base bunkers doesn't cover completely the base or manage to supress fast enough to avoid units getting inside. There are even maps on which you have neutral buildings inside or nearby :/ (Ettelbruck north/Rails n Metal south)

-Crashing firepits gives xp

-Lategame, SwS are good one time minedefusers.

Thanks for your contribution man, added these in.
30 Jan 2015, 23:11 PM
Donator 11

That's a weird attitude. Have a look at the Guides section, a lot of the guides were written by "pros". There are also quite a few people who are happy to share their knowledge of the game in casts and streams. I am certain this community (and the game) would benefit from the new players staying around and playing and learning instead of leaving because of the feeling of being in over your head.

I played a lot of EVE-online and the community there is great, there are whole corporations (clans) dedicated to teaching new players the ropes and most people are very helpful because they have all been new once and know what a handful that game can be in the beginning. This game has nowhere near the learning curve of EVE but the principle is the same.

Luckily, i think the people with your elitist view of gaming is a minority in this community.

I am not a pro and I dont know any tips or tricks, if I knew I would share

Maybe I can add an obvious tip: throwing a nade can be cancelled and when throwing a molotov/nade into a building, it can be a good idea to throw it at the exit instead, if you catch a squad on the exit its an alsmot guaranteed squad wipe since inf is clumped up when exiting a building
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★