Login

russian armor

RiP Otto Carius

• This thread is locked
25 Jan 2015, 01:01 AM

Today, one of the greatest German Tank Aces, Otto Carius, credited with 150 kills, died after a short illness.

He was 92.

A sad day for the historical memory. It's never a happy thing when a man of such experience and knowledge dies.

25 Jan 2015, 01:19 AM

RIP.

Bear in mind he did kill several hundred people sacrificing their lives to stop Nazism, though.
25 Jan 2015, 01:28 AM

I'd recommend reading his book: "Tigers in the Mud". Whilst some of the sentiments I can't agree with, it'll give you more of the reasoning behind them...
25 Jan 2015, 05:20 AM

RIP.

Bear in mind he did kill several hundred people sacrificing their lives to stop Nazism, though.

Well, he just did his job :mellow:
25 Jan 2015, 08:32 AM

Well, he just did his job :mellow:

I don't wanna go off-topic and start an irrelevant and pointless argument, but that's not an excuse.
25 Jan 2015, 08:37 AM

With 150+ enemy tanks destroyed he was the 2nd best tank ace from WW2. Only Kurt Knispel got more kills then carius.

Otto Carius was part of the "502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion" commanded a Tiger tank and fought against the soviets. His Service during the Baltics campaign made him Famous. In the village of Dunaburg, Latvia he destroyed 16 IS-2 tanks with his Tiger. Here is a documentary about the "502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion" in the battle around the Baltics in which Otto Carius took part:

Otto Carius later become part of the "Schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 512" commanded one of the rare Jagdtigers and fought against the US Army in the Western front. Here are a few Combat reports from Otto Carius and the "Schwere Heeres-Panzerjäger-Abteilung 512":

During the end of March, 1./s.Pz.Jäg.Abt.512 went into action against US tank during rearguard actions, losing four Jagdtigers, three of them to breakdowns. During the combat around Herborn, the Jagdtigers were able to successfully engage US tanks at ranges exceeding three kilometers, reporting more than 30 destroyed vehicles.

2./s.Pz.Jäg.Abt.512 had been ordered to the city of Unna, where they on 8 April destroyed more than 20 US tanks and armored cars trying to capture the city. Retreating from Unna, one Jagdtiger was lost against US tanks.

On 11 April, ten Jagdtigers, three Pz Kpfw IV's, four Sturmgeschütz IV's, and four anti-aircraft vehicles of Kampfgruppe Ernst set up position on a ridge. As a US armored column approached, the unit opened fire, destroying at least 50 vehicles, including 11 Medium Tank, M4's. The US forces withdrew, and engaged with fighter-bombers, two of which were destroyed, while destroying one Jagdtiger, and damaging another.

In his Book "Tigers in the Mud" Otto Carius also recorded that a 128 mm projectile went through all the walls of a house and destroyed an American tank behind it.[7]

25 Jan 2015, 08:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jan 2015, 08:32 AMRMMLz

I don't wanna go off-topic and start an irrelevant and pointless argument, but that's not an excuse.

Oh, so if there were a total war tomorrow and you were drafted to defend your country, of course you would refuse because killing people is bad ?

I don't care if he was a nazi or not, if he was a bad guy or not. He was a soldier, he did his job just like millions of other soldiers at the time. People die in wars.
25 Jan 2015, 09:06 AM

Oh, so if there were a total war tomorrow and you were drafted to defend your country, of course you would refuse because killing people is bad ?

I don't care if he was a nazi or not, if he was a bad guy or not. He was a soldier, he did his job just like millions of other soldiers at the time. People die in wars.

Unfortunately, I will be drafted in case of war because of the laws of my country and even now I'm technically a soldier. But defending your country is different than following that weird mustache guy who kills his own people, Jewish people, poles etc.

But everyone has the right to think what they want, I do care if he was a Nazi or not, But you have the right to think what ever you want. So cheers, let's not argue mate ;)
25 Jan 2015, 09:41 AM
Patrion 14

More borderline Nazi fanboi-ism and revisionism. Sigh. I don't suppose any of the hagiographers here give a shit that it's Holocaust memorial day.
25 Jan 2015, 09:42 AM

If a russian sniper ace died today and we made a thread about it, someone would surely say that 'He/she killed hundreds of Germans fighting to save the world from Bolshevism'

A brief glance at the number of people who died under stalin shows it is roughly 4x those who perished in the Holocaust.

There is ample material for several students to study PhDs on this subject, and there is little point in debating what can only be superficial, meaningless and most likely misleading or blatantly incorrect information on an internet forum.

Celebrating and respecting the sacrifices of soldiers and what they have had to endure; watching their friends die, always living under artillery fire, no hot showers, warm beds, limited diet availability, etc, should be undertaken separately from a study of the motivations behind their service or the context in which they served.
25 Jan 2015, 09:46 AM
Patrion 14

Celebrating and respecting the sacrifices of soldiers and what they have had to endure; watching their friends die, always living under artillery fire, no hot showers, warm beds, limited diet availability, etc, should be undertaken separately from a study of the motivations behind their service or the context in which they served.

Says who? The Wehrmacht were complicit in the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians in Russia yet we still have to sit through vomit-inducing 'good German' memes on this forum from people who should know better.
25 Jan 2015, 10:03 AM

Speaking, again, admittedly, as the worst moderator in the history of the Internet, I do nonetheless feel that this thread is going off at a tangent. Surely let's not bring Holocaust vs. Stalin-induced deaths into a thread about a German tank ace?
25 Jan 2015, 10:19 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

We now have two threads on the same subject. There was really no need to start this one as well, since the other thread was already in existence in the the Scrap Yard, which is the correct place.

There is no point in running parallel threads,so I am locking this one.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★