Login

russian armor

You know what observer mode is really missing?

22 Jan 2015, 15:21 PM
Donator 11

Now that we have had our first great taste of OBS with all the tournaments and awesome live streams, I think I know a way relic can improve on this awesome tool!

While OBS mode already features a lot of great features such as the HUD re-size and the unit camera, but I think Relic should add Player tracking to replays and Observer mode. This would add a new layer for casters as well as ourselves to see into the mind of the player as well as allow us players, to see what we don't see.

This is tracking would follow the players camera and movements around the map while also showing us his line of sight, and unit build Que, and default HUD. This would be accessed through an extra box added to the middle of the OBS/Replay HUD like the "fog of war" button that could be toggled on or off. Selecting a players box just like in OBS/Replay would switch the games camera to the player selected.

Dota 2 and Starcraft 2 already have this feature and I believe that CoH could really benefit from this feature if it wants to go into E-Sports.
22 Jan 2015, 15:28 PM
Coder Red Badge

I would be really surprised if this is ever added, though it would be amazing if it was. The current observer mode is extremely simple in that all of the information available is information that was always stored in replay files to begin with. Current observing in CoH2 is just glorified replay viewing with a new interface. Adding this sort of functionality would require a major overhaul to the sort of information stored in replays, which would necessitate major rewrites of the replay and observing systems. Currently CoH2 doesn't track mouse or camera movement; that would have to change for a feature like this to be implemented, and that would take a lot of time to implement. It would shock me if Relic was willing to invest that sort of time.

It's a great idea, but unfortunately I just don't see it as something Relic would be willing to invest the money into, since they won't really see much in the way of return.
22 Jan 2015, 15:32 PM

Shortening "observer mode" to "OBS" might lead to confusion with Open Broadcaster Software, which is usually refered to as "OBS" as well. Just as a small hint.

I agree with your feature wish though, but for me personally it would not have a high priority. Fixing the game would be more important to me.
22 Jan 2015, 15:46 PM
Benefactor 115

replays don't store camera or mouse movements but they do store mouse click positions when you give orders, they could show a marker where the click happens and have the camera auto center on that
22 Jan 2015, 15:49 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2015, 15:46 PMtuvok
replays don't store camera or mouse movements but they do store mouse click positions when you give orders, they could show a marker where the click happens and have the camera auto center on that

that would jump the camera around drastically. I don't know oh observer mode was coded as inverse has said but I belive that this feature is really important for pro players
22 Jan 2015, 15:50 PM
Coder Red Badge

Well, they store command X/Y coordinates, but there's no way of knowing if the command was issued on the main screen, the minimap, or the tactical map, so you won't get any info on cursor position. I suppose it would be easy to show the little move graphic you see when you issue a move command though.
22 Jan 2015, 16:17 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2015, 15:50 PMInverse
Well, they store command X/Y coordinates, but there's no way of knowing if the command was issued on the main screen, the minimap, or the tactical map, so you won't get any info on cursor position. I suppose it would be easy to show the little move graphic you see when you issue a move command though.
would you be able to track player camera position? Or would that require the whole code to be rewritten

I don't really care for where the mouse cursor is or what the player is clicking on but rather I want to know his or her focus
22 Jan 2015, 16:34 PM
Coder Red Badge

Camera position would require some major changes to replays most likely, since you'd want parity between replays and observing. Current CoH replays are far too simple to be able to track that sort of information.
29 Jan 2015, 06:02 AM

i just wish theyd implement chatting with other observers
29 Jan 2015, 08:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jan 2015, 16:34 PMInverse
Camera position would require some major changes to replays most likely, since you'd want parity between replays and observing. Current CoH replays are far too simple to be able to track that sort of information.

It seems really simple to implement imo; just add a new "camera/mouse position of player X" "command" on each tick. ;)
29 Jan 2015, 14:16 PM
Coder Red Badge

That would make for very choppy viewing. There are 8 ticks per second, which means player perspective would essentially be running at 8 frames per second.
29 Jan 2015, 17:52 PM

Well since you know where the camera will be in 1/8th second, the position could be interpolated.. Not perfect I know, can't imagine what the experience will be like.
But.. Only 8 ticks per second?! Even Diablo 2 had 25 per second!
29 Jan 2015, 17:55 PM
Donator 11

Does the whole Coh2 server infrastructure run at an 9bit tick rate or is this for Live streams and Replays?
29 Jan 2015, 17:56 PM

I would settle for time scrolling and rewind.

Not that I'm holding my breath.
29 Jan 2015, 18:06 PM
Patrion 14

Time scrolling/rewind would actually be far harder to implement than tracking a player's camera or mouse movements.
29 Jan 2015, 18:09 PM
Coder Red Badge

Yeah, they could add interpolation, but that would be a pretty major undertaking, and it might be tough to do with such a low tickrate. It could in theory be adequate for showing which units/buildings are selected though.

And I have no idea what CoH's gameplay tickrate is, I just know that replays, and by extension observing, use 8 ticks per second. That's actually how the replay system here on COH2.ORG calculates the game length of a replay, it counts the number of ticks and divides by 8.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Peru 18
unknown 15
unknown 8
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %