Login

russian armor

Maps are completely unbalanced

27 Jan 2015, 00:47 AM
Donator 22

Hürtgen forrest is also terrible unbalanced.
27 Jan 2015, 01:01 AM

Although I agree that maps are unbalanced, I think it's not gonna be easy to fully balance them. If you want a 100% balanced map, it needs be symmetrical (Like most C&C maps) and that's not what they want for CoH.

I think we need modders to create balanced versions of maps, maybe start a thread here and talk about them. I don't know if anyone has ever done that.
27 Jan 2015, 08:41 AM

Its not easy to balance them perfectly, but thats ok. But they could at least try...

The problem is, i think, is that certain maps have only one tight spot where u can put your troops. For example, on semoskiy top, u can only put your troops under your cutoff point at the bridge. Its supereasy to barrage/katyusha/napalm/etc your troops, because u have nowhere else to stay. If u consider the bottom side however, there you have a ton of space where you can spread out your forces.

In my opininon, if u make the bridge at the cutoff wider, or if put a bridge to the far right side so u can cross the river there (like in semo winter), and make the lake smaller or remove that house right next to the bridge and give more open space it would be much more balanced.

Same goes for Moscow Outskirts: if u spawn at top-left, where can u put your troops? Only to your cutoff, which is insanely open, and can be easily harassed (and, again, if u are at the bottom, you have a ton of space to spread out, and a lot of green cover to hold).

If they put come green cover in front of the top cutoff, between the ammo and the cutoff point, and some trees/shotblockers, the map would be a lot easier to play from top (and remove the house and walls behind the cutoff, which makes for a very small bottleneck from where u can attack your cutoff if its taken).

27 Jan 2015, 09:50 AM

The vast majority of CoH players do comp stomps and custom games with friends; only a small percentage of people play automatch at all, let alone regular competitive play and tournaments, etc.

With that fact in mind, it's not difficult to see that most CoH (1 and 2) maps are designed from that standpoint, rather than finely-tuned 1v1 or 2v2 PvP matches. Also, as Relic do not have a dedicated map team but simply design maps on an ad-hoc basis and add user-designed content in patches, it can come as no great surprise that map quality is extremely variable.

I've often commented to friends that 'X map is great fun in comp stomps, but I can understand why it would be pretty horrible in automatch.'

Such is life, sadly. I suppose Relic prioritize other things.
27 Jan 2015, 10:00 AM

I've noticed that some 4v4 maps are unbalanced only after they removed fixed faction positions. Especially Rostov and Lienne forest.
27 Jan 2015, 12:16 PM

Unless you put screenshots showing what exactly is wrong on these maps and suggest solution, the "IZ BROKEN, PLIZ FIX" threads don't really provide much feedback or value.
27 Jan 2015, 19:17 PM

Relic needs to stop fucking making bridge/water maps for 2v2/1v1s this was an issue in coh1. The style of gameplay that coh2/coh1 offer is not suited for bridge/water maps.
28 Jan 2015, 08:42 AM

Relic needs to stop fucking making bridge/water maps for 2v2/1v1s this was an issue in coh1. The style of gameplay that coh2/coh1 offer is not suited for bridge/water maps.

So... what about Vire river valley?... What about camping the shit out of my enemy... :snfCHVGame:
29 Jan 2015, 12:33 PM

Moskow Outskirts does not have any bridge/river, and its still terribly unbalanced:)
30 Jan 2015, 15:15 PM
Patrion 28

the issues tend to be with natural barriers, which rivers (and by extension bridges) are but one of.
30 Jan 2015, 16:13 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Stalingrad and ettelbruck are brutal for axis
6 Feb 2015, 20:49 PM

Can we just remove semoksy from 2v2s. Its to small for team games.
18 Feb 2015, 03:37 AM

Hello guys!

For me, it seems like that the game is close to being balanced. There are some issues that still needs to be fixed, but its a decent game atm. But some of the maps are horribly imbalanced.

For example, lets consider two equally skilled players. The winrate should be 50%-50%, but depending on the side of the map, it can be totally different. In my experience, it goes like this:

- Semoskiy Summer: 70-80% for bottom, 20-30% for top.

The reason is the time it takes for the northen player to get to cutoff and opponents fuel.
For eg, pos1 vs pos3.

When starting position 3, it will take you 5 secs longer to get to your cutoff than your opponent and it will take approx a wopping 15 secs to get to your opponents fuel. Which is why it is so easy to decap your opponents fuel from pos1. Position 3 has an advantage over position1 being closer to fuel however that equates to a tiny fuel gain at the start of the game. Once the action moves to the centre the advantage dissipates and swings in favour of position1.

If you get position4 you are at a greater disadvantage that all other positions due to the fact that pos1/pos2 sits between fuel and cutoff, where as pos4 is further away from cutoff and fuel than pos3.

It is also significantly easier to defend from the south given the large amount of open area to the west compared to multiple shot blockers to the east.

If you play vs okw or usf from position 4 and the set up forward retreat point you are basically screwed if you ever retreat.

I don't know if map makers can measure between different points on maps. I have just been running simulations in custom game but that is not as accurate as i would like..

This why Relic struggle to balance the game, because time is another variable being added to the game due to poor map design.

18 Feb 2015, 04:37 AM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Worst map issues can be fixed within a days work, fine tuning would take a little bit longer. I still wait for Relic to take actions since we provided feedback in their official thread here. I just wish they would do more symmetrical maps.
18 Feb 2015, 04:56 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I've noticed that some 4v4 maps are unbalanced only after they removed fixed faction positions. Especially Rostov and Lienne forest.

Um, Rostov has always been unbalanced

It was unfair when Axis always started at the bottom.

At least now it's random it's at least fair between factions
18 Feb 2015, 04:59 AM
Honorary Member Badge

With that fact in mind, it's not difficult to see that most CoH (1 and 2) maps are designed from that standpoint, rather than finely-tuned 1v1 or 2v2 PvP matches. Also, as Relic do not have a dedicated map team but simply design maps on an ad-hoc basis and add user-designed content in patches, it can come as no great surprise that map quality is extremely variable.

Riffing on that, many of the multiplayer maps are ported directly across from TOW, as such it is not surprising that they are not great for single player.

In the same way as many of the Common Commanders for the vanilla factions make more sense as 1941 TOW commanders than they do in multiplayer
18 Feb 2015, 05:07 AM

Um, Rostov has always been unbalanced

It was unfair when Axis always started at the bottom.

At least now it's random it's at least fair between factions

what ever faction gets the bottom wins regardless of player comp. If your allies just demo charge the bridges, if your axis just put MGs/Kubels on them till you can kill them with mortars/tanks.
18 Feb 2015, 05:09 AM
Honorary Member Badge

It's not 50:50 certainly, but it's not 100:0 either

I have won from the top
18 Feb 2015, 05:12 AM

It's not 50:50 certainly, but it's not 100:0 either

I have won from the top

If you can rush the buildings and get some OKW truck FHQ's set up you can win, but if the bottom player is smart he will always garrasion the buildings before you and rob you of your advantage.
18 Feb 2015, 05:40 AM

The biggest hindrance to competitive play is RNG, map imbalance and terrible unit pathing.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★