Login

russian armor

8p Regimental HQ

21 Jan 2015, 00:58 AM

This is my third map and was to cater for a request from another player for a large map with a big US base with an airfield.

I think it is a hard map to play and a lot of fun, a lot of flanking opportunities and multiple paths to victory. If you like big forest maps with choke points and plenty of ambush chances then give it a whirl!

Although the user who requested it claims its the best thing since sliced bread it hasn't really got a lot of downloads on the workshop.

Would love a veteran to go check it out and let me know no holds barred if its any good or perhaps shed some light on the lack of downloads

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=374813281
21 Jan 2015, 08:40 AM

Well I wouldn't consider myself an expert per se. But as a mapmaker myself I'll be happy to take a look at it for you and give you my opinion of it. :D
22 Jan 2015, 09:38 AM
Patrion 14

trying now.
22 Jan 2015, 10:07 AM
Patrion 14

the map looks very raw. many parts of the ground looks bland and one tone. your roads look like a single spline or two. you should look at some of monolithic bacon's maps his steam workshop page (or relic's official maps) and see how his roads, road sides, tiles, cliffs, etc etc differ from your map. preferably in worldbuilder using sga extractor.

and i personally i do not like that sometimes i can have a screen full of just impassable trees or lake. but the map is enormous so... it is just my personal nitpick.

that said, i think this map has unique flavour(haven't seen anything like it thematic wise especially) and that playing on this map would create a very interesting battles.
22 Jan 2015, 11:44 AM

^ Constructive criticism is allways welcomed and positive feedback even much more appreciated but you can not assume that every new mapper will reach the ´Monolithic-standard´ in his/her first, second or third map. Mono is the King of mapping, we all know that, and I am quite sure KaneUK played some good games on Monos maps as well. But we all know that it takes up a lot of time to create a single map, especially if it is a big one for 4vs4, and there is allways something to improve beeing it placing some eye candy or working with the spline tool.

That beeing said I´ll go with this: Thanks for a new map for CoH2 and welcome to mapping KaneUK! Keep up improving and sharpening your skills. We all look forward to your current and next project. :)
28 Jan 2015, 00:48 AM

Hey guys thanks for the feedback much appreciated

I think having had another look at it that it does seem plain in parts and I didn't give as much TLC to this map as much as I did to bridge too fubar.

I think that maybe because I did it as a request that I didn't have as much emotional commitment to perfecting it haha

My new map is going to be up soon, and I've discovered action markers so its looking atmospheric :D So now I feel I've got a wider scope of skills I'm going to go back over my first 3 maps and give them a face lift :)

Update: So I've given this map a face lift

1)Converted to night map to add atmosphere and to take away some of the bland feeling off the huge size.

2)Added rain to further add to the atmosphere

3) Converted the lake to a quarry/building site which is slightly flooded and I have added a fuel point to the location as well as an extra entrance so that there are now 2 ways into the area

4) Edited the roads which were looking a little raw and hopefully they blend better now.

Let me know what you think
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS