snipers and useful mines for every faction

17 Jan 2015, 20:31 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

oh god i'm surrounded by noobs

ya'll need to play some COH1, get yourself educated

-Wehrmacht had a sniper
-US had a sniper
-Campy Britz had a sniper in the recon squad only, where one sniper shot cost muni
-PE had no sniper, though it had anti-sniper devices like the vampire, or kettenkrad (and the vampire was not so much used until the 2.602 patch i.e. the last patch)- and the ATHT could be classed, very loosely, as a sniper, if you forked out for the 'concentrate fire' ability - or whatever it was called.

All units in CoH2 should have a sniper component(IMO) The USF is hampered without one; and if the OKW is nerfed, as it will surely be at some point, so too should this army have one

And BTW, sir muffin, I think sniper play hinders general gameplay, FWIW
17 Jan 2015, 21:09 PM

ya'll say sniper play hinders general gameplay, but you're going to wish you had one when you're playing from behind and your vet-0 infantry cannot stand against a vet 5 PG squad or a vet 3 paratrooper with double LMG's

i don't consider PE and BRITS part of coh1, because they were developed by the same people that brought us this lovely gem, coh2.
17 Jan 2015, 21:31 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

i don't consider PE and BRITS part of coh1, because they were developed by the same people that brought us this lovely gem, coh2.

Don't duck and dive, if you please :)

OF Factions were part of vCoH - they played the same maps and each other. Please try to readdress this point, without wriggling ;)
17 Jan 2015, 22:36 PM
Patrion 28

1, pgrens do not reach beyond vet 3.
2, paras need to be balanced, not another OP unit introduced to counter them.

and seriously, that's kind of like "i wish i had a stuka when OKW shits out volks/ober blobs and OKH throws bunkers all over and MG42s into houses" or "i wish i had a B4 when USF puts a major/ambulance at a strong point on the map"...

also, the next time you're being lighthearted use the [LIGHTSARCASM][/LIGHTSARCASM] VBB tag please.
18 Jan 2015, 04:44 AM

-Wehrmacht had a sniper
-US had a sniper
-Campy Britz had a sniper in the recon squad only, where one sniper shot cost muni
-PE had no sniper, though it had anti-sniper devices like the vampire, or kettenkrad (and the vampire was not so much used until the 2.602 patch i.e. the last patch)- and the ATHT could be classed, very loosely, as a sniper, if you forked out for the 'concentrate fire' ability - or whatever it was called.

All units in CoH2 should have a sniper component(IMO) The USF is hampered without one; and if the OKW is nerfed, as it will surely be at some point, so too should this army have one

And BTW, sir muffin, I think sniper play hinders general gameplay, FWIW

The number of problems in the game is too big to be worrying about snipers and a lack there of.

We have entire tech trees that are largely useless with what they do have because most strategies come back to using 2 or 3 units as a crutch.
18 Jan 2015, 06:02 AM

Permanently Banned
Imagining american sniper+rifles vs wehr. Shutters*
18 Jan 2015, 06:04 AM

Permanently Banned
ya'll say sniper play hinders general gameplay, but you're going to wish you had one when you're playing from behind and your vet-0 infantry cannot stand against a vet 5 PG squad or a vet 3 paratrooper with double LMG's

Also who the hell is using snipers in the late game vs vet 5 infantry??? This is mostly just a ploy to get snipers on americans to break there early game. How would that be balanced? Because all thats gonna do is make USF win ratio in small games shoot up above 75% while not actually fixing the late game.
18 Jan 2015, 07:02 AM

Also who the hell is using snipers in the late game vs vet 5 infantry??? This is mostly just a ploy to get snipers on americans to break there early game. How would that be balanced? Because all thats gonna do is make USF win ratio in small games shoot up above 75% while not actually fixing the late game.

...you play 4v4s... dont' make balance suggestions.
18 Jan 2015, 07:05 AM

Permanently Banned

...you play 4v4s... dont' make balance suggestions.

I've been playing this game since open beta days, first 4 months were just me being a random 4v4 wehr only scrub. Hardly play 4v4s now at all. Try to be logical before just throwing out any buff for USF that isn't even in the problem areas. Those areas are lackluster 1 strat early game, and weak late game. What does sniper do for usf? Break early game while leaving late game unchanged. Fuck off.
18 Jan 2015, 10:14 AM

Except, they actually were developed by the exactly same people.
18 Jan 2015, 10:18 AM

No, they weren't. The team for Opposing Fronts was pretty much exactly the same as for vCoH, Tales of Valor and CoH2 somewhat share a team.
18 Jan 2015, 15:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Flame post #30 invised. Please do not resort to swearing like a trooper.

Back to topic
19 Jan 2015, 01:30 AM

I'd actually prefer if ALL snipers worked like Pathfinders and JLI instead of the other way around.

As far as mines go, USF definitely needs some sort of mine (even the light AT mine would work) but Wher mines are actually quite good. S-mines are great for area denial and Tellers are devastating vs early light vehicles. The biggest problem with Wher mines is that they cost a lot of munitions and as a result are often ignored in favor of early LMG42 upgrades.
19 Jan 2015, 08:33 AM

USF light AT mines are underestimated, place 10 of them in a cluster and you have a very high chance to break a tank's tracks. And you always can combine them with demo charges when you have assault engineers. M20 mine is devastating vs vehicles as well.
19 Jan 2015, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jan 2015, 08:33 AMofield
USF light AT mines are underestimated, place 10 of them in a cluster and you have a very high chance to break a tank's tracks. And you always can combine them with demo charges when you have assault engineers. M20 mine is devastating vs vehicles as well.

Light AT mines stop working after the 4-5th mine.
19 Jan 2015, 13:45 PM
Patrion 14

Soviet snipers are the epitome of bad game design.

I am not asking for realism but I would like to feel like I am playing some semblance of a WW2 game. Like, it would be pretty bad for the overall feel of the game if t34s had jetpacks to jump over obstacles.

This is pretty much what snipers do - they break everything that is supposed to be the defining characteristic of the unit, and replace it with a completely incongruous set of superpowers. These snipers can sprint away from infantry, cloak, turn around on a dime and shoot running, advancing infantry in the face with 100% efficiency, then continue sprinting away.

You want a proper sniper mechanic, make them have a setup / unsetup time of 2 seconds and a cone. Much like Raketenwerfer, they would still be able to unsetup and retreat, and camouflage when stationary in cover. Increase range to compensate and/or reduce uncloak time after shot. Fiddle with cost and popcap until balanced.
19 Jan 2015, 14:16 PM

Mines yes. Snipers, no way.

I still have nightmares of vCoh 2on2AT sniper spam wars. That was ridiculous.
22 Jan 2015, 16:45 PM

It's really childish to call people noobs just because they disagree with you.

Yup
22 Jan 2015, 16:54 PM

Soviet snipers are necessary because of how ridiculously powerful axis infantry gets later in the game. You can not nerf snipers and leave LMG42s or obers and to a lesser extent PFussiliers and Falls (with their vet5 schreck buddies) in their current state. Removing sprint is fine, but then walking stukas should not be so strong since you really need sprint to dodge them.

In my experience though, players just suck at dealing with them. Only twice in all the games I've played has an axis player tried to actually flank or creep up on my snipers, often to great effect. It seems like it's mostly bad players complaining about them when all they do is throw units at them and wonder why it won't work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★