Login

russian armor

life threatening sound bug

11 Feb 2015, 19:35 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Does lowering the sound quality really have an effect on stutters and this sound bug?
24 Apr 2015, 17:45 PM
24 Apr 2015, 18:05 PM

That one is epic :D I m sorry for you Romeo but it was really funny to watch :(
24 Apr 2015, 18:23 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I Haven't had the misfortune of this happening to me and I have always had my sound settings set to low
24 Apr 2015, 18:29 PM

Since day one, it is so frightening!
24 Apr 2015, 18:58 PM

Some say whenever a Relic staff worker gets fired, some players hear this frightening sound...
24 Apr 2015, 19:49 PM

I'm 100% certain it's related to the badly coded reverb in the game because we can hear the massive reverb on that sound. To my ears, COH2's reverb sounds cheap, metallic and poorly implemented (I have used DAWs and done my own mixing for my band and others so I've worked with a lot of software effects and sound design.)

A reverb is nothing but a series of echoes that are filtered. To do this digitally you feed the delayed signal back into the original.

We know COH2 has memory management problems. I start lagging at start after 4-5 games. What is probably happening is the bad memory handling is resulting in stuff getting stuck in the buffers for the reverb effect, producing an overload that results in a digital glitch. I think the reason that it's so much louder than the game sound is because the ambient effects subroutine is somehow not tied to the game master volume, it's running on the sound files and those sounds are controlled by the master volume so normally you shouldn't have an issue. But if the reverb/ambient subroutine is bugged then it's perfectly possible for that sound glitch to be louder than the rest of the game.

It's nothing like any glitch I've heard in any effect, and it's not the driver getting stuck (if this happens because of a CPU overload and the entire driver crashes you usually get a fraction of the last sound played infinitely, which sounds like a constant tone). I've never heard anything like this though when I was mixing and experimenting no matter how many reverbs I feed into delays into reverbs and so on...But software for musicians is usually better coded.

If you want to know more (sound design and coding is fascinating) try this article: https://christianfloisand.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/digital-reverberation/

24 Apr 2015, 20:53 PM

I'm 100% certain it's related to the badly coded reverb in the game because we can hear the massive reverb on that sound. To my ears, COH2's reverb sounds cheap, metallic and poorly implemented (I have used DAWs and done my own mixing for my band and others so I've worked with a lot of software effects and sound design.)

A reverb is nothing but a series of echoes that are filtered. To do this digitally you feed the delayed signal back into the original.

We know COH2 has memory management problems. I start lagging at start after 4-5 games. What is probably happening is the bad memory handling is resulting in stuff getting stuck in the buffers for the reverb effect, producing an overload that results in a digital glitch. I think the reason that it's so much louder than the game sound is because the ambient effects subroutine is somehow not tied to the game master volume, it's running on the sound files and those sounds are controlled by the master volume so normally you shouldn't have an issue. But if the reverb/ambient subroutine is bugged then it's perfectly possible for that sound glitch to be louder than the rest of the game.

It's nothing like any glitch I've heard in any effect, and it's not the driver getting stuck (if this happens because of a CPU overload and the entire driver crashes you usually get a fraction of the last sound played infinitely, which sounds like a constant tone). I've never heard anything like this though when I was mixing and experimenting no matter how many reverbs I feed into delays into reverbs and so on...But software for musicians is usually better coded.

If you want to know more (sound design and coding is fascinating) try this article: https://christianfloisand.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/digital-reverberation/

Good theory. Mine is buffer overflow.

They submit 3 sound effects to the sound buffer. Lets say the data stream has a header which contains Volume V followed by content C.

Code

| sound 1 | sound 2 | sound 3 |
|[V1][ C1 ]|[V2][ C2 ]|[V3][ C3 ]|
pretend data: |[10][sf1fdf]|[15][df3t3d]|[10][7fdg31]|

Although they only submitted 3 pieces of data into the buffer, they request sound 4 played.

Code

| sound 1 | sound 2 | sound 3 | sound 4? |
|[V1][ C1 ]|[V2][ C2 ]|[V3][ C3 ]| [V?][ C? ]|
pretend data: |[10][sf1fdf]|[15][df3t3d]|[10][7fdg31]| [99][gfddd]|

The memory addressed by sound 4 is garbage - partially overwritten data from previous data stream or unallocated memory.

The sound processor goes and:

Play sf1fdf @ volume 10
Play df3t3d @ volume 15
Play 7fdg31 @ volume 10
Play gfddd @ volume 99 <-- romeo dies
24 Apr 2015, 22:55 PM
Patrion 14

I swear this sound is getting louder each patch. It used to be bearable, but today I had it happen to me and I almost fell off my chair.

Hopefully relic will pay for my tinnitus.
24 Apr 2015, 23:56 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Somebody PLEASE blow up and GIF Romeo's webcam reaction to the soundbug/gunshot-to-the-head in that video. :clap:
25 Apr 2015, 00:36 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2015, 20:53 PMdbmb

Good theory. Mine is buffer overflow.

They submit 3 sound effects to the sound buffer. Lets say the data stream has a header which contains Volume V followed by content C.

Code

| sound 1 | sound 2 | sound 3 |
|[V1][ C1 ]|[V2][ C2 ]|[V3][ C3 ]|
pretend data: |[10][sf1fdf]|[15][df3t3d]|[10][7fdg31]|

Although they only submitted 3 pieces of data into the buffer, they request sound 4 played.

Code

| sound 1 | sound 2 | sound 3 | sound 4? |
|[V1][ C1 ]|[V2][ C2 ]|[V3][ C3 ]| [V?][ C? ]|
pretend data: |[10][sf1fdf]|[15][df3t3d]|[10][7fdg31]| [99][gfddd]|

The memory addressed by sound 4 is garbage - partially overwritten data from previous data stream or unallocated memory.

The sound processor goes and:

Play sf1fdf @ volume 10
Play df3t3d @ volume 15
Play 7fdg31 @ volume 10
Play gfddd @ volume 99 <-- romeo dies

Yep that sounds right. It explains why it can be reproduced on replays and it shows how badly coded the game is. That's exactly why in all voip and telephone standards voice volume is coded twice with checksum - to ensure it's always correct. It may be also foult of usage of pointer arithmetic: maybe some other method is writing over sound buffer changing the loudness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrsL2b9Fr8&t=14m15s&t=14m15s

Can you guys hear that a minute later the smoke granade does mortar explosion sound? It may lead to the buffer theory being true: the bad sound from the buffer is played.
25 Apr 2015, 01:45 AM

The Sturmtigers noise cancellation stops it interestingly enough. Although good luck timing your Sturmtiger blast with the noise.
25 Apr 2015, 03:07 AM

Wouldn't it not necessarily replicate to all computers during a replay if it had to do with a buffer overflow/underrun or something like that?

I guess I'm not sure on the specifics but wouldn't each audio driver/system handle the allocation/processing of data slightly differently?

Although, that could explain why some people never have it, and others do have it at times.

Maybe we should have like 40 brave souls see if we all get it during the same game that Romeo cast?
25 Apr 2015, 03:11 AM

This really ... really needs to be fixed. I heard they can't replicate it though?
25 Apr 2015, 04:38 AM

I would bet people with massive amounts of fast ram get it less frequently, but that's just my theory. We have no idea how the sound system actually works...

25 Apr 2015, 04:52 AM
Patrion 28

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2015, 03:07 AMCieZ

Maybe we should have like 40 brave souls see if we all get it during the same game that Romeo cast?

i'm willing to try
25 Apr 2015, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

FUCK, MY EARS! -Way too often
25 Apr 2015, 08:51 AM

Somebody PLEASE blow up and GIF Romeo's webcam reaction to the soundbug/gunshot-to-the-head in that video. :clap:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO DIS.
25 Apr 2015, 09:05 AM

At some point, someone will get heart attack.

I have around 1400h with CoH2 yet I did not experience this pudding.
1 May 2015, 20:39 PM

Is there any bug in any other game, or program, that tops this?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★