Login

russian armor

Jaeger Infantry Doctrine vs Microed dual Soviet Snipers?

29 Dec 2014, 02:11 AM

I was looking into this doctrine for the bane of my existence, the dual soviet snipers backed by several support units (Conscript w/ AT nades, guards infantry, eventually SU85's and such or if it's a 2v2, MG's and Zis) Granted I'm playing 2v2 mostly, occaisonally I play a 1v1, 3v3's and 4v4's its pretty much a non-issue though.

SO I was thinking Jaeger Infantry because you can cloak, when your unit is cloaked in cover so it denies the sniper a target, at least until it uncloaks plus you stand a solid chance of ambushing the soviet snipers as they attack-move across the map, People often mention G43's when talking about how to upgrade your grens so they can counter the sniper, a slightly well microed sniper can dodge a rifle grenade these days with relative ease, but the grens also get the ability to run, I.E. close the distance between your infantry and the sniper(s).

I took out the other Doctrine I was thinking of using to counter the snipers, Spearhead with the MTHT, but as you know mortar rounds are RNG dependent, and dependent on your opponent making a mistake, to kill a sniper. I rarely get a solid flame round off from it, and if I miss, it's 40 munitions gone. Since this one is more Muni dependent I can still get a PIV early into a round, and if the PIV gets vet1, it can chase down and kill snipers pretty well.

Not to mention Grens w/G43's and MG42's is probably the infantry unit with the most AI overall in the whole game even though it costs 105 munitions to pull off, helpful in massive infantry battles if you asked me.

What do you guys think?
29 Dec 2014, 16:27 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

I think Mechanized Assault - Assgrens -but I am probably wrong. :(

Any Strategists/Writers/budding Ostheer Commanders out there, willing to assist, please? :)
29 Dec 2014, 16:46 PM

I don't believe much in weapon/camouflage upgrades' efficiency against snipers because there are lots of other threats to take into account and if you lose your squads to HE fire+snipers it's whole lot of MN gone down the drain.

Here's some of early-game units/abilities that could be useful:

(1) The Stuka Smoke Drop can allow you to deny vision/get close to snipers and the units protecting them without taking damage on your approach;
(2) The Mechanized Assault commander: The Assault Grenadiers' Sprint ability and the 250 halftrack with the Panzergrenadiers can both be used to flank and get close to the snipers while your other units draw attention;
(3) The Encirclement commander's Stormtroopers can be very efficient against snipers on maps with buildings - they can appear from a building next to a sniper and have the Sprint ability to close distance/chase them;
(4) Using a commander with the Relief Infantry can turn the manpower bleed against snipers in your favor by supplying the Osttruppen (who also are six-man squads and thus more efficient as line-holding infantry against snipers) in return for lost infantry models.
29 Dec 2014, 21:21 PM
Patrion 14

Ostruppen are the best wehrmacht-doctrine counters to snipers imo. However, jaeger infantry can work if you arre willing to bait the snipers into a trap. A single camoed Pgren squad will utterly destroy the snipers, but you need to be careful not to let the enemy's screening infantry to spot you. In general, I try to get either a scout car up or a halftrack, and use the halftrack to carry pgrens into the enemy sniper's retreat path. You can even drop the pgrens in the enemy base if you want to.
9 Jan 2015, 13:24 PM

Generally speaking, vs multiple snipers, your best bets is to gren spam (5x) and take the map+quick tech as sniper builds have to stay compact. Spread out and cap, cap cap. Somewhat map dependent ofc.

Also, Jaeger infantry is alright, as G43's do a job, you have an army wide sprint if you really need to chase them off and camo can be cleverly used, although it is tricky.

Aside from that, MHT at least makes the snipers move and can occasionally bleed/wipe them. Not my favourite method, but on some maps, gren spam and a MHT is your best bets.

Unless you got super micro, where a sniper of your own and green cover usage could work.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★