Login

russian armor

Uses for Unloved Units: End Year Update

25 Dec 2014, 16:20 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Been a while since we did this, and certainly since they broke the link between bulletins and achievements

http://www.coh2.org/topic/17651/uses-for-unloved-units-4-45mm-atg

http://www.coh2.org/topic/14441/uses-for-mechanised-groups

http://www.coh2.org/topic/15471/uses-for-stug-es

http://www.coh2.org/topic/16469/uses-for-unloved-units-3-the-dishka

Currently the rarest achievements:

.3%

1) Deploy 50 Mech Assault Groups and 50 Mech Grenadier Groups

2) Kill 5 Tigers with 45mm AT Guns

3) Deploy 50 Partsian SMGs, 50 Rifles and 50 LMGs

.4%

4) Deploy 200 Ostruppen

5) Kill 20 Vehicles with Partisan Tank Hunters

6) Destroy 100 vehicles with B4 howitzers

7) Destroy 20 vehicles with Dishkas

.5%

8) Kill 50 LEIG 18 crew members with ML20s

9) Destroy 40 light vehicles with SU-76s, and get 3 Vet levels with 20 SU-76

10) Destroy 25 222s with 81mm mortars

11) Get 3 Vet levels with 40 M3s

This was the Top 10 as of March:

1 BLITZKRIEG Deploy 50 Mechanized Assault Groups and 50 Mechanized Grenadier Groups.

2 Size Doesn't Matter
Kill 5 Tigers with M-42 AT gun

3 Rapid Fire Anti-Tank
Destroy 20 vehicles with DShK Heavy Machine Guns

4 Someone Needs to Man those Guns!
Deploy 200 Osttruppen squads.

5 SURPRISE!
Destroy 20 vehicles with Partisan Tank Hunters

6 They're Coming Out of the Woodwork!
Deploy 50 Partisan LMG Squads, 50 Partisan SMG Squads and 50 Partisan Rifle Squads

7 BOOM!
Kill 100 vehicles with B4 howitzers

8 We're Going to Need a Bigger Gun
Get 100 kills using a KV2.

9 Makeshift Artillery
Kill 200 infantry with STUG III E assault gun

10 Assault Grenadiers
Kill 50 enemies with a single Assault Grenadier Squad

The KV2 and Agrens are now at the .6 level, so they've risen slightly above the top 10

The STUG E is up at .8
25 Dec 2014, 16:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge

It is not surprising to note there that some of the units that only appear in one doctrine are down there, or even that the least popular needs unique units from two doctrines

However the STUG-E is quite good now, so it is not surprising that it has gone up in the world

Nor is it that surprising that the weakest non doctrinal achievements relate to:

Vetting the SU-76 (given that its a glass cannon without the cannon)

Vetting the M3 (By the time this can get to Vet 3 it's counters are on the field, and it comes later now)

Killing vehicles with mortars which is basically luck

Surprisingly though:

The B4, which good enough to get called OP, has not budged.

Ostruppen remain rare despite being buffed and despite various people raving about how good they are now
26 Dec 2014, 06:13 AM

eh its just achievements so i wouldn't pay mind to them. However some of those units are either not very good, or placed on an unpopular doctrine. Also you have to factor in what is considered the meta. Some units are not popular because everyone is doing what is popular at the moment.
26 Dec 2014, 22:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Achievements are the only real data that gives us an indication of what people are actually using.

As such they can indicate the underused and unpopular units

One of the reasons I do threads like this is because I like to challenge the accepted wisdom of what is good or not

Another is to find the units that my opponents will be unfamiliar with

As someone complaining about a stale meta this an exercise I would expect you to support
27 Dec 2014, 17:03 PM

Achievements are the only real data that gives us an indication of what people are actually using.

As such they can indicate the underused and unpopular units

One of the reasons I do threads like this is because I like to challenge the accepted wisdom of what is good or not

Another is to find the units that my opponents will be unfamiliar with

As someone complaining about a stale meta this an exercise I would expect you to support

but you have to look at some of the achievements, especially the very specific ones. I think it could tell us what is being underused, but some of those achievements are so rare that i wouldn't exactly use it as an indication. EX: Killing the ML20 crewmembers with LEIG or using 45at guns to kill TIgers. It is much harder when you have to pick the specific commander, ad then kill a specific unit with that commander.

29 Dec 2014, 09:49 AM
Honorary Member Badge

This true, kill doctrinal unit with another doctrinal unit may not happen very often, especially if both are pretty rare (you almost never see duels between fixed artillery in normal matches, I had to go to the campaign to unlock that)

The B4 is still a suprise though because it hasn't moved despite the fact that gets attention as being OP and Axis commander selection is supposedly all about countering it

For comparison the largest doctrinal achievement is to get 50 kills with a Tiger (6.8%); which is more popular than getting an SU-76 to Vet 3 (6.7%)

The largest doc on doc is to kill 10 IS2s with Tigers (1.4%), interestingly the reverse is 1.1%

Which either reflects more Axis players, or that the Tiger is availible in more commanders than the IS2
21 Jan 2015, 15:49 PM
Donator 11

Which either reflects more Axis players, or that the Tiger is availible in more commanders than the IS2

There is also the Theater of War Challenge "Tiger Ace" which will get you the achievement, so I think it is a bit skewed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★