Login

russian armor

Coh2 Menus are laggy

19 Dec 2014, 15:48 PM

Hello ladies!

Is it me, or are the Company of Heroes 2 Menu laggy like hell?
Getting down to 15 fps in the search menu, and that just not good enough when it should be atleast 60!
Relic, please do something to this!
19 Dec 2014, 16:28 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2014, 15:48 PMpixeldk
Hello ladies!

Is it me, or are the Company of Heroes 2 Menu laggy like hell?
Getting down to 15 fps in the search menu, and that just not good enough when it should be atleast 60!
Relic, please do something to this!

I have made this obervation too. It is due to the background clips which only run at a max of like 30 fps which caps all menues to that.

After I realised this, I renamed the videos which play in the background (or delete them) which unlocks the refresh rate. You can find the video files under

/steam/steamApps/common/company of heroes 2/coh2/movies

The vlc-player can open the files (.webm) so you can go through them and see if it is one that you need to rename/delete.

I'm currently looking for a way to just replace these files with a picture/screenshot but I haven't made any progress.

If you remove/rename the files the background will be black but the menues are a lot more responsive and should refresh at the maximum possible frame rate.

Let me know if this helps and if you need any more help :)
19 Dec 2014, 18:32 PM

Well it helps on some menus screens. The only menu screen it dosen't help, is the "Start searching" for automatch screen. Here i only have 15-20 no matter if there is a video or not.

Any help.. have u the same?

19 Dec 2014, 22:47 PM

I've been saying this since beta. There was a change that suddenly made it laggy, so I don't think it is entirely to do with the background videos. It was probably a framerate cap that was put on it so as not to strain the GPU while idling in the menu. But the cap is far too low. Sorry I cannot help you, but I think this is something Relic needs to change.
19 Dec 2014, 23:48 PM

After a lost game you're already upset and then, the garden game menu is lagging and not responding properly. Thats absolute Bullpudding.I Alt F4 this game frequently.
25 Mar 2015, 09:24 AM

I have made this obervation too. It is due to the background clips which only run at a max of like 30 fps which caps all menues to that.

After I realised this, I renamed the videos which play in the background (or delete them) which unlocks the refresh rate. You can find the video files under

/steam/steamApps/common/company of heroes 2/coh2/movies

The vlc-player can open the files (.webm) so you can go through them and see if it is one that you need to rename/delete.

I'm currently looking for a way to just replace these files with a picture/screenshot but I haven't made any progress.

If you remove/rename the files the background will be black but the menues are a lot more responsive and should refresh at the maximum possible frame rate.

Let me know if this helps and if you need any more help :)

Tnx! Removing video worked, before 30 fps now 60 fps in menu.
25 Mar 2015, 09:57 AM

Try to switch from full screen (Alt+Enter) to windowed and back, it helps me every time.
25 Mar 2015, 10:02 AM

The entire menu is horrid and over done.

simple is better.
25 Mar 2015, 10:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2015, 10:02 AMwuff
The entire menu is horrid and over done.

simple is better.

As a graphic and UX designer I have to admit that you're some kind of right.
Many things are well hidden while others are available with a single click but not needed at all.
I always ask myself: Why is there a slider for the menu opacity?
If you want to watch the background videos you can simply enter the folder where they are located.
27 Mar 2015, 12:29 PM
Patrion 14

Tnx! Removing video worked, before 30 fps now 60 fps in menu.

My pleasure. If anyone knows how to save something like an image in the format that coh2 uses for the background videos, please let me know. Maybe we can create a little mod with some nice fan-art backgrounds or screenshots.
27 Mar 2015, 15:12 PM

Ha, find something in this game that DOESN'T lag!
27 Mar 2015, 18:07 PM
Donator 11

I wish the took the background from the Theater of war (the night time one with the search lights and AA guns in the background). Then they should added this music to it

Cap the video at 60fps and get rid if the HUGE box that shows update information in it, it makes the menu laggy and run even slower, instead put updates as an expandable or transparent text box kind of like the chat system.
29 Mar 2015, 16:37 PM
Patrion 14

My god, the menus without those background movies respond so smoothly Kreygasm

How is it possible a company fucks up something like this? Way to go..

Thanks for telling how to delete those movies!
29 Mar 2015, 18:04 PM

So its laggy. Whats the Problem?
I don't give a shit about the menus, Relic should fix the game performance and i would be happy. Garden the menu!
28 Dec 2015, 22:45 PM

omg thanks for this!!!!! It was annoying the crap out of me since I have a beastly machine
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 32
Peru 18
United Kingdom 47
unknown 4
United States 2
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W