Login

russian armor

Artillery: Soviet 152mm, Ostheer 105mm

18 Dec 2014, 13:44 PM

Hey,

I haven´t seen a recent topic about artillery pieces. I barely see the 152mm and 105mms ingame. I think they are totally not worth it. I don´t have WFA so this might as well apply to the Priest, but I can´t tell.

The doctrines that contain these guns block every option to get heavy armor for Soviets and Germans alike. Thus I think they should pack some punch.

Since some patches ago though they don´t do that. I think this is because they fire quite slowly so only the first shot catches the enemy off guard. However the first shot almost never ever hits the target.

Thus the biggest notable effect artillery pieces have, is area denial. Tbh it´s hardly worth going for some area denial instead of a Tiger or T-34/85.

I really want to use those guns, but atm they are hardly a good choice.

Opinions? Solutions?
18 Dec 2014, 13:47 PM

They're not worth it from what I see. I used it and the LeFh 18 missed every with every shell. At least the ML/20 has a better chance with its larger AoE. Stil not to my liking though.

This doesn't apply to Priest though. I see it as the one hit squad annihilator champion alongside the 75mm Rekt Howitzer.
18 Dec 2014, 14:10 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

They got overnerfed (my humble opinion) a while back. The LeFH used to be absolutely bonkers, but since the number of shots it fires got severely reduced it's not particularly useful anymore. I still use the ML-20 from time to time, but, again, the reduced number of rounds/salvo very much reduces the appeal. I think if each one fired a couple more shots, they might find a home again in players' armies.
Side note: either one of these in a 2v2 on Crossing is FUCKING INSANE.
18 Dec 2014, 14:14 PM

Soviet 152- mabye it would be good but its virtually impossible to win w/o callin tanks

ostheer 105 - just about the worst unit in the game it does like 150 damage per shot...tanks do 160 damage per shot...if it hits it doesn't even do anything same scatter as the 152 which does 300 damage it looks like they just forgot to even look at the numbers on this unit b/c they are horrid

Priest- an ok unit b/c it can run into like 70 range and get very low scatter on the shots, However its the most expensive unit buildable by USF and its not worth that much rate of fire needs to be higher to justify the price tag its like never going to get more kills than even a scott for half the price or a sherman which is still cheaper. Good vs jagtigers/kts to be fair though

18 Dec 2014, 14:59 PM
Donator 33

Ostheer artillery piece used to shoot 12 shots during its barrage, and ML-20 shot around 6 or 8 rounds per barrage
18 Dec 2014, 16:58 PM

I use them on quite regular basis in my Soviet play. Especially against OKW.
They are very useful and powerful tools when utilized correctly.
18 Dec 2014, 17:03 PM

Priest is good, but too expensive. Should cost like 90 fuel.
18 Dec 2014, 17:03 PM

This has been a problem for ages. I think one fix would be to balance them around not actually being physical guns on the map, but have them built off-map. Then when you want to barrage, you call in the artillery. That way the gun cannot be harassed and is much less of a risky investment.
18 Dec 2014, 17:08 PM

Yes please bring the stationary cannons back! I a so sick of rocket artillery!
18 Dec 2014, 17:45 PM

LeFh 18 always misses and even if you have luck and hit something it will deal zero damage.

ML-20 is a bit better but you lack late game armor if you use it.

Both howitzers need a buff.
18 Dec 2014, 17:57 PM

Soviet 152- mabye it would be good but its virtually impossible to win w/o callin tanks

Doctrines with no late game call-in for soviets is dead doctrines. At least in 2v2. ML-20 itself is fine.
19 Dec 2014, 00:28 AM

The problem with at least the soviet arty is not the unit it self but how easily it can be countered. Basically if Wehr has the elefant doc then you re wasting 600mp for nothing. If OKW gets stuka, same thing.
When it does work though its pretty good.
19 Dec 2014, 00:32 AM
Patrion 15

I casted a game that everyone commenting in this thread should watch regarding the ML20 and soviet T34s against okw.

It also happens to be one of the most entertaining and exciting games i've ever casted/watched.

I'll post the link when its uploaded.
19 Dec 2014, 01:14 AM

I like Terror. My lategame build is T4 for Su-85, I call-in the Kv-8 and build a howi. Fun as hell. The only problem with only having the Kv-8 as a call-in is those volksblobs. The Su-85 can take on a Kt, but the Kv-8 has problems with the volks. If you ever get tired of T85s or Is-2s this is a fun build.
19 Dec 2014, 01:35 AM

I casted a game that everyone commenting in this thread should watch regarding the ML20 and soviet T34s against okw.

It also happens to be one of the most entertaining and exciting games i've ever casted/watched.

provide a link for all us lazy f***s, please
19 Dec 2014, 07:05 AM

First, they need to be cheaper. I mean, ok, a brick maybe hit me in the head and I will be stupid enough to build a useless unit. But the price will still awake me.

They need to be: cheaper and more accurate. They allready have the disadvantage that they are STATIC. I don't care if they have 12, or 50 shots, the higher the number, the useless that arty piece will be. I mean c'mon, who is that stupid to let its infantry, guns, etc, in the fire range? 6 shots will be more than enough, but make them count. Only then you will see they are used again.
19 Dec 2014, 08:16 AM

I would agree static artillery should be cheaper but if relic has valued the pak howitzer at 480mp and the ISG at 420mp then there isn't a great deal of room to reduce the cost. 520mp maybe?
19 Dec 2014, 09:34 AM
Patrion 28

or maybe those artillery pieces are over priced as well?
19 Dec 2014, 10:06 AM

I'll post the link when its uploaded.

I'll bet it is a replay with StephennJF. He uses arty and he is very good at it (imo the most fun/good player to watch).
19 Dec 2014, 10:32 AM

I like Terror. My lategame build is T4 for Su-85, I call-in the Kv-8 and build a howi. Fun as hell. The only problem with only having the Kv-8 as a call-in is those volksblobs. The Su-85 can take on a Kt, but the Kv-8 has problems with the volks. If you ever get tired of T85s or Is-2s this is a fun build.

Get Katyusha :) Works wonders.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight