Login

russian armor

American Faction

18 Dec 2014, 06:22 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to preface this post by stating that I'm a long time CoH player, and I love watching and playing all factions. I feel like every faction has something interesting going for it and I love switching things up and playing something different every night. That being said:

There have been various times in CoH2's history that I've felt moments of rage either playing or watching casts. I'm one of those people that loves trying different strats and tries my hardest not to blame the game for things that are overcomeable via strategic approaches.

Here are the most notable examples:

Right after release the t-70 was a complete rape machine, wiping squad after squad on retreat. Really frustrating to watch as even if you retreated as soon as you saw the thing, you were still assured to lose your squad. I remember watching casts and every time a t-70 died, I cheered as the thing was so cheesy.

MG nonsense: there was a period where mg-42s were a force unto themselves and where suppression was off the charts with bulletins. Flanking these monsters didn't pay off much either. Relic fixed this but that memory haunts me.

T-34/76 after release was one of the most infuriating units ever for both sides. The thing couldn't kill anything and was only ever made to ram tanks. Lame for the guy building it, lame for the guy getting rammed.

Snipers in M3s and clown cars: There was a period where this was just out of control.

Fast forward a bit as I don't want this to get too long and we come to the recent meta of frustrating Is-152s squad wiping everything vs frustrating Jagdtiger murdering all vehicles... not fun for either side and people bitching about both. Kind of fixed but still a memorable period.

The reason I bring up all of this, is that I just watched a live game within the client of Bananainpajamas vs. dbmb. Banana was playing the US and dbmb was playing as OKW. I have rarely felt such frustration as I did watching this game. Early game, dbmb lost a ton of stuff because he got flanked, didn't retreat soon enough, and generally got out played. I remember thinking to myself at one point, "Wow, this is a boring game, it's completely over." And yet, nope.

Dbmb went for a flak halftrack which Banana responded to by getting zooks as he had already teched LT. He bought I think 8 zooks total, and yet was completely unable to kill the halftrack or really, anything else with them. Most of them ended up in OKW hands or lost despite banana's top notch micro. That was all of his early munitions... for nothing. And yet, I think I watched 4 seperate occasions where shreks sniped 1 or more models, with there being a full squad wipe at some point. It was seriously painful to watch shot after shot miss (or later bounce) from the zooks.

Banana went for Armor Company to get 2 bulldozers and an m-10 and while one of the bulldozers managed to full wipe a volks squad at one point, the number of misses from the bulldozers, and bounces from the m-10 was down right embarrassing.

I know that this is largely a "rage" post as I feel quite frustrated right now despite it not being my game that I just experienced, but I just wanted to say that I feel like the American faction is horridly frustrating at the moment. Annoying in the early game for OST and painful as the Amis later on against both OST and OKW. Dbmb didn't play poorly at all, but the number of mistakes he made in that game should have hurt him way more than it did. Watching all of the American tech and call ins fail miserably just reminded me of all the other times in CoH2 history that I've felt frustration towards the game and I wanted to express it.

How do you guys feel about the American faction as a whole right now? I have good matches and bad, but ultimately, whenever I watch top level replays or casts, I feel like the faction is currently very flawed.
18 Dec 2014, 07:33 AM

Though the US has good units and strategies many of their units, abilities, and upgrades are downright underperforming. As for the ones you mentioned:

Bazookas as you mentioned are a known issue. They are inaccurate, innefective against real armor due to low penetration, and even if they hit and penetrate the damage they inflict is low and insignificant to most tanks. Overall they underperform on all fronts and aren't really worth the 60 munitions spent to purchase them let alone the manpower and fuel investment to simply unlock them.

As for the 105 and M10:
The 105 really isn't that bad, but some bad luck can cause them to miss a lot. They are pretty balanced if used well. The problem comes with the M10. If banana went for double 105s then he would be suffering in the AT department and 1 M10 isn't really going to do the job.

That said the M10 really does suffer from a lack of role. It's only really useful against P4s, but doesn't even handle that well. Against panthers and Tigers it is simply useless which is bad for a unit that proclaims to be a tank destroyer. It is made obsolete far too quickly for a unit that comes out rather late. Overall I think the devs have sacrificed far too much to keep it "cheap" and it's bad stats give it little utility on the battlefield.
18 Dec 2014, 10:24 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

USF is way too good vs ostheer and way too weak against okw. So the faction isn't blanket underpowered, just in certain ways that okw can exploit.
18 Dec 2014, 14:41 PM

Permanently Banned
usf is a one trick pony faction.

only certain strats work. currently m8 abuse is newest addition

wehr needs a buff against usf

but usf needs a serious buff when it comes against okw late game
18 Dec 2014, 14:47 PM

usf is a one trick pony faction.

only certain strats work. currently m8 abuse is newest addition

wehr needs a buff against usf

but usf needs a serious buff when it comes against okw late game

-Wehr gets buffed against USF.

-USF gets buffed against OKW.

-Wehr gets buffed against USF again from USF buff against OKW.

-Soviet gets buffed to keep up with Wehr.

Sounds like this is what will happen if we don't tone down OKW. Seems very complicated. ;)
18 Dec 2014, 15:09 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2014, 14:47 PMsteel

-Wehr gets buffed against USF.

-USF gets buffed against OKW.

-Wehr gets buffed against USF again from USF buff against OKW.

-Soviet gets buffed to keep up with Wehr.

Sounds like this is what will happen if we don't tone down OKW. Seems very complicated. ;)

Ur right. nurfing okw late game is best option
18 Dec 2014, 15:30 PM

I personally thought OKW was fine with the reduced Muni and weaker Panther when I was playing them. I think the Panther rebuff was the biggest Mistake. Because prior to this dual M10s could take down a Panther with micro as I feel they should.

Now that Adamantium armor and Blitz are back you can literally build the Panther as your first tank in the Midgame and only lose it against USF if you make a H U G E mistake.

When USF relies on AI Armor to take on Obers and Shrek Blobs having access that early to a Heavy tank that the USF is designed to struggle against is a very big mistake.

Back before the Panther buff people used to use the JP4 OMG!!!!!!!

18 Dec 2014, 19:11 PM

Yeah, regardless of okw late game strength, something needs to be done about the bazooka. It was madening watching shot after shot miss while that flak half track and later luchs shredded everything.
18 Dec 2014, 19:27 PM

I personally thought OKW was fine with the reduced Muni and weaker Panther when I was playing them. I think the Panther rebuff was the biggest Mistake. Because prior to this dual M10s could take down a Panther with micro as I feel they should.

Now that Adamantium armor and Blitz are back you can literally build the Panther as your first tank in the Midgame and only lose it against USF if you make a H U G E mistake.

When USF relies on AI Armor to take on Obers and Shrek Blobs having access that early to a Heavy tank that the USF is designed to struggle against is a very big mistake.

Back before the Panther buff people used to use the JP4 OMG!!!!!!!

+1

They should nerf schrecks to bazooka levels of penetration as well and then maybe it can be called a fair game
18 Dec 2014, 19:35 PM

Idk about this other stuff, but zooks should probably be buffed so they can actually perform their role as a light vehicle killer. Probably shouldn't take 3 zook shots to kill a kubel when it only takes 2 shrek shots to kill an m3. Or at least buff the accuracy of zooks so they can actually hit a light vehicle once in a while.
18 Dec 2014, 19:56 PM

I would like to see

Bazookas: medium accuracy, medium pen, medium damage, medium rate of fire

Shreks: low accuracy (at long range), high pen, high damage, low rof

Ptrs: high accuracy, low pen, low damage, high rof

Currently it's:

Bazookas: low accuracy, low pen, medium damage, medium rof

Shreks: high accuracy, high pen, high damage, low rof

Ptrs: high accuracy, low pen, low damage, medium rof
18 Dec 2014, 20:19 PM

This is how i feel about the american faction too.

I feel they are too good vs wehrmacht, and way too shitty againts OKW.

To beat USF as wehrmacht, you have to micro everything 100% perfectly as 1 small mistake will doom you forever and you will lose.

While OKW can easily lose squads left and right, do retarded things that make no sense, and still somehow make an "epic" comeback vs USF.
18 Dec 2014, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2014, 20:19 PMBurts
This is how i feel about the american faction too.

I feel they are too good vs wehrmacht, and way too shitty againts OKW.

To beat USF as wehrmacht, you have to micro everything 100% perfectly as 1 small mistake will doom you forever and you will lose.

While OKW can easily lose squads left and right, do retarded things that make no sense, and still somehow make an "epic" comeback vs USF.

This. This right here.
19 Dec 2014, 23:50 PM

would really like to see some more reliable at options. 90mm aa guns, 3-inch at guns, recoiless rifles, sticky bombs (lol) - so many possibilities.

or i guess you can buff the bazooka.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS