Login

russian armor

Why we haven't seen a quality Balancing patch in awhile

16 Dec 2014, 17:08 PM

Hello my beautiful Bears and internet strangers,

The question is simple. Why haven't we seen a quality balancing patch in awhile? I've got the answer.

"Keep in mind our focus over the last two months has been gameplay improvements such as the modifications to squad cover behaviour, team weapons, buildings, etc. We'll be shifting back to competitive gameplay/balance in the coming months." - pqumsieh (10-31-2014)

Relic has no resources that are 100% dedicated to balancing efforts. I can't blame them. After getting the la-grande office tour there is only a certain amount of staff. When I was there the staff was all dedicated to AA. Now that AA is released......it makes you wonder what these resources are working on.

Yours as always,

President Bear
16 Dec 2014, 17:13 PM

Yea...k
16 Dec 2014, 17:21 PM
Benefactor 115

possibly another game since they have a vacancy open for an Executive Producer. Possibly XP2 as well
16 Dec 2014, 17:31 PM

Probably another expansion for summer which will f*ck balance up even more.
16 Dec 2014, 17:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 17:08 PMNapalm

Keep in mind our focus over the last two months has been gameplay improvements such as the modifications to squad cover behaviour, team weapons, buildings, etc.

These gameplay improvements are highly questionable.

Squad cover behaviour: due to units clumping together even more, cover against AOE damage weapons is actually more dangerous

Team weapons: AT-gun prioritizing vehicles doesn't work properly, AT-guns don't provide green cover to the crew, there's also a bug with at least mortars and AT-guns where they become totally unresponsive to commands

Buildings: buildings are now even more unpredictable; sometimes there's no way to tell whether it will go down after the first grenade or not since the building health bar doesn't seem to correlate with this at all - note: this is just my general feeling though, I might be wrong with this one

Other issues that haven't improved:

*fast forward/lag freezes
*units still getting stuck on dying models
*units getting stuck in base structures (mainly OKW)
*retreat not stopping when reaching the HQ
*RNG criticals (kubel taking 4 SU-85 shots and surviving with a crit every time, imagine if this was a happening with a heavy tank in a tournament situation)
*grenade abilities not working properly

The retreat and grenade bugs were claimed to be fixed in an earlier patch but the problems still exists in the game.

There's probably more but these were the ones I came up with for now.

16 Dec 2014, 17:56 PM

not sure why.... maybe decided to just fix some easier AA stuff before holiday break?.
16 Dec 2014, 17:57 PM

They are probably spending their time thinking new and innovative bugs to put in the game.
16 Dec 2014, 19:30 PM

I do not think expecting the truly balanced patch anytime from relic is a good idea. Let's be frank about relic's incapacity of understanding how the war being conducted. There is no sense of joint operation or even combined arms most of time but spams is encouraged significantly without any penalty. Blobbing units is not suffering heavily from artillery or mortar or they simply encourage blobbing in 1v1 or 2v2. They designed the game not based upon real tactics but their imagination and one unit runs thru open area without heavy suffering when opponent is well dug in. There is no EW equipments or units. There are certain doctrine trying to emulate EW but fails the concept of EW miserably. I would conclude this game being categorized as WWII wargame, which is a shame. CC, MOW or other tactical wargame simulating games truly deserve the title of wargames. Its machinery and algorithm for simulation is too simple by using purely RNG most of the time rather than adopting certain statistical profile for some weapon system. Or they do not understand how to simulate the modern weapon systems properly. Btw, coh and coh2 is more or less another version of SC basically.
16 Dec 2014, 19:38 PM

They are busy having interviews and making overpriced DLCs while the community keeps the game alive and advertised ^^

On topic: I say they think the game is balanced for e-sport, but if it's true I'd rather play chess considering how awful their balance and "Inner Circle of Alpha Blessed Testers" are.... :/
16 Dec 2014, 19:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 19:30 PMzasdzcc
I do not think expecting the truly balanced patch anytime from relic is a good idea. Let's be frank about relic's incapacity of understanding how the war being conducted. There is no sense of joint operation or even combined arms most of time but spams is encouraged significantly without any penalty. Blobbing units is not suffering heavily from artillery or mortar or they simply encourage blobbing in 1v1 or 2v2. They designed the game not based upon real tactics but their imagination and one unit runs thru open area without heavy suffering when opponent is well dug in. There is no EW equipments or units. There are certain doctrine trying to emulate EW but fails the concept of EW miserably. I would conclude this game being categorized as WWII wargame, which is a shame. CC, MOW or other tactical wargame simulating games truly deserve the title of wargames. Its machinery and algorithm for simulation is too simple by using purely RNG most of the time rather than adopting certain statistical profile for some weapon system. Or they do not understand how to simulate the modern weapon systems properly. Btw, coh and coh2 is more or less another version of SC basically.

No game will ever simulate war accurately, its an over zealous expectation of game producers. Once you understand this then you can start enjoying gameplay (even if right now some things such as blobbing exist)
16 Dec 2014, 19:39 PM

They are busy having interviews and making overpriced DLCs while the community keeps the game alive and advertised ^^

On topic: I say they think the game is balanced for e-sport, but if it's true I'd rather play chess considering how awful their balance and "Inner Circle of Alpha Blessed Testers" are.... :/

The inner circle of alpha testers do what they are supposed to do, but its a 50/50 shot as to whether or not they get listened too
16 Dec 2014, 19:45 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

They are probably spending their time thinking new and innovative bugs to put in the game.

I bet they are not -but I understand the cyncism :D
16 Dec 2014, 19:50 PM

No game will ever simulate war accurately, its an over zealous expectation of game producers. Once you understand this then you can start enjoying gameplay (even if right now some things such as blobbing exist)

Did I say I want to simulate the war accurately? Almost everything is stochastic if you understand what does it mean by stochasticity. In the operational level warfare, there are certain class of models which model things relatively well. There are certain class of models which model the tactical level well. If you understand the two I mentioned before, you will see my point. Do you want to walk yourself thru bullet? If so, go relic way. What you are saying is not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is common sense. Check Command Naval/Air operations and this is a joint tactical or maybe even operational level wargame. You will see what is your mere understanding of war simulation or basically you are talking nonsense. And that is just a commercial game far better than relic's coh and coh2 to be frank.
16 Dec 2014, 20:28 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2014, 19:50 PMzasdzcc

Did I say I want to simulate the war accurately? Almost everything is stochastic if you understand what does it mean by stochasticity. In the operational level warfare, there are certain class of models which model things relatively well. There are certain class of models which model the tactical level well. If you understand the two I mentioned before, you will see my point. Do you want to walk yourself thru bullet? If so, go relic way. What you are saying is not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is common sense. Check Command Naval/Air operations and this is a joint tactical or maybe even operational level wargame. You will see what is your mere understanding of war simulation or basically you are talking nonsense. And that is just a commercial game far better than relic's coh and coh2 to be frank.

Going to serious for Coh would be brutal and tbh rather boring in terms of strats (solvs just thro cons into germs till they gain a foothold)

I think relic needs a balance patch and should really focus on it. The community has adopted the new meta's of the previous large patch and has shown that there needs to me more fixes implemented. As regards to the Alpha team, I feel as though they are along for the ride and its a hand toss if they are listened too.
The latest cover patch did fix a lot of the issues but it still needs tweaked, the performance update they did added FPS but introduced HUGE lag spikes that negate it, and blobbing as a meta is still rewarded. Relic has a lot more on their plate than worrying about if the game is authentic.
17 Dec 2014, 04:42 AM
Patrion 28

in this thread:

attempt by community member to console other pissed of members with little actual information backfires badly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★