Login

russian armor

NEW PC RESTARTING BUG - Yes, you read that right

13 Dec 2014, 08:40 AM

Ok, so as the title says, was doing some 3v3's with some friends and all of a sudden, my PC restarts out of the blue. No error message, no hard-locking, nothing. It was as if the restart button was clicked (which it certainly wasn't).

I get back in game, have an error-free game, move on the the next game, and as we are loading one of my teammates has the same bug, except he mentioned a crash + the installing bug before his PC restarted. A few minutes into the game, my other teammate gets the restart as well.

Has anyone else experienced this since the latest patch?

Has anybody seen this restart bug before or after the last patch? if so, did you notice any bugsplats/other errors before your PC restarted?
13 Dec 2014, 08:43 AM

I was one of the team mates mentioned in the OP, never had this bug before but it was strange as all hell. Hope this doesn't happen to more people it is fixed soon
13 Dec 2014, 08:50 AM
Donator 11

Have you considered some hardware issue?
13 Dec 2014, 08:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. There's no way I could see this as a software bug since programming a computer to restart is something you pretty much can't do on accident.

Lots of PC components shut the machine off if they overheat. A bad power supply can also be at fault.

Maybe the optimization patch is causing your PC to heat up more than before for some reason
13 Dec 2014, 09:12 AM

The issue is it happened to everyone on our team in relatively close together time wise. And it would need to be one hell of a coincidence for all our PC's to restart after the came closing so close together.
13 Dec 2014, 09:36 AM

^See above. I'm a PC technician by trade, and this is certainly not the first program I have seen this happen with. I've seen this happen with some obscure industrial software (which of course, took months to diagnose because of the rarity). IT IS the first time I have seen this in a game.

I thought too that it was a hardware problem on my end, but then it happened to 2 of my other team mates. the chances of the exact same thing happening to all 3 of us are one in a million. This is almost undoubtedly related to company of heroes 2.

Checked all my clock speeds/temp readings - all well below anything that would cause a hard restart.
13 Dec 2014, 09:43 AM
Donator 11

What are your temps on COH2 load?
What does the event logger say?
Have you guys installed some third party mod / software?
13 Dec 2014, 10:12 AM

Temperature are a good 40+ degrees being anywhere NEAR what would cause a Hard-restart on my system.No mods, latest version playing ranked automatch.

Only thing remotely related is CELO, and I'm not sure if my teammates were using that.

Just had a look over event logger. Looks like the Intel graphics software caused the Kernel to crash, which caused the reboot.

Alex and serious, do you guys both have Intel CPU's?
13 Dec 2014, 10:45 AM

turn off enery saving options in bios
13 Dec 2014, 10:51 AM
Donator 11

Temperature are a good 40+ degrees being anywhere NEAR what would cause a Hard-restart on my system.No mods, latest version playing ranked automatch.

Only thing remotely related is CELO, and I'm not sure if my teammates were using that.

Just had a look over event logger. Looks like the Intel graphics software caused the Kernel to crash, which caused the reboot.

Alex and serious, do you guys both have Intel CPU's?

40°C while ingame, or on idle? (edit: check temps for a whole game btw., for all components)
You run the game with your Intel HD? Ehm... why?

Also: seems like COH wasn't the issue after all.
13 Dec 2014, 19:59 PM

I do have Intel, and it might have been a overheating issue after all, still surprising to have it happen to all of us. That PC hardware issue RNG!
13 Dec 2014, 21:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 10:51 AMkamk

40°C while ingame, or on idle? (edit: check temps for a whole game btw., for all components)
You run the game with your Intel HD? Ehm... why?

Also: seems like COH wasn't the issue after all.

The game wouldn't even fucking launch on onboard graphics. And no, it is NOT running from onboard gfx, as it is turned off in the BIOS. As i said, temperatures are all well within safe ranges, for motherboard, graphics card and CPU. It's also one of the coldest days I've had here in months.

I did some really quick googling last night, it looks like this is a very common problem across quite a few titles, and YES, it does have something to do with the game causing the Intel HD graphics software to crash and hard-restart the PC - even when onboard graphics are not in use and Intel HD graphics drivers are disabled in Device manager.

Looks like this is caused by a software problem between Intel HD graphics software and Company of heroes 2.

Not sure if the fault lies within Intel HD graphics software or Coh2, but given the track record of both companies behind the software I know where I would channel my blame.
13 Dec 2014, 21:54 PM
Coder Red Badge

This is a hardware issue. If you're gonna get pissed about something, at least try to know what the fuck you're talking about.
13 Dec 2014, 21:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2014, 21:54 PMInverse
This is a hardware issue. If you're gonna get pissed about something, at least try to know what the fuck you're talking about.

Right, so it's an identical hardware issues that coincidentally happened to 3 people within the space of an hour all playing the same game, that have never had the same issue with any other games?

Read the thread before you make assumptions and post stupid shit.
14 Dec 2014, 01:32 AM
Patrion 28

the game will play on an HD4000, albeit with low resolution, shitty graphics, and some lag in blizzards.

if you want examples of random shit happening, all you have to do is play this game.

see if the restart generated a crash report though, if it did and they all say the same thing you could shoot them to intel and see what they have to say. don't give it to relic, they won't be very helpful.
14 Dec 2014, 01:54 AM

Could be 6 things : (Just do a quick check)

1) A GPU overheating problem,especially if the 40 temp was measure after the reboot. (Check if air exit the card properly)
2) One of the GPU power cable is not connected or power supply not enough powerful)
3) CPU fan badly installed. (not enough contact with cpu)
4) No thermal paste added between the fan and the CPU.
5) the main board is shorted or the gpu not pin down enough )
6) Memory stick badly installed (not in the right slot or not enough pin down)

I hope it help.
14 Dec 2014, 02:50 AM

just disable intel c-states
14 Dec 2014, 03:00 AM

to me it sounds like an overheating thing or a power supply going bad thing or something to that effect..

i actually had this problem a couple months ago. ordered a new power supply on newegg and now it doesnt happen anymore.
14 Dec 2014, 05:05 AM
Patrion 28

yeah, i had a 300$ PSU go bad. it looked like a GPU issue, and the BSOD report indicated it was, but it turned out to be the PSU. i spent 100$ on a GPU and another 100$ on a PSU before i figured it out and warrantied my PSU.
14 Dec 2014, 06:46 AM
Donator 22

if it is only Juan gettin restarts.........well, happens.

It this is really Juan AND his two teammates getting restarts as well simultaniously I would at least start watching this freaky beahoviour broadly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★