Login

russian armor

Luvnest's state of the game report

9 Dec 2014, 19:30 PM

Unreliable is the word I use for such a long time, and that's what makes the game (read - for me) so annoying from time to time.
Being able to count on certain things is a good thing, and CERTAIN (don't read all) rng destroys that.
9 Dec 2014, 19:33 PM
Donator 22

Nice summary
9 Dec 2014, 19:51 PM

Thank you guys for your feedback, I appreciate it.

First of all, Why does OKW has Flak emplacements in their base that counter any base inspection (such as light vehicles or even medium tanks) compared to any other faction. Why do they have anti air right from the start and on top of that, superb anti light vehicles capabilities. OKW Flak HQ aswell, it can take on even allied medium tanks.

My recon run lasts not more than one sweep before beeing shot down (and hopefully wipes a squad or two while doing so :snfPeter: )

OKW gets the flak emplacements in their base due to the way their base "construction" is designed. If they place their trucks inside the HQ, they need to be pretty safe - and if they place the trucks outside their base then that's the risk they take - but their HQ still needs to be safe as well - so I can see why they should be slightly stronger than other base defenses buuuuuuuuuuuuuut they're too strong. Rekting planes is unacceptable.

And yeah their T4 truck has waaaaay too much penetration. Probably too much overall damage in general. It really mucks up some maps where they can use it to lock down huge chunks with ease.
9 Dec 2014, 20:14 PM

Agree with all points. +1

9 Dec 2014, 20:17 PM

So, side armor = rear armor, right ? As in, there is no actual side armor value, it is just the same as rear value, or have I been completely wrong the whole time ?
9 Dec 2014, 20:35 PM
Benefactor 115

all vehicles are basically two hit boxes stuck together. Front box has front armour rating and rear box has rear armour rating. The size of the hit boxes can differ in distribution however.

the one on the right is what the elefant hitboxes are like and the one on the left is a regular medium tank.

This was the case in CoH1 as well.

Great post by the way.
9 Dec 2014, 20:52 PM

Agreed with all but the ISU/JT/Elephant point. I think it would be a shame to completely remove these units. The Elephant and JT are fine now in my opinion, removing them won't actually make the game that much better. Ostheer and OKW players will just go for the next best thing: Tiger Aces and King Tigers. Without the ISU152, Soviets will just go B4 or stop playing.
9 Dec 2014, 21:35 PM

Great post. The thing about flamethrowers has bugged me for awhile. It's one of those things that seems like it was meant to be "cool" but has a really crappy effect on gameplay. I'd be fine with the flamethrower still exploding if the last model in the squad dies, but otherwise no.

Reliable flame throwers would help ost a ton on building heavy maps, add a little dps to con strats that don't have ppshs and overall reduce rng cheese. I'm not sure if they're afraid of pio spam 2.0 but with no vet 2 armor bonuses on engis/pios and so many early light vehicles for all factions, I can't see pio spam being a thing again just because of a flamer change.
9 Dec 2014, 21:48 PM

In Blitzkrieg 2, game of 2003, there were: front, side, rear and top armor. Keep in mind, 2003 :lol:

1 of 2 Relic postsRelic 9 Dec 2014, 22:28 PM
Developer Relic Badge

I've passed this along :)
9 Dec 2014, 22:33 PM

In Blitzkrieg 2, game of 2003, there were: front, side, rear and top armor. Keep in mind, 2003 :lol:

Best game which I have already play <444>3
9 Dec 2014, 22:36 PM

the one on the right is what the elefant hitboxes are like and the one on the left is a regular medium tank.

Thanks for the details IpKai, never knew armor distribution could differ between tanks. Does most armor follow the Medium Tank distribution model, or is the Elefant the big exception?

I'd like to address the change that when throwing a Grenade, the whole squad stops instead of just the model who's about to throw it. That changed with some update, I prefered the previous way to do it.

God I'd love to see that grenade change reverted, it felt great to have one man stop to throw while the rest approached to engage, and it's sorely missed.

Units not getting into house properly, they stand right in front of it sometimes but only go in if you order them again.

I thought I was crazy because I never saw anyone else complain about this but it happens to me several times per game. Squads regularly end up right behind the building instead of inside it, not cool.

Encouraging news Cynthia, thanks. Nice post Luvnest.

9 Dec 2014, 23:01 PM
Benefactor 115

Thanks for the details IpKai, never knew armor distribution could differ between tanks. Does most armor follow the Medium Tank distribution model, or is the Elefant the big exception?

most vehicles are actually more like the elefant.
9 Dec 2014, 23:21 PM

Don't forget that units only fire at a 90 degree arc infront of them now:

Previously, it was 180 degrees, but it got ninja-changed in WFA, I assume it was unintentional.
9 Dec 2014, 23:28 PM

most vehicles are actually more like the elefant.

Okay, maybe there should be some "side armor" adjustments... A larger rear armor hitbox might make flanking more attractive.
9 Dec 2014, 23:35 PM

Appreciated but, don't just pass it along, shove it in their faces and force them to read it for once, as sometimes it feels we get ignored or "half" listened to. =D
9 Dec 2014, 23:54 PM

Appreciated but, don't just pass it along, shove it in their faces and force them to read it for once, as sometimes it feels we get ignored or "half" listened to. =D

Relic is a company, and unfortunately the problem with being a company means there are a lot of people doing a lot of different things, and shit just gets lost in the messy bureaucracy.
10 Dec 2014, 00:22 AM

I think youre completely right about the game needing to reduce the amount of stuff that is just "random" and turn it into predictable events that you can expect to happen. a lot of the other stuff is kind of off the mark though..

i dont see any issue with repair vehicle crit USF vehicles are quite lightly armored and easy to blow up (espeically considering how much pentration and damage a panzershrek does!). Being hard to pin is an important balancing factor that allows usf tanks to stay alive (whereas german tanks have lots of armor and can stay alive that way). Oh and the USF bazookas tend to not penetrate or they just miss.

Canister shot wipes entire squads sometimes, but so do a lot of other units. I see no reason to single out canister shot. Rifle grenades for instance will very often wipe entire squads. the core issue has to do with the fact that infantry now prefer to bunch up in to cover.

heavy call ins are too common, but they can be fixed IMO. there needs to be more risk involved with them, and they need to change them so theyre not just universal heavy tanks that are good in all situations, and change it so there is no viable strategy of JUST using tank call ins.

theres nothing wrong with the flamethrowers bursting "randomly". It's a deliberate risk you make when sending flame throwers out in the open and allow them to be focused on. It doesnt make sense that USF flame throwers burst more often than other flame throwers though.

RNG planes being shot down. not an issue on its own, but it needs to be possible to directly choose their flight path, You should be able to choose the flight path such that if they were to be shot down that it wouldnt be cause mass carnage. I could have sworn a few patches ago they stated that they were making this change with air call ins, but many airplane abilities do not allow you to choose the direction of the plane.

10 Dec 2014, 00:25 AM

Oh yes and another thing, Veterancy should probably be looked at on a larger scale than mentioned, I feel it's not properly balanced. For example, a Vet 3 T-34/76 just moves and shoots a bit faster, while a Vet 2 Panzer IV gets a significant survivability bonus. On the other hand, a Vet 2 Panther gets an huge survivability buff by getting 960 health. The Vet bonuses are all fairly good, but in the end the Panzer IV and Panther have significantly better Veterancy thanks to the durability bonuses.
10 Dec 2014, 01:12 AM

Great post Luvnest

Stalin thanks you.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak