Login

russian armor

Suggestions against USF (replay included)

8 Dec 2014, 21:43 PM

Hello all, this is my first post to Coh2.org!

I've been lurking this site for a while now, and I'd like to start posting more.

Anyways, I did my first 1v1 in ranked as Ostheer today. I normally play OKW, so my Ostheer experience is rather low. However, I like to think of myself as an ok player, enough to understand the basics of each army at hand.

I made a lot of mistakes in retrospect against this USF player, but his Zook blobs really caught me off guard, and I was having a hard time countering without reliable Stuka drops.

Does anyone have any tips against Jackson/Zook blobs? I feel like both my tigers were demolished before getting a chance, partly due to my error of attacking the same way each time...I just couldnt get to his Tank Hunters at all.

I'm also not entirely sure of the effectiveness yet on the Assault grens, they seem decent but the grenade assault is nothing compared to CoH 1.

TL;DR anti armor took out all my units and shifted the tide in his favor.

Critiques and suggestions are welcome, and thank you for checking my post- http://www.coh2.org/replay/28002/1v1-ost-vs-usf
9 Dec 2014, 11:23 AM
Patrion 14

Hello all, this is my first post to Coh2.org!

I've been lurking this site for a while now, and I'd like to start posting more.

Anyways, I did my first 1v1 in ranked as Ostheer today. I normally play OKW, so my Ostheer experience is rather low. However, I like to think of myself as an ok player, enough to understand the basics of each army at hand.

I made a lot of mistakes in retrospect against this USF player, but his Zook blobs really caught me off guard, and I was having a hard time countering without reliable Stuka drops.

Does anyone have any tips against Jackson/Zook blobs? I feel like both my tigers were demolished before getting a chance, partly due to my error of attacking the same way each time...I just couldnt get to his Tank Hunters at all.

I'm also not entirely sure of the effectiveness yet on the Assault grens, they seem decent but the grenade assault is nothing compared to CoH 1.

TL;DR anti armor took out all my units and shifted the tide in his favor.

Critiques and suggestions are welcome, and thank you for checking my post- http://www.coh2.org/replay/28002/1v1-ost-vs-usf

Hi there, the USF vs. Ostheer matchup is a very interesting one that requires many different strategies from the regular OST/Sov matchup. In terms of the replay, I think that the biggest mistake that you made was deciding to holdout for the tiger. P4s are just as effective vs. infantry, and still deflect zookas with ease. P4s are about as heavy as you need to go vs. USF, and p4s supported by paks will win any engagement. In terms of his ooka ball, I believe that investing in gren lmgs more would have helped, and 2 mg42s would have worke even better ince you knew which direction he was going to come from. By investing in bazookas, the USF player greatly reduced his anti-inf firepower, and you should have relied on the superiority of your own infantry and support weapons to defeat him.
9 Dec 2014, 19:15 PM

Hi there, the USF vs. Ostheer matchup is a very interesting one that requires many different strategies from the regular OST/Sov matchup. In terms of the replay, I think that the biggest mistake that you made was deciding to holdout for the tiger. P4s are just as effective vs. infantry, and still deflect zookas with ease. P4s are about as heavy as you need to go vs. USF, and p4s supported by paks will win any engagement. In terms of his ooka ball, I believe that investing in gren lmgs more would have helped, and 2 mg42s would have worke even better ince you knew which direction he was going to come from. By investing in bazookas, the USF player greatly reduced his anti-inf firepower, and you should have relied on the superiority of your own infantry and support weapons to defeat him.

Good information, I was unaware of the p4s capability against armor. I cost myself a lot of my economy trying to take his aa with my own armor, and the call in barrage was def not done very well, probably would have worked better on static emplacements. I can see how much he invested in aa now that I probably could have swarmed him down with pgrens, grens, and mg42s.

Are pgrens mainly just meant for AA? They don't seem to fit their role of elite trooper, especially not compared to obersoldaten or vgrens vet 5'd.
10 Dec 2014, 09:24 AM
Patrion 14

Good information, I was unaware of the p4s capability against armor. I cost myself a lot of my economy trying to take his aa with my own armor, and the call in barrage was def not done very well, probably would have worked better on static emplacements. I can see how much he invested in aa now that I probably could have swarmed him down with pgrens, grens, and mg42s.

Are pgrens mainly just meant for AA? They don't seem to fit their role of elite trooper, especially not compared to obersoldaten or vgrens vet 5'd.

Pgrens are supporting infantry, non-upgraded squads shine at mid range. This means that you shouldn't be closing the distance with them, pgrens are mainly flanking squads when used on the offense. Pgrens only have 4 models, so don't expect them to survive a lot of damage.

If you are using 2 mg42s, a pgren squad can be great to keep in cover nearby to discourage enemy assaults. A conscript hoorah -> molotoving an mg42 can be cut down in moments by a pgren squad.

Upgraded prens are similarly also cover squads, except that they are almost useless on assaults. keep them on the flank of a pak40 to punish enemy armor that tries to circle strafe.

The main thing about pgrens is that you don't want them to be shot at. Minimize the risk to them by keeping them in cover.

As a general rule, you never want to have more than 2 pgren squads as they are expensive to reinforce. usually 1 will suffice.
11 Dec 2014, 17:11 PM

HMG + PAK + LMG gren + PGs are the core of ostheer play.
I also struggled a bit when i started ostheer as i was a US faction only player.

My fav tactic is to place Smine on the path to fuel/critical points and put a HMG overlooking it. and i use my other HMG with 3 Grens to capture and hold other locations this works out at low to mid level players vs both soviets and US.

Panzer4 is good but dont get more than 1 vs US as a jackson is pretty deadly to P4.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★