Login

russian armor

Idea for a small mod. Is this possible?

5 Dec 2014, 14:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Hey there!

Yesterday I tried out the official modding tools for the first time. Just playing around, editing some unit attributes etc., no problem. Then I had a little idea: I'd like to change all commander abilities that call in units into passive abilities that allow the player to build the unit in one of the base buildings, so that, for example, as Ostheer, you can't just instantly call in an Elefant or Tiger from off-map, but have to build it in T4, like a Panther. CP requirements and resource costs should stay the same for now. If I'm not totally mistaken, it was like this back in Alpha, and, with some tweaking, it might play nicely.
Anyway, as I don't really know my way around modding yet: Is this possible at the moment? And, if so, how should I start? I did look through all the attributes and adding new units to the base buildings seems to be easy, but I couldn't figure out how to only give these units to certain commanders, etc. yet.

Thanks for the help!
5 Dec 2014, 14:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Yes, you can do that. Cruzz has done that, among other things, in the Kappatch mod.
6 Dec 2014, 08:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

and welcome :)
6 Dec 2014, 19:41 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Thanks, Romeo! Been reading for a while, but never really had something meaningful to contribute :D

I checked out Cruzz's mod, and what he did with the Easy Eight call-in is similar to what I had in mind. Modifying the commander ability would be a start, but the hard part would probably be changing the base buildings to include call-in units - but only for certain commanders and only once the player has enough CP. Thanks for the info, computerheat!
7 Dec 2014, 06:05 AM

I checked out Cruzz's mod, and what he did with the Easy Eight call-in is similar to what I had in mind. Modifying the commander ability would be a start, but the hard part would probably be changing the base buildings to include call-in units - but only for certain commanders and only once the player has enough CP. Thanks for the info, computerheat!

I've got a half-finished mod that lets you build call-ins. Part of the reason it's half-finished is because I want to make them all more expensive in resources and minimum CP than the call-in version, to keep the choice of commanders somewhat meaningful, and I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Adding new units to base buildings is easy - look at the building's ebps' spawner_ext per the earlier suggestion. Change CP in the squad's sbps' squad_requirement_ext.

To enable only for certain commanders, the only way I know of is a little more complex. Find out which of the commander's abilities enables the call-in, then add that as a prereq in the squad's squad_requirement_ext.
8 Dec 2014, 20:11 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Thanks a lot, it works exactly as planned now. Actually, adding the units to the respective building's spawner_ext was enough, because the commander abilities are already in the units' squad_requirement_ext. I just had to remove everything from the dispatch abilities' start_target_actions in order to make it impossible to call in the units like before.

Since you are working on something similar, and it probably would've taken me a lot longer to figure this out: Would you mind me posting the mod on the workshop once it's finished?
9 Dec 2014, 02:02 AM

Since you are working on something similar, and it probably would've taken me a lot longer to figure this out: Would you mind me posting the mod on the workshop once it's finished?

I can post it on Steam now, and make it private. If you're on Steam, send a friend invite to Trigg and I'll set it up so you can see it.
9 Dec 2014, 12:14 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

That's not what I meant. My English is kinda awkward, sorry :D To clear that up:

I have almost finished my own mod now. But since our mods are rather similar, I just wanted to know whether it would be alright with you if I posted my version on the workshop soon. After all, you did have the idea first and you also helped me out a lot.

Anyway, most of the units work as intended now. Just fiddling around with some details and then I'll be done! Again, thanks for your help.
9 Dec 2014, 21:55 PM

Sorry, I misread your sentence.

Go ahead and post it. I don't 'own' any of these ideas.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49
Germany 13
Korea, Republic Of 1
Germany 44

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %