Login

russian armor

Marketing the Mumble Server

19 Jan 2015, 09:20 AM

I just wanted to open up discussions on this again as I'm in favour of having it added to the site. As I understand it's quite possible to get a mumble status attached to the site, I have more experience with doing it for TS3 servers though so my understanding is limited here. The question becomes what resources wouldn't permit such a widget to be added?
19 Jan 2015, 09:37 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The issue has been and will always be one of performance. We are incrementing coh2.org server power gradually as the traffic grows. Right now, the site has become very slow as we frequently have 140+ users online. We are doubling the RAM in the next few days to see if that improves the speed. If it doesn't, we may need to upgrade to a beefier/costlier server.

I don't like the idea of the site becoming any slower because there are also 20-30 users on mumble. Promoting mumble is something we can do when we have plenty of overhead on server power, and right now that's not the case. That's why we intentionally don't go advertising our mumble. It might be a possibility in the future if we step up the server power again, or if we arrange a way to take donations or something to support it.
19 Jan 2015, 09:54 AM

Ahh I see, I was of the mind that the server was beefier as you put it. I totally agree with you on this, best to wait.

If 'donations or something' are being considered towards mumble/TS server. Would it not also be worth considering having the mumble hosted form a dedicated server to help reduce server load? Which would also loosen up the wallet, especially if donations or something else were introduced.

NOTE: Please forgive my persistence on the matter, it's just that I hate typing in game. :D
19 Jan 2015, 13:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge

Ahh I see, I was of the mind that the server was beefier as you put it. I totally agree with you on this, best to wait.

If 'donations or something' are being considered towards mumble/TS server. Would it not also be worth considering having the mumble hosted form a dedicated server to help reduce server load? Which would also loosen up the wallet, especially if donations or something else were introduced.

NOTE: Please forgive my persistence on the matter, it's just that I hate typing in game. :D

steam has a voicechat service as well as skype either way if playing with randoms probably won't have time to get on vc during game.
19 Jan 2015, 14:23 PM

Yeah I agree with you on that, but it would be cool for organized games, teams and other such stuff, like I say I think it would be a good idea for the future. Though not a necessary thing.
19 Jan 2015, 17:25 PM

thanks for the update ami!
19 Jan 2015, 22:22 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

A separate server just for mumble is a possibility, but arranging to pay for it and maintain an admin team takes a bit of effort and it isn't anything we as founders of this site are interested in spending time doing. Another possibility is that we just bite the bullet and get a much more powerful server, which we may need to do again in the near future if things keep growing steadily as they have been.

It's there, use it. Invite people to join you in it. You'll need to accept the new certificate key after todays server swap, but it should be working fine again. We just don't want to plaster it all over the front page just yet.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★