Login

russian armor

4 things that would make CoH2 instantly better

PAGES (19)down
Raz
25 Apr 2013, 06:50 AM

what do you mean by casuals?

People that usually don't play competative, and when they do if they get steamrolled by a better player that don't invest time because it's too punishing. So for this they gave the manpower punishment for a better player, if you play better and really push the weaker player now still has a chance to come back, and he has this chance not because he might have the skill but because the system is set up this way.

Raz
25 Apr 2013, 06:52 AM

Surely if casuals are the focus then there wouldn't be a major sacrifice by listening to the interest of competitive players? Casuals usually complain about the same things we do.

In the beginning it was OP mortars, halftracks with flamers etc...

All we are doing now is seeing the problems early before the inexperienced do. I can guarentee eventually people will start to say the same things, if they haven't already. Unless we are talking about the Comp stompers, which will always want OP stuff...

I'm not talking about ballance issues, but the game mechanics in general. The manpower, the cut off mechanics, those punish players that are bad at game and reward those that are good at it. That's the opposite what should be in a game that wants to be a competative arena.
25 Apr 2013, 07:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 06:52 AMRaz

I'm not talking about ballance issues, but the game mechanics in general. The manpower, the cut off mechanics, those punish players that are bad at game and reward those that are good at it. That's the opposite what should be in a game that wants to be a competative arena.

God forbid the game should encourage people to get better.
25 Apr 2013, 07:11 AM

I think, they won't fix these things although won't take much for them to change it but lets hope.
Raz
25 Apr 2013, 07:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 07:07 AMTommy

God forbid the game should encourage people to get better.

I'm not against that at all. But the playing field should be level to all imo. I'm not even a good player imo, more like average, but I prefer getting rewards for getting better, not being handicaped by the system that is in place to cater the unskilled ones just because there are more of them.

To be honest it's not only coh2 problem, I feel that most of the games that come out now are dumbed down versions compared to the games of the past and this trend is just getting stronger. You get more graphical details and more effects sort of bigger "WOW" factor, but skill required to play them just gets lower and lower. But that's just my opinion.
25 Apr 2013, 07:28 AM

Pretty much agreed in what you're saying.
Especially the fourth one. the same goes for Main Gun destroy at 100% health.
The tank will simply be too easy to destroy for other opponents tanks when they can't do anything against them.
You always need more tanks or more infantry backup near the tanks nowdays in case of immobilizations or Main Gun destroy. And the only pio you probably have on the field CAN NOT be at the other side of the map, you basically just have to babysit the tank since it's not worth the risk.
Those are the biggest issues in the gameplay so far in my opinion.
25 Apr 2013, 07:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 07:24 AMRaz

I'm not against that at all. But the playing field should be level to all imo. I'm not even a good player imo, more like average, but I prefer getting rewards for getting better, not being handicaped by the system that is in place to cater the unskilled ones just because there are more of them.

To be honest it's not only coh2 problem, I feel that most of the games that come out now are dumbed down versions compared to the games of the past and this trend is just getting stronger. You get more graphical details and more effects sort of bigger "WOW" factor, but skill required to play them just gets lower and lower. But that's just my opinion.

Well, yeah, I mean I agree with you- but in the previous post I thought you were saying that bad players are punished and good players are rewarded, and that's the opposite of how it should be?
Raz
25 Apr 2013, 07:40 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 07:38 AMTommy

Well, yeah, I mean I agree with you- but in the previous post I thought you were saying that bad players are punished and good players are rewarded, and that's the opposite of how it should be?

Haha, I meant the opposite, it was kind of a typo, just with whole words in a sentence :D I meant that now it punishes playing good(or doesn't reward enough) and rewards playing bad(or doesn't punish enough) and for competative play it shouldn't be like that.
25 Apr 2013, 07:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 07:40 AMRaz

Haha, I meant the opposite, it was kind of a typo, just with whole words in a sentence :D I meant that now it punishes playing good(or doesn't reward enough) and rewards playing bad(or doesn't punish enough) and for competative play it shouldn't be like that.

Ahh now that makes a lot more sense! In that case I agree with everything :P
Hux
25 Apr 2013, 08:18 AM
Patrion 14

This new 'punishing good play/ rewarding bad play' issue seems to be a residual problem from the original CoH to me. When I first started playing the game competitively I was mercilessly destroyed in the first 20 or so games, and didn't play online for a couple of years later until i stumbled onto GR. then it was more accessible to me (not that I'm that good of a player.)

But the problem was there was no information available through the game that taught you the necessary gameplay mechanics needed for anything else other than the campaign. You had to go elsewhere to learn it, and I think this is the reason we are experiencing these wierd balancing mechanics.

It seems like a pretty poor solution to a very big problem to me. I'm aware that we got 5 or so video tutorials now (thanks for that) but what's to stop relic from linking to the community (strat talks and new BO's) when you log into the multiplayer lobby?? That would begin to educate a lot more people really quickly and would probably raise the bar for average standard of players as well as teach new players what to expect (possibilities) from their opponents and fundamental gameplay mechanics. this same system could also be used to showcase tourneys to the whole playerbase as well..

If they had this they could do away with this wierd 'comeback' system and put everyone on a level playing field.
25 Apr 2013, 08:40 AM

The one thing that I can't understand is why they had to change almost every mechanic in the game. They worked very well in CoH1 and is the reason why most of us are still playing it.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

There's always room for improvement. For example, you can say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but if you don't change an air and oil filter, you're gonna blow up a motor. That said, coh2 feels like they did so much good things at the very small level, (i.e. jumping fences) and then mucked up the entire gameplay of the game. :/
25 Apr 2013, 08:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 08:18 AMHux
This new 'punishing good play/ rewarding bad play' issue seems to be a residual problem from the original CoH to me. When I first started playing the game competitively I was mercilessly destroyed in the first 20 or so games, and didn't play online for a couple of years later until i stumbled onto GR. then it was more accessible to me (not that I'm that good of a player.)

But the problem was there was no information available through the game that taught you the necessary gameplay mechanics needed for anything else other than the campaign. You had to go elsewhere to learn it, and I think this is the reason we are experiencing these wierd balancing mechanics.

It seems like a pretty poor solution to a very big problem to me. I'm aware that we got 5 or so video tutorials now (thanks for that) but what's to stop relic from linking to the community (strat talks and new BO's) when you log into the multiplayer lobby?? That would begin to educate a lot more people really quickly and would probably raise the bar for average standard of players as well as teach new players what to expect (possibilities) from their opponents and fundamental gameplay mechanics. this same system could also be used to showcase tourneys to the whole playerbase as well..

If they had this they could do away with this wierd 'comeback' system and put everyone on a level playing field.

The comeback system is a good idea, it's just more powerful than it should be. Fixing it requires tweaking numbers more than anything.

I agree that Relic should be promoting community content more than they are. Heroes of Newerth was a game that always showed a livestream on the front page for you to watch, and League of Legends gives you the option to watch 5 unique mid to high-level games. Even watching games helps players get better, and most players won't take the time to download and watch a replay by themselves.
25 Apr 2013, 13:48 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet, but its a pretty damn huge one. Gren/Scripts AT abilities' animations can not be dodged. Once you come within the range, don't even bother trying to reverse out because if he is fast on his hotkeys you will still get naded/fausted even if you manage reverse across the screen before he throws it.

Totally agreed
25 Apr 2013, 14:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 08:40 AMEsky

There's always room for improvement. For example, you can say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but if you don't change an air and oil filter, you're gonna blow up a motor. That said, coh2 feels like they did so much good things at the very small level, (i.e. jumping fences) and then mucked up the entire gameplay of the game. :/

Indeed, there's always room for improvment. But game mechanics dosen't need adjustments if it's working fine already. They don't get bad just because time passes by like a car engine does. Assuming the game mechanics works as they should and the majority of players like them. Now why didn't they use the game mechanics as they work in CoH1 in CoH2 and later on adding more features upon them?
25 Apr 2013, 16:06 PM

think they would learn after OF disaster.

COH 2 = OF 2.

So desperate for change they break what makes COH so great.
Hux
25 Apr 2013, 16:07 PM
Patrion 14

The comeback system is a good idea, it's just more powerful than it should be. Fixing it requires tweaking numbers more than anything.

I agree that Relic should be promoting community content more than they are. Heroes of Newerth was a game that always showed a livestream on the front page for you to watch, and League of Legends gives you the option to watch 5 unique mid to high-level games. Even watching games helps players get better, and most players won't take the time to download and watch a replay by themselves.

I agree with you 100% on both points.

I gotta admit I personally like the comeback mechanic (at least on paper), there was nothing worse than losing the early game in Coh and have to just ride the rest of the game out knowing you weren't gunna win. But I guess the issue that is raised from the existence of the comeback mechanic in it's current form is how good 'good' players actually are if they make a comeback and win a game with the game mechanics tilted in their favour...

Ideally I would like to see them tone down the effect of it, like you said, and to compensate there should be more information readily available in game to allow newer/'worse' players to close the gulf with good players based on their own knowledge of the game.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Apr 2013, 16:06 PMHeathen
think they would learn after OF disaster.

COH 2 = OF 2.

So desperate for change they break what makes COH so great.

It's not that bad... The worst thing about OF was that it pissed all over the otherwise delicious chips that were VCoh. I think if they are smart about how they approach the next 2 months and the games development they could have a nice game that is worth playing. Those will probably be famous last words but fuck it.
26 Apr 2013, 00:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2013, 17:06 PMTommy

You can't just slap in an observer mode and call it a day, saying CoH2 is going to be some kind of a mystical 'esport'. It has to be competitive first, and satisfying second. Right now it's neither, and if it came out today, I wouldn't buy it.

I agree with you, I'm not paying $60 for this, I'm sure it will drop in price pretty quickly.

I hope I don't get banned for saying this, because I've seen other's get banned for making similar posts.

I may wait til it drops to $20...I only paid a $1 for COH1 and all of the expansions combined and from what I've seen COH1 is much than COH2, I just can't see wasting that kind of money.

26 Apr 2013, 01:10 AM

Seriously, why do you even post here.
26 Apr 2013, 01:24 AM

I really enjoy COH1 ... I'm hoping COH2 gets fixed as the OP suggests
PAGES (19)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 46
Germany 33

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias