Login

russian armor

Tiger Ace

3 Dec 2014, 20:52 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

It's been a while since this unit was discussed. I'm adding it to the issue tracker here because I still believe that it's heavily flawed. In large team games I think it gives you a severe disadvantage, and in 1v1s it can win games as soon as it hits the field. Please take a minute to vote and comment and I'd also like to hear others' thoughts on it.
3 Dec 2014, 20:54 PM

Personally i think the tiger ace is downright broken.

If you are behind, it gives you a free chance to comeback

In an equal 1v1, it gives you a huge advantage

If you are winning, it is a nail in the coffin.

3 Dec 2014, 20:57 PM

The unit is fine, the mechanics surrounding it (no fuel cost, removal of penalty on death) are not.

A massive population cost could be an alternative to the resource penalty in general.
3 Dec 2014, 20:59 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I don't really think the unit is fine either. Target weak point is pretty OP as it is, even if you ignore the bug that also lets it fire twice in rapid succession. I can't believe they then put it on a tiger.
3 Dec 2014, 21:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2014, 20:59 PMRomeo
I don't really think the unit is fine either. Target weak point is pretty OP as it is, even if you ignore the bug that also lets it fire twice in rapid succession. I can't believe they then put it on a tiger.

I've never been able to produce that bug with TWP, only Concrete / AP round, or with Barrage abilities.
3 Dec 2014, 21:07 PM
Patrion 28

if the TA get's nerfed significantly it should no longer be a single shot unit. it IS an incredibly powerful unit and could stand for a cost increase/readjustment, but i feel that most of that is represented in the single chance you get to use it. i think it's really more of an issue in smaller games as well because it represents a large amount of power relative to what's already on the field.
3 Dec 2014, 21:07 PM

I think the main issue is the fuel cost, make it cost slightly more than a regular tiger in terms of fuel and remove the resource penalty. It should still feel like an obvious choice though b/c its Fricken a tiger ace.

Its clear the main problem is the fact that the game is about map control and gaining resources but this unit laughs at that and says HA Map control is for noobs :snfBarton:
3 Dec 2014, 21:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Here's a clip of the tiger ace firing twice with target weak point

http://youtu.be/S-0_cMUTGdk?t=1h5m15s
3 Dec 2014, 21:18 PM

I don't play 1v1 but in 4v4 it's pretty weak.

It's not the firepower that is a problem but rather how weak it is against even a single well played Jackson.

Sure it is powerful but remember that you get pretty much zero fuel while it's in and manpower is almost shut down as well.

If anything it should be boosted not nerfed.
3 Dec 2014, 21:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The unit is fine, the mechanics surrounding it (no fuel cost, removal of penalty on death) are not.

3 Dec 2014, 21:25 PM

how come the unit is very powerful in 1v1, especially vs USF?
3 Dec 2014, 21:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Exactly Tivook. I guess I'm not really arguing for a nerf or a buff, just a change as well as some bug fixes.

There's less on the field that can reduce its initial shock value. The soviet AT gun has better penetration, and Mark Vehicle, T-34/85s, the IS-2 and ISU can all threaten it moderately well.

The USF AT gun can barely touch it, bazookas can barely touch it. The Jackson and M10 can combat it but they have to be used very defensively and in an even game this may not be an option. I lost a very close game vs Zoro aka "!!!!!!!!!" because he fielded a Tiger Ace and it was impossible for me to push after that point.

Easy Eight spam is very effective if you can get a third one out before it arrives.

The M20 mine is of course still disastrous if the Ace hits it. The P-47 is great too.
3 Dec 2014, 21:35 PM

Because its vet3 tiger tank against a faction with subpar AT.
3 Dec 2014, 21:40 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

And i think it's a bit faster but i'm not completely sure.
3 Dec 2014, 21:45 PM

When I see JT or KT it's like - Oh, garden!
When I see TA - Eee, meh, 2 SU-85s and it's gone.
But as USF I have to pick up airborne for P-47. If I don't have P47 it's probably gg.
3 Dec 2014, 22:28 PM

The game is in a good condition when threads like this arrive.
3 Dec 2014, 22:34 PM

For me the TA is ok. I realy like the unit, but it is always a huge gamble to go for it. It is not invincible and often it feels like my opponent just is not prepared for it, even if he complains the whole game that it will come. But I am ranked 1600 with the Ostheer. So I think it is a mistake from my opponents and not a balance problem. I haven't seen a TA on a stream/ from top ranked players for a long time.
3 Dec 2014, 22:56 PM

I typed up this really long response but than got bored and deleted it.

I leave you with this.

In large game modes I do not believe this doctrine can be fixed.
3 Dec 2014, 22:58 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

This thread is not about the elite troops doctrine in its entirety, just the tiger ace.
3 Dec 2014, 23:00 PM
Patrion 28

the tiger ace is a beast on any map without long firing lanes. lanzerath ambush and la gleize in the woods of both. it's stronger than a KT or IS2 because it's pretty quick, does a shit ton of damage at longer than engagement range, and the turret turns fast. jacksons are useless in that situation.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★