Login

russian armor

Realistic symbols/flags.

28 Nov 2014, 02:54 AM

Most simple solution would be to add on/off show swastikas options.

Laws censoring swastikas is good to keep neo nazi morons from wavering their dirty flags in public, but history is whole other thing. People should never forget what was done under Nazi flags, and, especially, certain SS insignias. Banning knowledge about them will only lead to ignorance, and then, probably, rehabilitation of those symbols (even if this process will take a lot of time). Some of you may say - but it is just a game. Well, yes, and from where do you think kids learn stuff? From reading? Pha!

28 Nov 2014, 03:10 AM

I don't think Relic will ever officially put these symbols in. Especailly with the uprising the first campaign within the Russian community, I doubt they want more bad publicity with regards to history and how they depict WW2.

Honestly I like the thought that I am playing as the a peoples army defending their way of life (OST/OKW) as opposed to some fighting force with fanatical ideals (Nazi/SS).

I think if you want these symbols either wait for a mod or take the initive and do it yourself. Not sure if it is possible as of yet though to edit unit skins/flags.
28 Nov 2014, 03:37 AM

Permanently Banned
Cant take a guy with "SS" in his name seriously.

im sorry
28 Nov 2014, 03:41 AM

TAB will have a sparkly Bear as its mascot. If we can't win via the guns we can win with the bling.
28 Nov 2014, 04:20 AM
Patrion 14

You need to justify why it isn't okay for a more serious game to portray WWII Germany accurately. Why can Schindler's List or Band of Brothers do it, but not Company of Heroes?

because you aren't controlling the nazis and killing allies in the movies. why is sex in movies ok, but why was the hidden "hot coffee" mod in GTA SA was such a scandal?

otherwise good points, i generally agree with you.

1. Stephen Fry would like a word with you: "It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?"

2. So you're saying that Swastikas(For historical authenticity sake) shouldn't be in CoH2 because there might be jewish people at Relic who might be offended? It's really quite ridiculous that just become someone is offended, that they should be given special privileges. In this case, it's determining what symbols, uniforms and etc can be crafted into the game.

3. I'd argue that games are an art and thus shouldn't be forced to conform to the poison that is political correctness or various laws the Germans have in place over in their fatherland.

4. Either way, the solution is very simple. For the Germans and Russians, they can have the censored version while free countries like Canada, the UK, the US and etc can have the uncensored version.

1. good quote, and venerable one. i would agree with the quote most of the time but not this time for one reason: too minor of an issue and we aren't discussing about swastika in a meaningful way, as in we are about to engage in thoughtful and intellectual debate. no, we are just arguing about whether to put this lousy offensive symbol in a game for what? to please a few who are obsessed to put in a game.

2. yes, ppl get offended by it for a very good reason. putting swastika in game won't advance society's acceptance towards swastika etc etc. again, too meaningless and trivial.

3. good point, but coh2 is about battling. it is not a game where it makes you ponder about atrocities of war or political aspects of the war etc etc.

4. or just not bother, because in every country, there would be at least some ppl offended by it so why bother? why bother to stir up emotions for no reason?

28 Nov 2014, 06:25 AM
Patrion 15

There is no need for it. There is also no need for you to use an Username like that.

If you want to remember history just go read some books and watch some documentaries.

I wouldn't like to play a game where someone has the possibility to play as the Nazi army instead of the German army. As you may know not every soldier in the German Army was a Nazi as much as people like to think so therefore there is no need to represent the German factions of the game as the Nazi factions.

Why would you ask for this to be added?

As an example, I'm from Spain and I would definetely not buy a game that had Francoist Spain flags on it. We have enough with streets named after murderers and monuments built in their honor still standing up in our country.

Nobody wants to play as a Nazi Army and if someone likes to do so then we have a problem here.

The swastika symbol and the toothbrush moustache will always remind of Nazism and Hitler.
28 Nov 2014, 07:21 AM

It's not just about the swastika thing. It's ridiculous to see a blue flag when you capture a point. At least add some details, like the German cross (the flat one which is painted on vehicles and command bunker, I don't know its name) or a simple star for soviets.
28 Nov 2014, 08:16 AM

By the way even in the area of scale modelling manufacturers are not allowed to sell German WWII model kits with svastikas decals on them in Germany. Many modellers - even German ones - who want to build historically accurate kits are pissed about this. But hey that's how it is. They have to paint these symbols themselves.
28 Nov 2014, 09:04 AM

Well, as far as I could see in this thread, people fail to reach a consensus because of some obvious fundamental issues:

- One thing we can agree all on it is that nobody in this thread approve or admire the nazi regime;

- But then, there are people who don't understand why the soviet symbols are ilustrated in the game, while they are representing an equal odious regime. As much as I agree to this opinion, I don't think the solution would be to add in the game even more detestable symbols;

- I must admit that actual historical accuracy it's a big tempation for me too, but then we have to consider that are laws that deny some symbols, people that can be offended (due to what happened to their families or countries). I actually think that such symbols could affect the game, as much I would like to see historical accuracy through symbols and unit names (like Waffen SS for instance).

So, as a conclusion, I don't think that such symbols would be introduced in the game. On the other hand, I don't think that is civilised to insult people who use whatever words in their nicknames. A nickname is a nickname, manny people may think that if they called themselves SS ..somehow , they would be scarrier for the enemy on the battlefield, or they will appear like some fearsome warriors or something. I don't think that these people are nazis, not by far. I actually think that if they see a gun, they will piss in their pants. :D
28 Nov 2014, 09:10 AM

A couple of things here.

First display of the swastika in video games in Germany is not actually against the law. The display of the swastika is allowed in the case of art and according to that article linked a few pages back:

Video games are also considered art, but this development occurred only very recently. Consequently, Nazi symbols are still not used in games released in Germany, probably due to developers worldwide being so accustomed to being unable to put them in the games, and thus voluntarily continuing the tradition of an utter lack of Nazi symbols themselves. It saves money to have only one version, avoids losing a market with over 80 million residents and if the game is online, it makes sure that the German version is compatible with that of the rest of the world.

That pretty much sums up why the swastika is never seen in video games: it's just easier to avoid using it altogether.

Second, outside of the flag the German armed forces didn't feature prominent use of the swastika iconography. As was pointed out in another post the swastika doesn't appear on any stock German tanks. It also only appears on the tail fin of some German planes. In both cases the cross is much more prominently displayed.

On front line infantry the swastika was typically only displayed on the national emblem pin and on officer hats. Both the pin and hat emblems are already depicted on uniforms in game where appropriate; just look at the artillery field officer. Even if relic had wanted to display a swastika on these emblems the size of the infantry models is so small and the resolution of their textures so low that any attempt to display such a tiny swastika would come off as just a round blob. For all we know Relic actually did make the emblem 100% accurate and the only thing keeping the forums from exploding in rage is the low resolution.

Simply put, outside of the tail fin of some off map planes seen for only a few seconds in some games, CoH2 already features a historically appropriate amount of swastikas.
28 Nov 2014, 09:24 AM
Patrion 14

- wrong post
28 Nov 2014, 12:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2014, 06:25 AMwillyto
There is no need for it. There is also no need for you to use an Username like that.

If you want to remember history just go read some books and watch some documentaries.

I wouldn't like to play a game where someone has the possibility to play as the Nazi army instead of the German army. As you may know not every soldier in the German Army was a Nazi as much as people like to think so therefore there is no need to represent the German factions of the game as the Nazi factions.

Why would you ask for this to be added?

As an example, I'm from Spain and I would definetely not buy a game that had Francoist Spain flags on it. We have enough with streets named after murderers and monuments built in their honor still standing up in our country.

Nobody wants to play as a Nazi Army and if someone likes to do so then we have a problem here.

The swastika symbol and the toothbrush moustache will always remind of Nazism and Hitler.

You completely wrong.
I like to play as a Nazi Army, and vs a Nazi Army,
It is a Brutal Part, but Part of History and we have to accept this.
Stalin killed Million russian people, Hitler killed Millions of jews, Churchill Bombed lots Civilians, Roosevelt nuked 2 Civil targets.
But this game only Shows How brutal War is, i have no problem to play with These factions, Its still a >game< about the great War and not a game where u murder Civilians or kill jews, or nuke towns

U unterstand what i mean?

28 Nov 2014, 15:03 PM
Donator 11

Nazism is about killing people, or even whole races.

lol
28 Nov 2014, 16:25 PM

what's next? a concentration camp?
28 Nov 2014, 16:40 PM

Patchnotes for december :

- Obersoldaten are now called SS ubermenschen

- added swastika all over menu and on all maps

P.S.: thanks community for these wonderful suggestions.

ppl pls, I want to have your problems FailFish
28 Nov 2014, 16:52 PM

Yeah, Army of Crosses. And what?
And also:

Why Relic just hypocriticaling history? Why Relic show us communists symbols when germans are forbidden? This is it simply an idiocy. Winston Churchill said many time ago: "History is written by the victros" and we have seen effects it.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2014, 16:25 PMNinjaWJ
what's next? a concentration camp?

It is already in game
28 Nov 2014, 16:58 PM

The soviets killed their own people and didn't follow POW laws at all. Probably killed more of their own than the nazis did all-in-all.

The US dropped a nuke on civilians twice.

The symbols of these nations are still OK to use anyway. Why?

Because the winners gets to decide what it should say in the history books, thats why.

Bunch of hypocrites, nothing more.
28 Nov 2014, 17:12 PM

Not come out from under the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUznJIswHqs
28 Nov 2014, 18:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2014, 16:58 PMTivook
The soviets killed their own people and didn't follow POW laws at all. Probably killed more of their own than the nazis did all-in-all.

In same reality where Stalin himself executed 7 million Russian cowards who refused to attack enemy lines with their bare hands per day. All with his legendary 7 round per cylinder Nagant revolver. Go read a book (and by book i mean something with basis of proven facts) before posting such outstanding nonsense.

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2014, 16:58 PMTivook
The US dropped a nuke on civilians twice.

First USA nukes were far less powerful then regular carpet bombings, which turned entire German cities into dust. Pro tip: crushing defeat of elite and most powerful Kwantung Army by Soviets was far more essential to Japaneese capitulation than nuclear bombing, which wasn't recognized as nuclear bombing at first anyway.

War is war and full of dirt no matter what, there is no clean sides. But, if you decided to dig in all this dirt, and even more — point on others dirt, make sure you have less dirt on your hands (or on hands of side which you defending) firs. Your example of evil Russkies who didn't follow POW laws (just to let you know: in bad shortage of supplies, primary food, starving Russians, including civilians still feed Germans prisoners) is nothing in shadow of crimes of SS fanatics, which alone justify banning of Nazi flag forever.
28 Nov 2014, 18:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Nov 2014, 18:11 PMJadame!

In same reality where Stalin himself executed 7 million Russian cowards who refused to attack enemy lines with their bare hands per day. All with his legendary 7 round per cylinder Nagant revolver. Go read a book (and by book i mean something with basis of proven facts) before posting such outstanding nonsense.

First USA nukes were far less powerful then regular carpet bombings, which turned entire German cities into dust. Pro tip: crushing defeat of elite and most powerful Kwantung Army by Soviets was far more essential to Japaneese capitulation than nuclear bombing, which wasn't recognized as nuclear bombing at first anyway.

War is war and full of dirt no matter what, there is no clean sides. But, if you decided to dig in all this dirt, and even more — point on others dirt, make sure you have less dirt on your hands (or on hands of side which you defending) firs. Your example of evil Russkies who didn't follow POW laws (just to let you know: in bad shortage of supplies, primary food, starving Russians, including civilians still feed Germans prisoners) is nothing in shadow of crimes of SS fanatics, which alone justify banning of Nazi flag forever.

I think you should go read a book that your comrad Putin haven't banned from Russian librarys.

The soviet leaders executed far more than just cowards. Religious people, POW's not to mention the insane abuse of civilians in Poland ( rape, murder, looting etc ). As I said, go read a book.

Also, what the nuke was called back then is irrelevant. They dropped it on civilians which is far worse than killing other soldiers in war.

Sure, the nazis exterminated jews, but civilians are civilians, doesn't matter if they live in Hiroshima or in Auschwitz.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 37
unknown 24
Mexico 18
unknown 4
Germany 877

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L