Login

russian armor

Civilization V

27 Nov 2014, 02:03 AM

Well, another Steam Sale hits the fan and soon the Christmas sale will be on. I'm an old Civ player (played every one from 1 to 4, Alpha Centauri and Call to Power), and after the initial impressions of the OLD, so OLD Apolyton community, I felt like sticking to Civ4.

As time proved past, good DLC can really get the game going, and I wonder - is it worth it now?

Personal objections to the new instalment (from reading others' impressions and seeing gameplays):

- 1-unit-per-tile strategic approach (not that the Stacks of Doom weren't an issue)
- Not-so-gamechanging wonders
- Lots of time dedicated to "next turn" buttonpushin

Pros that I heard about:

- It's beautiful
- Some later DLC really brought strategic depth (specially Brave New World, or so I heard)
- I can choose Brazil as a Civ

So, what do you guys think of it?

Cheers!
27 Nov 2014, 03:09 AM

Civ5 is the first I've played so I can't compare it to any of the previous Civ games, but I love it.
27 Nov 2014, 03:54 AM

ya I play it fairly regularly it is pretty good. Definitely different from Civ 4 in a big way, and all the expansions have fleshed it out a lot, definitely better then beyond earth atm.

Only complaint is with the last update you can only play multi-player games with pit boss, no turn timer, and either no barbs or no city states to get a stable game of 6 people.
I've played civ 2-6.
27 Nov 2014, 06:35 AM

If you buy it with all the dlc it's the best Civ game to date.
27 Nov 2014, 07:28 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I've also played all of the Civ games - except Beyond Earth - and I see Civ 5 like this. All the previous Civ games added more and more features and systems to the point where Civ4 either felt deep and complex, or bloated and weighed down by a bunch of crud that remained in the game because it had been in every previous iteration of the series.
Civ5 feels like a significant redesign and it's either more streamlined or, depending on your perspective, dumbed down. I like 5 quite a lot, although I think 4 is better. They're different enough that it's worth playing both, since you'll likely enjoy them equally for different reasons.

TLDR:
Get it. You're obviously a fan and will like it. It provides a different experience from Civ4.
11 Dec 2014, 00:44 AM
Donator 33

If you're competitive and at a high level it's by far the best civ game. For comp-stompers it's probably more a matter of taste.
I wasn't sure about 1UPT at first, but over time it's become apparent that it allowed the introduction of tactical combat to the series in a very rewarding way. Wonders... well turtling should be one viable option amongst many, and I would consider a few wonders to still be far too strong relative to their opportunity cost. And yeah you're right that the expansions are essential - not even worth playing without IMO.

It's important to mention that the game has been broken for a very long time. After a full year (!) of broken multiplayer they recently put out a patch that fixed some very basic exploits. Unfortunately this patch broke the game even more than it previously was in terms of stability, and they haven't even commented yet so it could be a few months (or realistically another year) before any fixes come through.

Relic not so bad.
11 Dec 2014, 19:36 PM

I love Civ V. It's one of my most played games in my Steam library. I highly recommend it, though I have barely played the previous games. What I can tell you is that it's a lot more polished and just flat out better than the lazy-ass Beyond Earth. Don't even bother with that game.
11 Dec 2014, 19:41 PM

just bought BNW expansion and it's great, adds a lot and seems like AI finally plays better, and I think that economy is more important than army
12 Dec 2014, 02:38 AM

Bought it. It is indeed beautiful and has a good, deep gameplay that I'd like to explore... If it weren't so difficult for my computer to make it go. I play mainly on a 2 y.o. laptop, so I guess I had it coming.

What rig do you recommend to play Civ AND CoH2? Any particular specs?

OBS: little words, keep it simple; treat my inteligence in this matter as a small, particularly clueless, child
12 Dec 2014, 06:28 AM

My 6850 maxes out Civ5 np and its a 4 year old mid range card. For CoH2 however you need a triple sli 980 tbh but it doesn't even have sli support so you're just fucked there.
12 Dec 2014, 06:56 AM
Donator 33

For civ a decent quad core and midrange graphics are fine. I'd go i5-4690 and 270x. Or better graphics as the budget allows.

The laptop issue is probably thermal constraints. On paper it'll have more power than civ needs but there are hardly any laptops on the market that can sustain 100% load without throttling down.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★