Login

russian armor

Leavers are ruining the game

24 Nov 2014, 23:09 PM

People who leave within 10 seconds or never load into the game really hurt my experience of the game. You are at a disadvantage right off the bat. It is difficult trying to win with an AI teammates, but the worst part is getting penalized for leaving the game AFTER your teammate drops within 10 seconds

Relic needs to fix this issue. Dota2 has a pretty good system where if someone leaves within 30 seconds or is afk for ~two minutes in the beginning of the game, the rest of the team can safely leave without having a loss recorded.

This is a really frustrating issue and i hope Relic can find a solution to this quickly
25 Nov 2014, 00:05 AM
Patrion 14

Leavers are frustrating in any game and really only Dota 2 has found a nice solution to this problem. Wile it would be nice if a similar system was in CoH2, it really isn't that necessary.

25 Nov 2014, 00:08 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

good suggestion
25 Nov 2014, 00:13 AM
Benefactor 355

For those of us who don't care about DOTA2, what happens there when a person leaves prematurely?
25 Nov 2014, 00:23 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

How dare they!
25 Nov 2014, 01:14 AM

For those of us who don't care about DOTA2, what happens there when a person leaves prematurely?

What u mean like never connects? If somoene never connects, it goes back to the lobby screen, if someone connects but does not pick their hero (aka enters the game), it counts as AFK, and you can safely leave
25 Nov 2014, 02:13 AM
Benefactor 355

So if one of your mates leave within X minutes, you can safely leave?
25 Nov 2014, 02:35 AM

So if one of your mates leave within X minutes, you can safely leave?

it is either afk for about 2 minutes i think, or straight up leave within something like 30 seconds.
25 Nov 2014, 03:23 AM

So you get matched vs a good team and one of you "afk" or "/leave" when the other one can "safely" leave. This spells abuse :).

What I can suggest is if someone drops during loading or first minute of the match then the game will pause for about 1-2 min. Which will then notify the players that is searching for a 4th player. So someone who is searching for a 2v2 as axis/allies can be placed in that game and people can resume. IF no one was found in that period then AI will be placed.
25 Nov 2014, 03:32 AM

Here i will explain it more in-depth on the DOta2 system. I will then try to apply it to COH2

The game has a 1:30 timer for people to load into the game. If someone does not load into the game within that time, the player is dropped, and everyone enters into the matchmaking queue again.

If a player disconnects, leaves the game or goes afk for 5 minutes, the game becomes safe to leave. You will get a loss or win, but not the penalty for leaving (in COH2 case, you will not get a trust rating decrease)

If a player leaves the game, or disconnects, and doesn't come back before someone's champion is killed, the game is safe to leave AND the winning and losing team will not get a win or loss. respectively. In Coh2, this could mean if the player doesn't come back before the first squad member is wiped, then the game is safe to leave AND no one will get a win or loss. Could also be set to a certain damage reached, since squad member getting killed is kinda random.

The obvious differences between COH@ and DOta2 is:

1. If you disconnect from COH2, there is no way to come back, unless you are still in game and there is the "attempting to reconnect text" on the left side of the screen.
2. It is possible to reconnect in Dota2
3. There is a heavy penalty for being the first one to leave a game in DOta2, or going afk/disconnecting for over 5 minutes. You will be placed in the "low priority" queue which basically means the place toxic players end up. You will placed in this queue for 24 hrs, it will also take longer to find a game.
4. the only penalty afaik in COH2 is your trust rating. This determines if you "win" or "lose" during sync-errors, although there are reports of people getting losses no matter how good their trust rating is.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2014, 03:23 AMAstarot
So you get matched vs a good team and one of you "afk" or "/leave" when the other one can "safely" leave. This spells abuse :).

One person would have to leave the game or be afk for 5 minutes for it to be safe to leave. THe penalties for leaving the game in Dota2 are pretty harsh, especially if you are a dedicated gamer and wanna crank out some games. In order for it to be effective in COH2, the penalties for leaving need to be increased. Right now there is basically no penalty for being the first one to leave the game.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2014, 03:23 AMAstarot
What I can suggest is if someone drops during loading or first minute of the match then the game will pause for about 1-2 min. Which will then notify the players that is searching for a 4th player. So someone who is searching for a 2v2 as axis/allies can be placed in that game and people can resume. IF no one was found in that period then AI will be placed.

DOta2 leaver system has what you are looking for. The game has a timer that waits for everyone to load in. Once 1:30 has passed, whoever that hasn't loaded in will be dropped, and all players will be sent back to the matchmaking queue.
25 Nov 2014, 04:27 AM

@NinjaWJ

Never played that game so I don't know how the system worked, but sounds cool and is good that they have something like this. We sure can use something similar in COH.
25 Nov 2014, 07:03 AM

It isn't just people not loading in or dropping early on, but, more annoyingly, people who lose one engagement, proceed to abuse their team-mates and then abandon the game (or worse, they start mortaring their ally's base). It isn't a rare occurrence either. Every second or third team game has some guy who throws a hissyfit even though the game is completely winnable. A LPQ punishment system would improve the team game experience significantly.
25 Nov 2014, 07:32 AM

The best solution is to interpret the RECONNECT FUNCTION, and then punish the leavers (a few hours ban for example). I remember staff saying that they have thought about the reconnect function, but back in that time they were more concerned about observe mode (During WFA Alpha). Sometimes you just have like 10 seconds of bad connection, packet loss or something similar and that causes you and you mate to lose the game.
I think it's up to community to demand this function. I know that there might be a lot of technical difficulties, but this is HUGE.
After this, you can simply punish leavers and trolls. Just ban them for a few hours/days and they will behave like and adult next time they join a game.
25 Nov 2014, 07:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Nov 2014, 07:32 AMRMMLz
The best solution is to interpret the RECONNECT FUNCTION, and then punish the leavers (a few hours ban for example). I remember staff saying that they have thought about the reconnect function, but back in that time they were more concerned about observe mode (During WFA Alpha). Sometimes you just have like 10 seconds of bad connection, packet loss or something similar and that causes you and you mate to lose the game.
I think it's up to community to demand this function. I know that there might be a lot of technical difficulties, but this is HUGE.
After this, you can simply punish leavers and trolls. Just ban them for a few hours/days and they will behave like and adult next time they join a game.

i agree. considering that they said they will be focused on gameplay improvements for the next couple months, this should be a top priority. Having a good leaver system would improve the gameplay experience for everybody
25 Nov 2014, 07:57 AM
Patrion 14

Sorry, but if you hop into a 4 v 4 on City 17 and two of your teammates immediately camp the non-resource point near the central VP and don't help with fuel then it's GG anyway.

I've dropped when it's clear the ELO has dumped me on planet noobenstein. It's half an hour of my life I'm never getting back.

25 Nov 2014, 08:50 AM

Sorry, but if you hop into a 4 v 4 on City 17 and two of your teammates immediately camp the non-resource point near the central VP and don't help with fuel then it's GG anyway.

I've dropped when it's clear the ELO has dumped me on planet noobenstein. It's half an hour of my life I'm never getting back.

This is the attitude that pisses me off. It's almost never completely unsalvageable in CoH unless you quite literally have several Tigers sitting in your base wiping everything. I can't count the number of times that a single push + arty combination when the enemy AT was out of position for a few seconds has won me a game outright - despite the fact that I was way behind.
25 Nov 2014, 09:04 AM

Essentially every hour you live is an hour you not going to get back, so you rage quit because you jumped into a 4v4 automatch with noobs? what did you expect?

I've been in so many games where we could of won but a player drops inexplicably, or calling us noobs because we are not playing 'the way they think we should', sometimes inside the first 4-10 minutes of the game.
25 Nov 2014, 09:19 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I'm quite happy to play on when people drop at the start

I know what the AI will do, and can adapt around it, it will be quite capable of keeping the opposition busy while I work on winning

Also to your advantage is that people take their eye off the ball when playing the AI.

Winning a 4v4 as the only human player?

Priceless
25 Nov 2014, 09:21 AM
Patrion 14

Sorry but you are hearing but not *listening*

I was playing 4 v 4 random as allies. The other side were gnarly Axis players. By the eight minute mark they have solid T1 and T2 units set-up and winning fuel points. I'm left on my own getting dogpiled on a fuel point by two players and my side are tooling around in the middle spamming snipers.

Sorry, that's not rage-quitting, that's making a measured decision about what is and what is not fun.

I don't do it often, but I will occasionally. I'm just being candid.
25 Nov 2014, 10:22 AM
Honorary Member Badge

I don't blame you
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
unknown 25
Peru 19
United Kingdom 201
Germany 34
United States 1

Ladders Top 10