Login

russian armor

Archive.exe Error

22 Nov 2014, 18:58 PM

Hi All,

First thing, when I tried to make this post initially I was sent to an error screen with code 500 and I got a blank topic without my post. I tried that a couple of times and wound up with 3 blank topics. I finally realized I should just make a reply on one of them to serve as my original post. Either I'm a clueless n00b or that's a confusing way to make new topics. Anyways, here is my real issue.

I've run into a problem while following the tutorial for the official modding tools. I followed the tutorial step-by-step, but when I try to build the mod the Archive.exe tool fails for some reason.

Here's a screenshot of it failing:

and here's the log for that build:
Code

modbuilder.exe Information: 0 : Building test.mod...
modbuilder.exe Information: 0 : Writing D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files\info\1c6e66585b2c409197e0d7218b7d2406.info...
modbuilder.exe Information: 0 : D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Company of Heroes 2\Archive.exe -c "D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test Intermediate Cache\ArchiveDefinition.txt" -a "D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test.sga" -r "D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test Intermediate Cache\Intermediate Files"
modbuilder.exe Error: 0 : D:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Company of Heroes 2\Archive.exe failed with exit code -1073741819.
modbuilder.exe Warning: 0 : Error copying D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test.sga: Could not find file 'D:\Users\PR0tegenic\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\mods\testing\test.sga'.
modbuilder.exe Information: 0 : Built test.mod.

I tried opening a command prompt and running Archive.exe with no inputs and this caused the exact same error dialog to pop up.

I tried verifying my coh2 installation on steam and everything checked out, but I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled my game anyway. That didn't fix the problem, unfortunately.
So now I'm at a loss as to what I should try next. Is there some known incompatibility of Archive.exe with Windows 7? Could my Archive.exe be corrupted? Both seem unlikely to me.

Any suggestions?
7 Dec 2014, 06:26 AM

In your mod tools directory there should be some archiver log files, and the most recent will (hopefully) tell what's giving that error code.

I've only gotten error code 0, which turned out to be path names too long. See if your log explains what -1073741819 is.
8 Dec 2014, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the response trigg. I checked my mod tools directory and couldn't find anything that looked like a log file for the archiver. I ended up looking in all my coh2 related folders and still no dice.

Fortunately, in the process of searching for these log files I stumbled upon the fact that I hadn't updated windows in quite some time. Apparently I turned off automatic updates a while ago and forgot to turn them back on. So I applied ~120 updates that windows recommended and miraculously the archiver now works. :D

I don't know which update specifically did the job, but if anyone else is experiencing this problem you should try applying all the latest windows updates.

I probably wouldn't have looked much further into fixing this if you hadn't posted so thanks again for the reply trigg.
25 Feb 2017, 23:17 PM

so from steam apps/common/company of heroes 2. I try to open. The archive.exe application and it pops up for a split second and then goes away again if I rapid click the mouse eventually the archive.exe will stay up on the screen but as soon as I type a single key or press any button it goes away again
25 Feb 2017, 23:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

so from steam apps/common/company of heroes 2. I try to open. The archive.exe application and it pops up for a split second and then goes away again if I rapid click the mouse eventually the archive.exe will stay up on the screen but as soon as I type a single key or press any button it goes away again

You don't need to execute that manually. Have a look at the basic tutorial for the mod tools. If you have any questions, please start a new thread.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 42
Germany 765
unknown 20
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L