Login

russian armor

Rifle grenade madness after last big patch

20 Nov 2014, 06:00 AM

this doesnt make any sense, they improved the response time making it easier to dodge grenades.. and now you claim theyve been indirectly buffed?

For those that dont know. the animation for the rifle grenade is that one of the squad members (usually towards the front) takes a knee, places his rifle on the ground to angle for a shot, and then fires it. Its probably the easiest grenade animation to spot. The time from launching the grenade to it landing is just under 1 second. If you catch it from the start you have plenty of time to order your squad to side step it.

Not having the glaringly obvious big red timer makes its slightly harder to spot. But if you know the animation you have the same exact options as if it were a normal grenade because its about the same timing.

you really need to be looking for the grenade animation for all types of infantry if you want to play your best. (rather than relying on the timer). If you see the animation and react immediatly you usually can side step the grenade. If you wait for the timer to appear you usually have to retreat (or just choose to take the damage)

20 Nov 2014, 06:17 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

this doesnt make any sense, they improved the response time making it easier to dodge grenades.. and now you claim theyve been indirectly buffed?

For those that dont know. the animation for the rifle grenade is that one of the squad members (usually towards the front) takes a knee, places his rifle on the ground to angle for a shot, and then fires it. Its probably the easiest grenade animation to spot. The time from launching the grenade to it landing is just under 1 second. If you catch it from the start you have plenty of time to order your squad to side step it.

Not having the glaringly obvious big red timer makes its slightly harder to spot. But if you know the animation you have the same exact options as if it were a normal grenade because its about the same timing.

you really need to be looking for the grenade animation for all types of infantry if you want to play your best. (rather than relying on the timer). If you see the animation and react immediatly you usually can side step the grenade. If you wait for the timer to appear you usually have to retreat (or just choose to take the damage)

You forgot to mention that there's also a loud, distinctive "CHUNK" noise and the targeted squad yells "GRENADE!", both of which you can hear from pretty much anywhere on the map. I also don't find rifle grenades hard to dodge with infantry. Team weapons are another story, but grenades are for killing weapon teams :p
Rifle grenades have really long range, which makes double rifle grenades strong at killing maxims, for example, but that's a different issue than the animation.
20 Nov 2014, 06:51 AM

The grenade with the best range, that explode instant now wipes squads a lot.
There is no disadvantage in it.
Just fail and stupid. Riflegrenade spam is really a pain and game killer for me.
And i mean cons, guards and shocks.
20 Nov 2014, 07:17 AM
Patrion 28

look. if you're guys are moving, don't worry about it. if your guys are really close, don't worry about it. if they're in cover at mid (or long for vet grens) range then keep an eye on the enemy and move any squads slightly if you think they're going to pull it off. same thing with thrown grenades except at short range.
20 Nov 2014, 07:39 AM

Did you see molotov animation?
The problem is that you can't always see the animation and there is when lack of timer is huge advantage.
What I mean... When you blob, you move all your inf together rifle nades are not problem because you see. The problem is when you are trying to do something better that blobbing and you micro inf on dofferent parts of the map. You are jumping between squads a lot and when you hear "greneade!", befire you realize where it is your squad is gone. Timer would make it easier but Im not saying timer is must-have.
20 Nov 2014, 07:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 06:51 AMSorban
Just fail and stupid. Riflegrenade spam is really a pain and game killer for me.

No disadvantage ? What about minimum range ? Grens are designed to be long range fighters, rifle nade is designed to be a long range nade. If you stay in grens optimal fighting range at all times, then the problem is not the nade. The nade by itself forces a lot of attention towards what each of your squads are doing, it wipes squads when they are heavily damaged, clumped a lot and are standing still (and somewhere between minimal and maximal range of the rnade). At times i would like to have a normal nade rather than the rifle one with my grens. So much for the no disadvantages, huh ?
20 Nov 2014, 08:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 06:51 AMSorban

You can't launch it while on the move, and it has a minimum range that has to be met. If you don't want to get gibbed by it, close the gap.
20 Nov 2014, 08:10 AM

in my experience, if you first hear about the grenade from the sound you usually have to do a panic retreat anyway (on any grenade type).

The ideal scenario would be that no grenades have timers and you always rely on whats actually happening in the game world (as you must do for basically everything else in the game). but since the grenades are so small you would never know where they landed without some help from the timer hud.

the rifle grenade and the molotov animations are good enough so you can see where they went without the help of the timer hud, so its not needed.
20 Nov 2014, 08:24 AM

okay, its not about the timer, its barely about the animation, its about the range. there's no need for grens to break cover and no need for moving into range, which imo is the BIGGEST giveaway for a potential nade throw.

this is what makes it hard to spot rifle nades, there's no obvious telltale signs, just miss out a single dude squatting and thats 1 squad you have to retreat, or a squad wipe.

compared to other nades, everyone else needs to get into range and thats what makes it easy to predict when someone tries to get into nading range.
20 Nov 2014, 08:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 08:24 AMwongtp
okay, its not about the timer, its barely about the animation, its about the range. there's no need for grens to break cover and no need for moving into range, which imo is the BIGGEST giveaway for a potential nade throw.

this is what makes it hard to spot rifle nades, there's no obvious telltale signs, just miss out a single dude squatting and thats 1 squad you have to retreat, or a squad wipe.

compared to other nades, everyone else needs to get into range and thats what makes it easy to predict when someone tries to get into nading range.
The guy kneeling down is enough of a give away. There's no need for the guy to actually break cover or anything for me to tell that he's firing the grenade.
20 Nov 2014, 09:01 AM

There's an animation, a distinctive sound, your yelling squad and it's not that hard to tell when your enemy is about to use them. I don't see the issue here.
Clumping units favor all grenades, not only rifle nades.
20 Nov 2014, 09:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 07:59 AMSlaYoU

No disadvantage ? What about minimum range ? Grens are designed to be long range fighters, rifle nade is designed to be a long range nade. If you stay in grens optimal fighting range at all times, then the problem is not the nade. The nade by itself forces a lot of attention towards what each of your squads are doing, it wipes squads when they are heavily damaged, clumped a lot and are standing still (and somewhere between minimal and maximal range of the rnade). At times i would like to have a normal nade rather than the rifle one with my grens. So much for the no disadvantages, huh ?

Really??? You think Molotov is better than a rifle nade? I would pick any nade in exchange of loltov.
Sorry you just seem to play another game or in another league (i'm just around rank 600). And to explain, the riflenades are a problem since the last patch. Because of the cover system they get a really huge buff.
20 Nov 2014, 09:23 AM

rifle grenades are the best in the game, always have been

No research cost, long range. It's really the range that adds an unpredictable element, which I love to use on my riflemen. I stack 3 of the +7% grenade range bulletins and john elway them from rifle grenade range, it's really effective.

I always thought they should do something with RGs. Make the smoke trail more visible, or speed up the flight time and add a 1 second fuse when it lands
20 Nov 2014, 09:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 09:19 AMSorban

Really??? You think Molotov is better than a rifle nade? I would pick any nade in exchange of loltov.
Sorry you just seem to play another game or in another league (i'm just around rank 600). And to explain, the riflenades are a problem since the last patch. Because of the cover system they get a really huge buff.

You're using the molotov wrong. It has the ability to wipe on impact, but furthermore it makes a location uninhabitable for several seconds because of the fire-pool burning there. It's a cover/area denial tool, not necessarily a troop killer.

The reason Germans ended up with more troop killers and equalizers were to better emulate the historical 3:1 ratios that the Germans dealt with. Allies have numbers, cheaper units, lower quality. Germans have higher quality, lesser numbers, more expense to compensate, their qualities allow them equalizers to level the playing field.

LMG-42's, G43's, Rifle-Grenades. Honestly they should get their LMG-42 + G-43 combo back to make them a bit better and bring back use to G-43 doctrines.

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 09:23 AMArclyte
rifle grenades are the best in the game, always have been

No research cost, long range. It's really the range that adds an unpredictable element, which I love to use on my riflemen. I stack 3 of the +7% grenade range bulletins and john elway them from rifle grenade range, it's really effective.

I always thought they should do something with RGs. Make the smoke trail more visible, or speed up the flight time and add a 1 second fuse when it lands

Wrong, their tech research costs are bundled in with the Battle Phase 1 tech up.

Their long range comes with the down side of a minimum range that's actually pretty distanced. If you stand right on top of them, they won't be able to fire it. It's fine as it is.
20 Nov 2014, 09:40 AM

lol ok, and what wehr player isn't gonna go tier 2? Can I get free AT nades and molotovs when I build my tier 3 building then?

Shreck and rifle grenade are great abilities, and they are very much free.
20 Nov 2014, 09:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2014, 08:48 AMsteel
The guy kneeling down is enough of a give away. There's no need for the guy to actually break cover or anything for me to tell that he's firing the grenade.

in a rifle firefight, the best give away is trying to close in. the fact that rn does not need to do that, gives it an element of surprise and often clears out a good number of models on hit with the new cover behaviour changes.

and when the fighting gets more intense as the game goes on, there's more micro, more events happening on screen which makes that squatting animation very subtle, it is difficult to spot them, compared to breaking cover and moving up into nade range or flanking from the sides.

the surprise factor alone makes it the best nade in the whole game.
20 Nov 2014, 09:54 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 15:29 PMRomeo

Because "press right click to dodge grenade" is soooo much more sophisticated :D

I was more referring to your simplification of spotting a squads actions.

The more fluent gameplay after last patch actually allows easier dodging. No idea why the Rifle grenade is supposed to be super OP now.
20 Nov 2014, 17:44 PM

Decent players dodge RGs all day, sometimes during a hectic fight the animation and noises can get lost, but besides that other nades do similar damage from what I've seen.

If a Gren squad is at long to mid range you should be keeping an eye out for an RG, no excuses.

Just like if a Con squad or any other squad is close range you watch for molotovs or other nades, this is basic stuff.
20 Nov 2014, 17:58 PM

Wrong button, delete pls.
20 Nov 2014, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2014, 15:48 PMVaz

Well that's entertaining and not surprising at all. Now to find Jaigen's.

Good luck!

My opinion is this you eat a RN or in fact nade then its your own damn fault and you deserve a squad wipe. if it doesn then the rng god is very generous.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★