Login

russian armor

Ostruppen?

17 Nov 2014, 17:48 PM

What's up with the recent ostruppen love? In team games, usuallly you have guys who keep callin in osts, even at late game.

Hell, I'm tempted to buy the rare Doc just to try the magical feeling they get when they call in a sheepy unit.
17 Nov 2014, 18:23 PM
Honorary Member Badge

They were directly buffed a few patches ago, and indirectly buffed last patch as they can now find cover more easily.

Late game they remain handy as expendable cappers and as a disposable panzerfaust operator

+++++++++++

Also Napalm is in love with them

http://www.coh2.org/topic/26961/the-cheese-series--a-competition/post/245423
17 Nov 2014, 19:16 PM

Despite the recent buff, Osttruppen are still not viable as a general infantry, but there are specific Soviet builds against which they shine, for example my good old beloved T1 Sniper/Guard cheese, since they enable the Ost player to outcap his Sov antagonist so badly as to allow for a pretty safe Oswind rush. Then again, if the Sov player switches it up for Penal spam, you're screwed.
17 Nov 2014, 19:31 PM

Osttruppen are what conscripts should be, low cost with low renforcement cost, great when tacticaly used.

Fav unit/commander for Ost.
17 Nov 2014, 20:17 PM

I could type up a long response as to why they are great. Just buy it and try it for yourself and see if it is your play style.
17 Nov 2014, 20:17 PM
Donator 11

Hello HardworkingBulldozer,

I dont recommend you that commander in 1v1.

Versus Soviet:

- Only good in open maps versus T1 Snipers strategies.

Versus US:

- You cant risk with Ostruppens + MG42

Typs:

- HT at min 7:30
- MG Intell Bulletins
- Play defensive
- Good luck
17 Nov 2014, 20:18 PM

I made the mistake to think that the Spoils-Drop-Exchange system will be in working order soon, hence decided to skip this Doc and bought a few skins instead. Sounds good judging from your experiences.

Hi Jes, thanks for the tips. I agree with the fact that you can't rely on it, however I really like to try the human wave tact for ostheer:lol:. Will give it a try after purchasing it.
17 Nov 2014, 21:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Nov 2014, 20:17 PMNapalm
I could type up a long response as to why they are great. Just buy it and try it for yourself and see if it is your play style.
Sounds like it's endorsed by you. Where's the Napalm seal of approval though? You should get StrummingBird to make you one or something.

Anyway, Osttruppen are really good now when I used them. Get enough of them and they shred any infantry they see. The accuracy buff definitely made this unit grenadier level if I say so myself.
18 Nov 2014, 09:05 AM

I've tried to use them as a meatshield with sniper/double snipers (one usually enough).
Had hard times against USF (because of M-20) and but amazing against Soviet - both T1 (M3A1 is kinda weak) and T2 start.
19 Nov 2014, 17:31 PM

I usually wait to break out the ost. only when I see that he has very few units.. add a couple cheap troops to soak up gunfire/overwhelm.
19 Nov 2014, 18:11 PM

I haven't seen these guys really shine with any consistency in a long time. As of right now I do not think they are a very viable strat, you may be able to pull off a few wins but i doubt you're climbing the ladder with it.
20 Nov 2014, 00:23 AM

Climbing the ladder is not on my schedule.
20 Nov 2014, 08:26 AM
Patrion 14

I absolutely love ostruppen, they shine the most in 2v2 games with an arranged partner to allow for a super durable defense. On maps like minsk pocket, an ostruppen defense supported by mg42s, pak43s, and the like is exceedingly difficult to defeat. Not to mention that MP bleed isnt too much of a problem when you can recrew anything with ostruppen. Really, I'm suprised more people don't put them in loadouts, they require proper planning but they are a great unit.
27 Nov 2014, 20:50 PM
Patrion 310

vs USF:
It seems to me that the power from this doc in this match up are the ability to convert fuel into munitions. So hardcore lmg gren spam and no ost.

Werh have more weapons upgrade in the early-midgame which mean werh pay less manpower to get map control. So even though 50 fuel for 150 munitions seems like alot its equal to around 33 OKW fuel who with the fuel conversion from the mech truck would get them 100 munitions for 33 OKW fuel.

vs Soviet:
Ost spam > skip T1 > T2 (play defensive as you dont want soviet to get 2 CPs fast)
a) 222s to counter snipers/scout scars/penals (no 2 CPs for guards with fast T2) or b) HT with pio flamers to counter T2 with mgs/shocks/mortars > backtech T1 depending on your need
c) vs pure Cons spam > Ost spam > skip both T1+T2 > fast tech P4 or Ostwind > backtech T1/T2 depending on your need

27 Nov 2014, 21:19 PM

Well if you see T1 in the fog of war, make T1 and like 6 ostruppen 2 mg42 and cap the map. Avoid fighting, you dont want to give soviets 2 CP for guards too fast. Soviet sniper strategies lack map control.
7 Dec 2014, 09:33 AM

Hi, I feel there is one more EXTREME advantage to ostruppen. It is the squad size. Thanks to them an ostheer player gets something amercians and soviets continuously have. It's the ability to pick weapons. Normally its difficult as its enough to lose one model on a gren squad and you either pick the team weapon and lose the squad or leave the weapon abandoned. With ostrupen it easy - you take it and still can use the remaining squad members to cap, for example. Imagine a one model gren squad capping - extreme risk of losing the squad.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★