Login

russian armor

Midgame combined push (blob) counter

15 Nov 2014, 10:21 AM

Well ive been having trouble holding the line with HMG when shocks arrive as they just smoke and close i tried various things but a SMINE covering HMG is the best combo.

US + Soveit do a combined push on my HMG holding fuel i plant SMINE just in time and my 222 baits them right into it .. Finally i have way to deal with the shocks push.

Guys please suggest any other counters available in oshteer aresenal in midgame coz i have to sacrifice a LMG to afford a SMINE that early.

Replay of this amazing SMINE slaughter below

15 Nov 2014, 10:32 AM

Now, what is your definition of mid game? Mine is when the first medium tank comes out, so if yours is the same, then the Ostwind would help a lot.

If it's earlier than that, then I can only recommend bunker/ HMG & panzergrenadier.

Another thing that might work is HMG mortar combo. Most of the time, the HMG has enough time to suppress enemy squads so the mortar would come in real handy.

G43 grenadier is also good if you don't want to get panzergrenadier.

No, I didn't watch that replay nor downloaded it.
15 Nov 2014, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Nov 2014, 10:32 AMsteel
Now, what is your definition of mid game?

Well im having trouble with Shocks push you can say early midgame at about 9 or 11 min mark.

i can hold my ground with HMGs grenadiers and some panzer greandier mixed till then but as soon as shocks hit the field i start loosing engagements as they just pop smoke close in and clobber HMG positions.

im talking about a like 3-4(cons/flame penals) squads of infantry and 1 shocks converging on a HMG covering fuel with panzer greandiers near by and a grenadiers squad in flank , rest of my units are spread out. i cant win this without an Smine infornt of HMG.
15 Nov 2014, 19:30 PM

Well simple answer is try to stay compact as Ostheer, don't blob your forces, but be able to support each other in a timely fashion and don't spread out over the map too much.

Positioning is very important to Ostheer. Vs hard pushes by enemy infantry, a combination of Ostheer units can work, Grens & HMGs, Grens & Pgrens, Grens & Scout cars (if you got the micro).

Learning the maps is pretty important and how they generally flow. As a general rule of thumb, Gren spam into some Pgrens, Pak and Tiger tank call in, is boring as garden, but effective as it is pretty consistent. If your out purely for wins, probably the most straightforward route as Ostheer this patch imo.

Vs Yanks, on closed off maps, throw down two early tellers if you can and get a PAK eventually. On open maps, consider a 222 if he goes utility car, otherwise pak. VS Soviets, use them early munitions towards LMGS & sweepers.

A general BO is 5 grens, t2, Pgren, Pak, Pgren, tiger. Throw in a 2nd pak if required. For some flavour, consider trading out one Pgren for a sniper.

Don't stick rigidly to that, use your head and react to what you see on the field, but you get the jist.

And that kids, is 101 on how to play Ostheer in a boring manner, similar to OKW. (IMO, some may disagree).

Edit: Lightning warfare is in vogue this patch, as you get the Tiger and Stuka, which late game can be used to help vs Jacksons/ISU/IS-2, i.e. anything that can stand up to the Tiger.

15 Nov 2014, 23:14 PM

I tend to agree with Bryan...but I dont think the 5 gren opening is necessary vs Soviets. 1 HMG is good and fun, a mortar (or mortar truck also).

Its a bit sad that tier 3 is so underused at the moment, but you could try and go for it. Get a quick Ostwind to deal with Shocks!(you can be reactive and go with P4 if you see no shocks) You will have to get at least 2 paks to deal with any armor. And this will delay your Tiger a bit but not as much as you might think.

Vs soviets : 3 Grens, 1 or 2 HMG, Mortar ...fast tech to tier 3 Ostwind...then back tech to get 2x Paks and Pgrens...later a Tiger.

Vs US : Sadly...this is not a fun matchup, and anything but 4-5 Gren opening into Pak is gonna be ridiculously hard to play. (vs good players of course)
16 Nov 2014, 03:35 AM

What Bryan said. As ost, you don't split up too much. We're supposed to concede some ground. I recommened to hold only at least 40% up to 55%. of the map. Any more and you repeat Hitler's mistake: Army stretched too thin.

16 Nov 2014, 04:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Nov 2014, 03:35 AMsteel
What Bryan said. As ost, you don't split up too much. We're supposed to concede some ground. I recommened to hold only at least 40% up to 55%. of the map. Any more and you repeat Hitler's mistake: Army stretched too thin.

roger that i only play 2v2 as ostheer now, So once I win fuel or VP i put a HMG with Smine and move my grens away to next location, i think that was a mistake i was making as when shocks arrive i cant assist the HMG in time.

ill try not to split up from now on, and im using LUfftwaffe a lot, so Tigers arent in my arsenal, so holding fuel is crucial for me so i can pump out fuel drops to my teammate.
16 Nov 2014, 05:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Nov 2014, 04:09 AMImSkemo

roger that i only play 2v2 as ostheer now, So once I win fuel or VP i put a HMG with Smine and move my grens away to next location, i think that was a mistake i was making as when shocks arrive i cant assist the HMG in time.

ill try not to split up from now on, and im using LUfftwaffe a lot, so Tigers arent in my arsenal, so holding fuel is crucial for me so i can pump out fuel drops to my teammate.
If you're playing luftwaffe supply then you're gonna have to play a bit more passive. Back when my teammate used it he would let me do most of the fighting while he continued calling in the supply drops. The supply drop really drained his manpower so he couldn't field is as many men as me while I was floating 200mp :lol:. We won too many games for me to count using that strat. You better hope your teammate can handle 65-70% of the fighting since you can't reinforce and call in troops as much as him.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★