Login

russian armor

Improving my Macro

3 Nov 2014, 11:36 AM

Hey guys,
so I've noticed two big things about my gameplay that I do badly.

Firstly, I tend to forget about units that I sent to cap, or lay Mines, or retreated, leading to possible squad wipes if I don't notice them being in combat soon enough, and it is of course an inefficient use of ressources.
So, any advice for getting better with that?

The second thing is that, after my initial build order, if I don't feel compelled to get anything, I often have no idea what units or tech to get next.
3 Nov 2014, 12:00 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Hey guys,
so I've noticed two big things about my gameplay that I do badly.

Firstly, I tend to forget about units that I sent to cap, or lay Mines, or retreated, leading to possible squad wipes if I don't notice them being in combat soon enough, and it is of course an inefficient use of ressources.
So, any advice for getting better with that?

Well first of all, you get a feeling for these kind of things the longer you play. Some tips that helped me were always paying attetion to the squad list in the top right corner. Even if you are not paying attention to units in combat, you can tell that they are in trouble because they are losing health rapidly for example.

For a better overview about your troops I highly recommend the tactical map.

The second thing is that, after my initial build order, if I don't feel compelled to get anything, I often have no idea what units or tech to get next.

Well there mostly two cases that can happen. Either you have map control or you dont have it. In the first case you can safely tech up, because you know your opponent can't get out any tanks soon. And in the second case you better prepare for tanks by laying mines and getting Paks.

For Ostheer for example with a bad start: Heavy T1, T2 into call ins or late T3.
For Ostheer for example with a good start: Heavy T1 into fast T3 for an Ostwind, backtech to T2.

There's a lot of things you can do, I hope this helps so far.
3 Nov 2014, 21:48 PM

Well the first part of your problem is prety much what has already been suggested here, I would just add glancing over he mini map to check your base to make sure no squad is just sitting there, and shift command your engies laying mines so they move away afterwards.

As for not knowing what to tech too or what units to get, you should always have a though out teching path in advance.

Example: when I play soviets there are many options, and I usually make choices in advance T1 vs OKW, T2 vs Ostheer into T4 if I choose Guards motor doctrine, T3 if I choose the IS2.

As for units it sometimes better wait in order to get the right counter, but you should always be able to predict what you will need.

Example vs OKW after killing a kunbel with m3 haven't seen a forward medic truck, you can expect either flack HT or puma, you can get guards and At nades or go T1, T2 and go for zis in advance since it also has barrage ability and you can lay mines and bait puma.

So basically keep an eye on your unit list on top right corner and mini map, create a tech path in advance off games that changes according to maps, and can be adapted to the situation, try to predict your opponents next move or just wait for it before committing to new units.

For example would be pretty bad to get a T-70 when a puma rolls out.

Hope this helps
4 Nov 2014, 00:07 AM

Hey, thanks a lot guys, that does help me indeed!
Of course, it's easier read than done, but I guess I'll just need to get some practice, at least for the "unit attention" part.

Creating tech paths in advance sounds like a very good idea, and matches the advice I got elsewhere (basically, to not think about strategy during the match).
The problem for me is the vast amount of possible strategies and Commanders in COH 2.
What complicates this further is that I haven't fully decided what faction I want to focus on for now - it'll likely end up being either USF (I like the strong infantry and excellent logistical capabilities) or Ostheer (for having a very versatile lineup of units and commander abilities) though.
5 Nov 2014, 08:02 AM

So, what can you recommend in terms of faction, tech paths and commanders?
7 Nov 2014, 05:16 AM
Honorary Member Badge

What game mode do you prefer?

And do you have any preference for faction or the sort of style you like to play?
7 Nov 2014, 11:33 AM

Yep, I prefer playing 1v1.
In terms of style, I prefer infantry play over vehicles, as my micro with infantry seems to be better.
I also try to incorporate flanking and ambush tactics into my games more, but it isn't always easy.
7 Nov 2014, 14:37 PM

Yep, I prefer playing 1v1.
In terms of style, I prefer infantry play over vehicles, as my micro with infantry seems to be better.
I also try to incorporate flanking and ambush tactics into my games more, but it isn't always easy.

Yep you sound to be on about my level (check my player card). Although I am moving more to 1v1 due to horrifically bad 2v2 teammates.

Something I have also found is player's fail to think of long term goals for a game, many try to be too aggressive and get the highest kill count. They forget that the mode is annihilation but Victory Points. I usually have a lot of deaths on my side, but the enemy will lose by a fair margin of VPs. So remember that the focus is VPs and try not to get too aggressive only to realize too late you have too few VPs.
7 Nov 2014, 18:37 PM

My advice would to play Ostheer. They are not the strongest faction 1v1 at the moment, but they are fairly easy to play. Ostheer tend to be more of an defensive force which is not your favorite style. I think however, that it's the perfect faction to learn how to use strategies, build orders and awareness. The fundamentals basically. That's how I learned to play CoH1 as a matter of fact. I read about Inverse VVSMG build order and that taught me a lot and changed the way I played the game in every sense.

While in game you will have to react to what your opponent is doing, but going into the game with some kind of mentality of what YOU want to do is always helpful. It's so easy to get lost trying to micro your units and not float resources that you end up building all the wrong units while sending them to the wrong fights. This happens to everyone I guess, but you should always work to minimize it.

Easy guidelines for Ostheer:
- Five tier1 units. (Ex; 3 grens, 2 mgs) +Heal bunker
- Three or four tier 2 units. (Ex: PG, 2 paks, Scout car)
- Call-in tanks (Tiger, Puma, StuG E)

And the most difficult part is not to rage when you get flushed out by conscripts or rifles. (I'm still working on that one!) Before you hit a stable rank which reflects your skill-level you will end up playing versus very strange strategies that sometimes work, even though they really shouldn't! So try to find the unit composition that you are comfortable with and don't make to drastic changes because of a few lost games.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS