Hi, Kameraden.
I want Ostheer veteran's advise.
How long do you fight at phase 1?

I normally make below at phase 1.
3x Grenadiers
1x Medic Station Bunker
1x Munition Cache
Then I go phase 2.

But often I am overwhelmed by number of Russian infantry or American firepower.
Is my phase 1 too short? Should I make more infantry?
Or too long? Should I go phase 2 faster and make advanced units?

Thank you for reading.
1 Nov 2014, 09:11 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Three units from T1 is very few. Most players get at least four. You should consider waiting to get any caches until later and use your manpower to get more units instead. You will be better off if you can take and hold more of the map.

Also, no worries about the duplicate posts. I set them invisible for you ;)
1 Nov 2014, 09:24 AM

It's very dependant on your situation and which army you are facing. But like ComputerHeat said, 3 units is too few, you will get into trouble quickly and lose map control.

Against the USF you usually expect to see a fast M20 or AA halftrack so it's generally a good idea to get a PaK out as soon as you have a decent army composition (4-5 units from T1).

Against soviets you don't generally need a PaK so early since the T3 vehicles come out significantly later than the USF light vehicles. Against soviets you can get a squad of panzergrenadiers or a scout car followed by a PaK when needed.

As a rule of thumb you don't want to stay in T1 too long unless you have a good map advantage and you're going to skip T2 and go straight for Pz IV or something. Usually you should have T2 building up after 5-6 minutes. However if you're staying longer in T1 it's a good idea to get more units out of it to hold your part of the map - an extra MG or grenadier etc.

Generally against infantry swarms the MG42 is good but it takes some experience to make good use of it. It gets very easily flanked on some maps if you make one mistake and usually you need to constantly reposition it to keep your opponent guessing. Also the mortar is a very strong unit and it helps keeping those infantry swarms away if you can hold the line.

Just some very general thoughts and very quickly written, hope it helps :)

1 Nov 2014, 14:09 PM

Thank you for your helpful advices.
I stay phase 1 to assemble more infantry.

I feel use MG team is difficult for me.
But I think if I could make full use, it will be effective .
I'll try it.

I say again, thank you for your helpful advices.
1 Nov 2014, 14:28 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Hi S.Sacher,

it depends on which faction you play against.

For Example: Against USF you have to rush to T2 relatively early because of their light vehicles like the M20. So a pretty good start would be 3 Grens, 1 or 2 MG42 and then immediately tech up. Dont stick to T1 for too long.

Against Soviets it's a bit diffrent. They lack light vehicles and you can go heavy T1. Like 4 Grens and 1 or 2 MG42. You can even go for a sniper if you like.

Hope that helps.
3 Nov 2014, 13:53 PM

Danke für Ihren zusätzlichen Rat.

I want to be able to decide by the opponent situation.

German HMG team is very powerful.
Their wide covered arc is nice.
But therefore I have to watch their flanks.
After repelling enemy infantry,
I often shift my MG42 team to secondary position to prevent enemy flanking.
5 Nov 2014, 17:00 PM

I usually build 2 grens then a mg and another gren squad. Then I build a medic bunker. With my grenadiers I try to lure squads into my mg and let the grens finish the job. ALWAYS reset where your machine gun is set up that way your opponent has no clue where it is. I wouldn't deal with fuel/munitions caches in a 1v1 I would rather use it to build units. At about 6-7 minutes I build the pack building to counter early US vehicles if playing against them.
14 Nov 2014, 12:40 PM

Thank you for your advices.
Now I can get over opening.
Perhaps I will post later to gain middle-game tactics.
But now I can continue playing this game thanks to you.
17 Nov 2014, 15:53 PM

One more thing about MGs. Remember this pretty much map dependent. Do not build MGs in CQC maps like Stalingrad (veto that garden). But in maps like langres even 2 MGs could work (depending on the enemy faction/playstyle). Its better not to set up your MG, keep it behind your main force and set it up after you see the enemy and your grens are engaging. If you set it up, ALWAYS have spotters/support units.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★