Login

russian armor

any tips on countering obersoldaten?

1 Nov 2014, 07:08 AM

Hi i have been playing with the soviet faction lately and have notice that when i play against okw my biggest problem that i have is how to deal with obersoldaten. I have tried a bunch of stuff like shock troops, mg, guards, cons with ppsh but the obersoldaten still shreds my units like knife tru butter. Any tips on how best to deal with them will be appreciated thanks.
1 Nov 2014, 07:16 AM

Hi i have been playing with the soviet faction lately and have notice that when i play against okw my biggest problem that i have is how to deal with obersoldaten. I have tried a bunch of stuff like shock troops, mg, guards, cons with ppsh but the obersoldaten still shreds my units like knife tru butter. Any tips on how best to deal with them will be appreciated thanks.

Snipers**
1 Nov 2014, 10:52 AM

Flank them with Flamethrower Penals................
1 Nov 2014, 11:20 AM

Snipers and penal Flamers, only 2 things I'm scared of with obers. Guards don't do terrible either.
1 Nov 2014, 12:20 PM

Permanently Banned
Guards don't do terrible either.

What is it about Guards that are scary to Obersoldaten? Their grenades? :loco:

Surely you mean Shocks.
1 Nov 2014, 14:31 PM

Guards don't do terrible either.

Yeah, they do worse than terrible....
1 Nov 2014, 16:36 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

T-70s are worth a shot. Just watch out for Pumas and shreck blobs.
1 Nov 2014, 16:38 PM

Indirect fire is also pretty good
1 Nov 2014, 17:44 PM

Snipers are strong but your micro absolutely needs to be up to scratch since a single LMG burst will kill one your models virtually all the time. Flamer penals, shocks, etc. are easier to use. I second that guards suck against Obers.
1 Nov 2014, 22:00 PM

T1, T1, T1!!!! Snipers work early game to bleed manpower and M3 is a kubel killer. If your sniper(s) is/are still alive use them but be careful, if not penals with flamers work wonders against their armour. If your looking for some overkill you have shock rifle, Shocks, flame barrage, KV8.
1 Nov 2014, 22:09 PM

Vehicles, tanks, explosive damage(mortar, grenades,...), snipers, flamers or get in close range with shocks.
2 Nov 2014, 04:13 AM

i have no idea, seems like the current meta flavor of the month is ober spam with luchs. the best chance are probably well microed snipers

the tactic is to get 2-3 obers, blob up and come from a different angle, snipe a couple of models, retreat and repeat until vetted or enemy infantry force is useless.

plus considering that light tanks for usf and soviets takes a long time to come and arent very viable against luchs, you lose both in the mobility war and infantry war.

honestly, i have no idea how to counter that.
2 Nov 2014, 05:41 AM

Dealing with Obers is not about direct fire power. Obers with their massive dps and recived accuracy plus vet abilities make throwing infantry, the bulk of your force pretty much useless. There is a combination of things that you have to do, depending on what faction you play:

Soviets

Mines are literally your best friend here, the more mines out the better. munitions for manpower drain at 0 cost of mp yourself? yes please

suppression and mortars; these two together are a potent defense against them. Suppression massively reduces their ridiculous DPS and mortar fire will allow you to kill models without throwing your infantry at them

smoke grenades while do not directly harm obers, forces them to either wait until the smoke goes away or move out of position, all the while not firing their terrifying mg34

zis field gun barrages is a great way of killing obers if you are assaulting them, they will be sitting in cover and with the new pathing, shells are even more likely to be effective

KV-8, enough said

M5 quad upgunned will murder Obers all the while allowing you to reinforce at the front, an important fact while facing the huge drain of trying to deal with Obers

T70 is your best bet early, armored enough to take shots from the shrecks or reketenwerfer and fast enough to wander the map looking for them. Keep this guy in reserve for the best effect

while flamethrowers seem appealing, the only way to really make it work is by putting them in an M5. If you are using flamethrowers to deal with Obers than they are dealing a ton of damage while you try to get in effective range

For infantry your best bet is to throw shocks at them. Make sure to use your smoke grenade on approach to minimize the damage. Even though the smgs do a ton of damage at close, because the high damage of the mg34 and the vet scaling even at close range RNG will play a factor.

Guards are probably the least cost effective way to deal with the. Conscripts can at least area deny with molotovs and crit models, a ranged dual between upgraded guards and Obers will just leave you with a weaponless guard squad from them dropping all their guns

My large army composition advice is to use T2 and T3 with Shock Frontline. get out your standard force of support weapons with a con squad or so for merging and point capping. Use shocks to flank, or defend your weapons teams. Use the T3 for T34s, T70, or M5s. All of them are great for dealing with obers. The doc also gives you camo AT guns for that late game armor, the KV-8 for general infantry killing, and IS-2 for all around greatness. In addition to the synergy of the unit comp and the commander, these two allow you to have a plethora of munitions for incendiary barrage as well as putting mines down everywhere, both crucial to cost effectively trading with OKW late game infantry.
2 Nov 2014, 13:53 PM

What is it about Guards that are scary to Obersoldaten? Their grenades? :loco:

Surely you mean Shocks.

Quite often I see Guards one shot snipe obers with their PTRS, maybe I just have bad RNG.
2 Nov 2014, 14:34 PM

Snipers x 2.
They make first shot - kill two models. OKW player realizes that next shot would be squad wipe and retreats. Result: -100 MP and long reinforcement time for OKW.

Snipers x 4 is even better, but then you lose mobility and capping power.
2 Nov 2014, 14:39 PM

I don't think I've ever seen the PTRS hit an infantryman, unlike Shrecks and Bazookas.
Also, unlike those, it doesn't actually have the damage per shot to OHK an infantryman.
2 Nov 2014, 22:40 PM

3-4 T-70s.

Great reaction force.
3 Nov 2014, 01:43 AM

Hey use mortars guys :D I am serious!!

If you go T2 start, get a couple of mortars. THey work wonders against OKW. The SOviet mortar is actually fairly accurate.
3 Nov 2014, 17:31 PM

If just a lone ober sqaud or just support by 1 volks I just use Shock to thrown smoke and get near them, for a better result thrown your regular grenade too.
*If they have 2 ober together and you have 1 shock this might not work.
**If you opponent is good when you thrown smoke he might thrown his grenade into your smoke or worse , a gas grenade. so be careful!
9 Nov 2014, 04:59 AM

I just got raped by obers.. . i need help too
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight