Login

russian armor

Vision abilities

1 Nov 2014, 01:33 AM

Honest question, not intended to be a bitch about balance. Wehr gets recon plane, very nice ability, lasts for a long time and forces you to get an AA of some kind or your tanks will always fight gimped vs true vision, plus arti etc. But it you get a circle indicator and it makes a sound.

OKW gets a superb flare that cant be counted, makes no sound and is sent anywhere on the map.

USF gets at fly over that lasts for 2 seconds over an intended places, it scouts the entire map but only gives you vision of the area for 2-3 sec.

My question is, why?

I play a lot of team games with USF and many times my game is over when an OKW flares looking for my ambulance, notices me retreating and boom, I'm gone. Even a single squad is a huge loss since it will usually take the ambulance and the major as well.

So on the other hand, USF doesn't get a doctrinal artillery that could abuse vision, in fact USF desperately needs vision to be able to fight their bigger better armored tanks otherwise the fights go very bad. We get one commander that is able to flare, but is bound to the rifles and their range and wonky animation.

I really would like to know if anyone has a counter point as to why OKW was given a silent flare, even on the new kappatch this isnt addressed at all, so it got me wondering if its just not seen as a strange balance.
1 Nov 2014, 03:11 AM

USF gets a multiple rocket firing air attack that lasts for a long time and covers a huge area.

The only air attack the OKW has is the Fallsmijagear strafe which is confined to the area of a single capture point and lasts only two slow passes.
1 Nov 2014, 03:33 AM

USF gets a multiple rocket firing air attack that lasts for a long time and covers a huge area.

I am not talking about airplane only abilities, im talking about vision abilities
The only air attack the OKW has is the Fallsmijagear strafe which is confined to the area of a single capture point and lasts only two slow passes.

I am not talking about airplane only abilities, Im talking about vision abilities.

USF has 1 commander with air recon and it has no arti abilities so his air recon is not benefiting him much except for some intel. It has a second commander with infantry flares and maybe you could use that to second a phosphorus strike drop, but that would be one very expensive not very useful thing to do.

Edit: The recond commander has arti on the doctrinal pathfinders it requires unit range and its tiny, so for the purpose of the argument, its not very relevant.
1 Nov 2014, 05:10 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2014, 03:33 AMdakta

I am not talking about airplane only abilities, Im talking about vision abilities.

I think his point is that different factions have different strengths.

You missed out Mechanized for the USF, which has recon and the best offmap arty strike. Major recon, as bad as it is, is still the only nondoctrinal air recon. Recon doctrine has extended vision rifles, pathfinders have superb vision range, rifle flares are great too considering rifles are generally aplenty when playing USF. Not all recon has to be done by air.
1 Nov 2014, 05:22 AM

that p47 strafe is in one commander,anyways back on topic.

your best vision options for usf arn't recon planes or ability recons, its the units view range it self.. the m20 after a few lvls of vet, has a large sight range, m8 greyhound, pathfinders (cloaked and sitting invis for perma sight), major recon. All you really need is a quick 2 second plane fly by to get a general idea and set up :D 5

as for why they don't actualy have any that stay around, no clue, but these are some options
1 Nov 2014, 06:36 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

the P-47 overflight actually does provide vision. It's a recon overflight in addition to the rocket strike.
1 Nov 2014, 12:48 PM

I think his point is that different factions have different strengths.

You missed out Mechanized for the USF, which has recon and the best offmap arty strike. Major recon, as bad as it is, is still the only nondoctrinal air recon. Recon doctrine has extended vision rifles, pathfinders have superb vision range, rifle flares are great too considering rifles are generally aplenty when playing USF. Not all recon has to be done by air.

This^. OKW only has one good recon, the Spec Ops flare, while the USF has a really good aerial strike the P-47s. So yes the USF suffer in the recon department, but the OKW flare is only on one commander which limits them to no MGs, ambient building spawn infantry, or static defensive buildings(MG nest, Pak43, ect...). Also if you are concerned about the flare being used with the Walking Stuka (which, IMO, is the main reason Ally players really complain about it) then they have fuel starved themselves out of a Puma, so go wreck with a AA Halftrack. :thumb:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 69
Germany 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment