Login

russian armor

Game Freezing Issues

30 Oct 2014, 13:19 PM
Benefactor 115

Trying to make sense of the recent problems most people report abouot game freezing for several seconds, then speeding up to catchup (or showing Defeat screen).

It seems to be linked with lag issues, in my experience it started about 10 days ago (both on Live and Beta), so it seems to have no connection with the game build.
I have it on two different PCs on two different connections (one very good pc with great connection and one decent pc on bad connection).

What's your experience? Might be related to the servers themselves so a note from Relica would be nice, maybe it has to do with some changes they made on the servers to improve response time, or sheer load (game has been on sale/free weekend lately).
30 Oct 2014, 13:39 PM

You may have a good connection, but it doesn't matter.

I have a great line, but I have been suffering with this problem for a long time. When your PC communicates to RELIC battle servers, it must pass through different main frame routers. Each stop at one of these routers is called a hop, until it the communication terminates at the battle server.

If even one of these hops is bad or times out ever so slightly, you'll get this problem. You'll need to execute a tracert (loads of tutorials online) to determine how many hops there are between your PC and the RELIC servers. You'll also be able to monitor the latency (if any) between each hop.

Unfortunately, the more hops there are between your PC and the RELIC servers there are, there is more scope for bad hops to occur.

I haven't been able to find the address for battle servers, to perform my own tracert analysis yet either. All the known addresses looking through google, don't appear to be valid now.
30 Oct 2014, 13:40 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Happened to me a lot in the open beta too. It has always happened for me in live but now it's slightly worse.
30 Oct 2014, 13:41 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

Also @Tatatala I doubt very much it has anything to do with internet connectivity. There's a noticeable performance drop associated with the patch itself. Also this issue happens even when viewing replays offline.
30 Oct 2014, 13:44 PM
Donator 11

I hope Relic fixes some EU servers, the majority of the playerbase is in Europe.
30 Oct 2014, 13:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2014, 13:41 PMRomeo
Also @Tatatala I doubt very much it has anything to do with internet connectivity. There's a noticeable performance drop associated with the patch itself. Also this issue happens even when viewing replays offline.

Yep, I did tests with the replays offline, and it still occurs. However, I played the ai a lot during downtime of the servers yesterday, and I got not a single freeze followed by a speed up. Something is "happening under the hood", that isn't fully explained. My guess is, you're still connected to battle servers when viewing replays.

If it isn't, then there must be a missing/corrupted audio/gfx/ui file for some people, so when the .exe calls for it, the game freezes as it's unable to execute properly, then eventually gives up (the benny hill show).

If the latter is the case, I'm surprised it doesn't cause a lot more CTD's.
30 Oct 2014, 13:55 PM

I should also point out, I've done tests by turning off anti virus and firewalls and still retained the problem. I have gone in offline mode on steam, and still retain the problem.

However, if I disconnect my inet completely, I have yet to suffer the problem. This might be confirmation bias though, so I urge all you guys who have the same problem to test in the same way (disconnect your ethernet/wireless connection), then try it versus ai.
30 Oct 2014, 14:19 PM
Donator 33

It seems totally fixed for me right now, although I'm not holding my breath as it seemed fixed last patch, then it came back with a vengeance about a week later.

On average across all time periods I've had sync issues with between 1/5 and 1/6 of all games.
Would rather it didn't happen, although not sure I can blame Relic as there are like 2 (congested) internet connections to my country.
30 Oct 2014, 14:43 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

I'm experiencing exactly the same issues of you guys. One test you should do is playing the single player campaign, I don't think that's in any way connected to Battle Servers in fact I have no issue there. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
Peru 8
unknown 6
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %