Login

russian armor

Why I cant play COH 2 on the highest grafic settings ?

30 Oct 2014, 19:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2014, 17:56 PMFlamee

I meant originally that the graphics card is most likely the issue. The quote I wrote (about GTX 680) was just example that you can find similar advertisement all over internet, which doesn't make them true, but just out-dated. So please don't think that I was saying that GTX 680 is the fastest card, it isn't.

If someone is still asking more than 300$ from GTX 580, it's a scam. There's no way that anyone would pay more than 300$ about card that is 3 years old already.

About the requirements:

Minimum means that with those specs you can run the game. It's not going to be pretty (or it might not be the smoothest), but you can still play it.
Recommended means that you can comfortably play the game with good FPS. It doesn't automatically mean that you can run it on highest settings. Anything above recommended will improve your changes to run it on highest settings.

Here is a small statistic where you can see how your card performs in CoH2:

So on Maximum quality the average FPS is 24. That really isn't much.

I recommend that you forget now the highest settings and lower the settings a bit.

You can check all other tests from here: http://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/

Nice response Flamee, thank you .
You saw that link i posted where it shows that my grafic card can play the game on the maxim settings ?
So ,its just like going into several doctors ,each one has is opinion.

And Sandreas,it does have SLI suport,directx11,CUDA,3dvision and Physix.
30 Oct 2014, 19:35 PM

Nice response Flamee, thank you .
You saw that link i posted where it shows that my grafic card can play the game on the maxim settings ?
So ,its just like going into several doctors ,each one has is opinion.

And Sandreas,it does have SLI suport,directx11,CUDA,3dvision and Physix.

Yes I noticed that. I also compared the dates and they are almost the same. I don't understand how the difference is so huge.

Therefore, there must be a CoH spirit which just randomly decides how good it runs with different people. :huhsign:
31 Oct 2014, 15:42 PM

I know InsaneDruid, i have PC´s for around 20 years . Im 36 years old , i come from the generation of the first consoles and pc´s.Things have changed ,but, i think that Relic should change the system requirments and or launch a patch to optmize their game. We are getting into a age where people have acess to everything and now more than some years ago, people are getting tired of being stolen when the companies keep selling their games with accords with intels,radeons,geforces,etc to force the customer to keep buying and buying. Its like the cars,or tv´s or any other eletric .
I know my computer will never play on the very high grafic settings, but it should play on med/high with no problem.

Sure, the recommended specs are a bit off, but then again, what if they printed "GTX Titan Z SLI" as the recommended GPU? People would complain and nobody would buy the game. Also, why feeling robbed when a game can actually use the power of modern cards and turn this power into eye candy? Its actual a good thing. When Coh1 came out, who of us played it in maximum settings? A very few, i suspect. But Coh scaled well with newer hardware, preventing it from aging. Now i can play in DX10 Mode, in 4K resolution with tons of FSAA. What if relic prevented higher resolutions, higher DX Modes etc, just so that "max" settings where able to run on cards like the 1950XTX? It would look silly today. And we old chaps (I am still older than you ;) ) should see that we are far from beeing robbed or forced to buy expensive hardware. Since the previous console generation there was stagnation for ages. And even now, you CAN play Coh2. Just not with Super sampling FSAA, or tesselated snow tracks. Such effects cant come for free, they are processing more (MUCH more) information, and thus they cant come for free. FXAA, which is a post filter approximation/blur filter, these things come for free, and coh2 has them available, and the user is free to choose.

I get you oOIYvYIOo but you have to get this too. The Game is very very very poor optimized. The community is saying that since the release of the game. Yes, i know, you should not upgrade your PC because it is (or should be) enough for COH2, Relic is the one who has to optimize the game (Please Relic pretty please).
For pudding sake, it does not have SLI support, what the garden!!!!!!!

As long as SLI and Crossfire means Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR), that does not speed up the render times of an actual single frame itself, and introduces worse frametimes that a single GPU, I could not care less about SLI. The actual Scan Line Interleaving (hence the name) by 3dfx back in the days was a different kind of beast. Both of the two cards rendered a frame together, one rendered the odd lines, one the even. Thus, frametimes (the time to render one frame) was lowered, and the game actually felt faster. (FPS means nothing, frametimes mean everything). Read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

Still, Coh isn't "badly optimized". It runs quite well on small rigs (as said many times, one of the oldest possible cards to run the game at all (ie has DX10 capabilities), the 275/260GTX Midrange cards are able to run coh2 very very nicely), and can scale into the future with bigger systems, too. Also keep in mind that games like COH are deterministic. Given a fixed starting point, the battle can be computed in a way that every single machine in a match displays the excact same things. Just the player inputs have to be distributed between the players, nothing more, every other thing, like position of enemies, etc etc are computed. Unlike a fps game, where the information about the position of the players, bots, etc gets transferred over the net. This is also why replays of older version often cant be played, because they just store the beginning state, and the player inputs, and the whole game with all movements etc just is computed out of this information. Read: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131466/instant_replay_building_a_game_.php
Also, again, what if relic decided to scap the topmost options, just so that all players could say "runs on maxed out options"?

Nah this was a PC

:)I have to get my C 64 out of the closet.^^
31 Oct 2014, 16:38 PM

More than any new units, dlcs and balance patches I wish that they finally get out a optimization patch that let's us run the game smoothly. Since launch the performance had become worse and worse
31 Oct 2014, 18:22 PM

More than any new units, dlcs and balance patches I wish that they finally get out a optimization patch that let's us run the game smoothly. Since launch the performance had become worse and worse

Thats my objective with this topic. Enough exploiting the customer with new grids everytime a game comes out . The games that are the most played in the entire planet , are the ones freetoplay ,like worldoftanks for example . And we all know that the grafics on that game are far from reaching COH2.
Stop with inventing ways and add lag into new games when we all know that its done on porpose due the deals betwen intel´s,etc and gaming companies .
31 Oct 2014, 18:29 PM

i use maximum lvl with my gtx580 and no problem:
-only vsyn off
-smoothing off
31 Oct 2014, 18:42 PM

Borrowing the thread here:

I have an SSD, same CPU as the thread starter, GTX 770, 16GB RAM memory and a half decent internet:

CoH2 still lags like shit every now and then even with the lowest settings. Though I am almost always the first one to load the game. What could be wrong?
31 Oct 2014, 21:50 PM

Still, Coh isn't "badly optimized". It runs quite well on small rigs (as said many times, one of the oldest possible cards to run the game at all (ie has DX10 capabilities), the 275/260GTX Midrange cards are able to run coh2 very very nicely)

I guess you know what you are talking about, i guess.
But tell me this, why almost every game magazine/game site who testet the game, says that it is not well optimized?
And why people with really High end rigs have performance problems?
Not all the above can be wrong, no they cant be!!!

In Greece we say "where is smoke, there is fire".
31 Oct 2014, 21:53 PM
Donator 11

Borrowing the thread here:

I have an SSD, same CPU as the thread starter, GTX 770, 16GB RAM memory and a half decent internet:

CoH2 still lags like shit every now and then even with the lowest settings. Though I am almost always the first one to load the game. What could be wrong?

It could be that as your name is beaver patrol karma is in action. I have none of the lag you describe
31 Oct 2014, 22:20 PM

I have the GTX 780, I've got stable 50 FPS.
That sucks in general for 'games' with such a card, but this game just can't handle much more FPS.
31 Oct 2014, 23:11 PM

Getting back to the HDD and slow game loading

- use HD Tune software to measure the disc transfer.

I've got +-200MB/sec and at this value I am not fastest but above the medium loading time. (mechanical HDD using SATA 600 AHCI)

There are some other system settings you may consider:

1. Main memory timing >=1600MHz and voltage (do not burn it !!!)- if your main memory is BIG but running slow you will get poor performance for sure.
2. PCIe power /system power plan maxed or at windows std/
3. HDD again: for best perf. you need SATA drive/controller using AHCI mode for standard mechanical HDD or use SSD /not so important as SATA 600 AHCI is ok/
4. Main board controllers / google for some info on your south and north bridge controllers/.
Even the best processor and GPU performance may be killed by slow bridges between them = slow main board.

Edit:

One more:

WD Blue ( WD5000AAKX)

Product Specifications
Interface SATA 6 Gb/s
Performance Specifications
Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)
Buffer Size 16 MB
Load/unload Cycles 300,000 minimum
Transfer Rates
Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) 126 MB/s (Max)

this value is strange, a little low ... but you have to do your own investigation.

BTW from your DxDiag output it seems your drive is working using very old ATA interface.
It's speed (my poor memory ...) is 150 MB/sec only. For gaming PC u need 600 (SATA v3)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

Edit2:

The easiest way to check the disk transfer impact on game loading will be to change the Textures Quality option. Going down with it will require less transfer (from disk into GPU memory) on game start.

Little warrning: Windows system is not able to switch the AHCI driver on the go. So even if both your board and drive support AHCI interface and it seems it's only a matter of changing the Bios settings to AHCI do not do that until you are sure what are you doing and you read some info on how to prepare Windows for drivers change to AHCI.
14 Nov 2014, 08:26 AM
Donator 33

To improve loading times pick up a cheap SSD such as the Crucial MX100. It will help a lot.

Apart from that you're only limited by the graphics card. If you upgraded to an R9 290 you'd see a *massive* improvement. As mentioned the recommended specs are only what is needed for a pleasant experience - they don't imply maximum or even high settings.
14 Nov 2014, 08:51 AM

this game can't take the advantage of multi core cpu ,so if you want to get better fps,u have to overclock the cpu first,coh2 really does not require a strong gpu to run well
14 Nov 2014, 09:50 AM

One of the big issues that doesn't get mentioned much is your graphics card's VRAM. Despite what the minimum recommended stuff says, COH2 uses more than 1GB of VRAM on lowest settings in my experience. WFA added higher quality textures and models, so it has also likely increased since launch. On highest graphical settings on the biggest snow maps, expect to use 3.5GB of VRAM easily.

Prior to the very newest Nvidia cards the standard was 2GB of VRAM on most video cards. When a game needs more than that it has to start using slower normal RAM to make up the difference. This can create substantial stuttering in games. This may also cause some of your loading slowness.

You can find out if this is your issue by using a nifty tool from Microsoft: Process Explorer

Simply download and run the .exe from their site.
Then click on the graphs at the top of the window.
This will bring up a new window with more detailed graphs.
Select the GPU tab.

If the reported GPU Dedicated Memory is bumping up against your 1.5GB limit on larger snow maps, then you know you need to turn stuff like textures down until you've got some breathing room. Lower graphics will also reduce your loading times.

Be warned though, even with 4GB of VRAM on my GTX770, snow maps still feel laggy for me despite no apparent system resource being maxed out that I can find. I'm convinced the game does have optimisation issues, particularly since the only other game I know that uses this much VRAM is COD Ghosts with its high textures tacked onto an old engine not designed for them. Still, it sounds like you've got a lot to gain by experimenting.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS